• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend Catch

playwithit

NAXJA Forum User
Went Sturgeon fishing on Saturday. The day was perfect. Too much fun.

We arrived at the ramp by 6:00am and launched my buddy's 20' Bayliner cuddy cabin. We hit the first spot and the wind was hitting it pretty hard. We tried to fish for a while but detecting the soft hit of the sturgeon was just too tough with the boat rocking and rolling.

We moved into a protected area and casted out a mix of ghost and grass shrimp dipped in my home made marinade. I was using 5 oz. of lead as the tide was really coming in. I matched my Shimano 400te using 40lb braid with a 7' fast tip Seeker American Series rod designed for 15 to 25lb line.

Our lines were out for maybe 20 minutes when my light rig detected the familiar sturgeon pump. I picked up the rod and gave the fish about 2' of line. The rod got heavy and I set hard. This was my first time using braid line. The hook up was instantaneous. I set once more for good measure. The fight was on. He had three good runs in him including one that must have been 75 yards. The fight lasted 25 minutes or so and we were both very tired. My buddy snared it and it was brought aboard. Measured 56". Nice keeper.

I caught another Sturgeon that was small and two small Stripers. My buddy caught a 47" Sturgeon.

In reflection after the battle, I may retire the Calcutta down to Striper duty. The current made the fight almost to much although it was a very challenging fight, a small Shimano Trinadad reel might be a better fit for Bay Sturgeon. The setup was up to the task, I may be getting to old for the light tackle pressures and stress.

Here is a couple of pictures of the catch of the day.

2012163-1.jpg

2012158.jpg

2012159.jpg

Wow Kelly, That is a nice fish!

Daamn... you're a tall dude and that fish is almost as tall as you.

Are they good eatin?

Had fried sturgeon nuggets for the Super Bowl party. 4lbs gone in minutes. I am gonna throw 6-8 lbs on the smoker this evening. I got a food saver vacuum packer for Christmas and I have put it to use on the fillets.

Tasty stuff.

Looks like a fun time Kelly...I was down in the Bay area with my wife and in-laws this weekend and the weather was beautiful!

Wish I could have come home with a fresh catch!

Nice Catch!!! I was crackin up when i was reading your post. It sounded like something off FishSniffer.. I have only been out Stugeon fishing once and I froze my ass off and we didn't catch anything.. Either did anyone else that day that we saw.. Just bad luck I guess.

Back