• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding to axle housing

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
what rod and or procedure should I follow when I want to weld something to the housing (cast center section on D30 and d44?). I remember seeing a post about it but I can't find it.
Thanks

I used a high nickel rod and preheated the housing prior to welding then peened the weld while it was cooling. I did this on my front 44 and haven't had any issues. The axle is now in the possesion of member "andy in pa".

I got the rod at the local farm supply. PBB has 'some' good info on the subject. Everyone on there has their own opinion and are quick to bash others, but if you can get through the BS, there is some good info.

flexj said:
I used a high nickel rod and preheated the housing prior to welding then peened the weld while it was cooling. I did this on my front 44 and haven't had any issues. The axle is now in the possesion of member "andy in pa".
How did you preheat? What kind of high nickel rod did you use?

Kejtar said:
How did you preheat? What kind of high nickel rod did you use?

oven in the kitchen?

XJ_ranger said:
oven in the kitchen?
I talked to my instructor (I'm taking a welding class) and we looked at my axle and it looks like my rear D44 tube broke off the lower plug weld and is trying to shift out up (rotate).
So current plan is to clean out the lower part of the tube/housing till it's squeeky clean. Jack up the center section till things look straight (I'll figure out a way of measuring that) and then run short beads of 7018 along the tube to the housing (picked up some fresh out of the oven 7018 from the class supply and stuck it into air tight container as soon as I got home). Well, it iwll be one interesting evening tomorrow. I"ll either fix it and go to swamp.. or I"ll break it and be out looking for a d44 housing in a hurry so that I can go to swamp LOL.

Kejtar said:
I talked to my instructor (I'm taking a welding class) and we looked at my axle and it looks like my rear D44 tube broke off the lower plug weld and is trying to shift out up (rotate).
So current plan is to clean out the lower part of the tube/housing till it's squeeky clean. Jack up the center section till things look straight (I'll figure out a way of measuring that) and then run short beads of 7018 along the tube to the housing (picked up some fresh out of the oven 7018 from the class supply and stuck it into air tight container as soon as I got home). Well, it iwll be one interesting evening tomorrow. I"ll either fix it and go to swamp.. or I"ll break it and be out looking for a d44 housing in a hurry so that I can go to swamp LOL.

we have simialr plights

i have 5 days off between now and swamp and am looking at a d44 housing with no inner knuclkes on it in my garage...
tomorrow is a big day for me -
axle bridge, coil buckets, LCA mounts, and inner c's are all going on...

Kejtar said:
CRASH has a D44 for a great price.

Back