• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

We Survived; KOH 2011!!!

Team Willys

www.rocksolidfab.com
So, first of all, I would like to officially apologize for not being able to make updates before now. Unfortunately, we didn't have any internet access at out campsite while on the lake bed, so we could only communicate through texts and a few phone calls here and there. Anyway, I will be working on uploading all of the pictures and videos of all of the action onto my website, but I have a few highlights and pictures to hold you over until then.

Saturday evening:

Tim and Latney arrive at RSOR headquarters at roughly 9:45 PM eastern time. We began the trailer shuffling and got Bombshell Betty and Floyd the struggle wagon loaded onto the 31' Gooseneck. After a few high clearance mods to the Ram (the step fell broke off while Tim and my father were trying to get in) we were on our way to pick up Mark. Once we arrived in Murfreesburo, we met up with him and got his belongings loaded up; then we were finally officially on the way.

One of many fuel stops:

100_23602.jpg

100_23462.jpg

On the way, we tried to keep in our minds that fuel can be scarce once you cross Ole Miss and get into the western side of the country. Right outside of Amarillo, Texas, we realized that we might have made a mistake. We had seen signs while going through town advertising a big truck stop with diesel, but after drinving all the way through town, we never found it. Out of worry, we decided to break into our backup plan:

100_23502.jpg

After dumping in 10 gallons of reserve fuel, we quickly discovered that the brand new nice travel center was only a few more miles, and we would've made it... oh well. :)

Well, after 42 hours of driving (from Atlanta to Johnson Valley) we finally arrived on Monday afternoon and started setting up camp. It was a gorgeous day, 70 degrees out, sun shining, slightly breezy, but very comfortable.

100_23812.jpg

Then, after a good dinner and some good ole genuine campfire BS, we decided to settle in for a much needed night of sleep. Latney, Mark, Tim, and myself all piled into Tim's larger tent, and my dad pied into a smaller one since we couldn't all fit in one. Slowly but surely the wind began to pick up. Around 12:00 AM, it got absolutely crazy and the tent started giving up at holding off the wind. The poles began collapsing and falling down, and the ez-up had already lost one side to a wind gust. Tim and Latney braved the sand storm like conditions and went outside to batten down the hatches. After about 15 minutes of tying things down, the tent finally started acting like it was going to be ok. At roughly 3:00 AM the wind changed directions and a 75 MPH wind gust ripped one whole side out of the tent. There was a loud boom, and we all awoke to sandy sleeping quarters immediately.

At that point, we had pretty much given up. Tim drug his air mattress under the trailer and staked some things down to build an air dam for protection.

Our new sleeping quarters; Casa De La Goose:

100_2313.jpg

On Tuesday morning we had a few repairs to make, Floyd needed new lower control arm bushings, and Betty's power steering pump died on her late Monday while playing around at camp. PSC got her hooked up though, and a new pump and high volume reservoir were installed.

After all repairs were made, we decided to go watch a few of the final LCQ races going on that day, and then went on a short ride through Chocolate Thunder, and Betty made the trip DOWN trap door (same directon as the real race), pretty crazy stuff! Then back to Camp for dinner and bed.

Wednesday:

We didn't ride any, instead we spent the day watching the 2nd half of the LCQ. Wow, backdoor takes A LOT of HP to make it up! After the LCQ, we were headed back to camp when Betty spotted her secret love, and since she thinks the's the bees knees, it only seemed fair for her to take a picture with him.

Ned Bacon in his Killer Bee showing Betty a little love:

100_2159.jpg

Thursday:

Time for some riding! We decided to go hit some hammer trails; we started out with Jackhammer, and then ran Sledgehammer shortly after.

Top of jackhammer trail overlooking Hammertown:

100_2174.jpg

100_2170.jpg

Then time for Sledge:

100_2185.jpg

100_2188.jpg

100_2186.jpg

100_2214.jpg

And at the end of the Jackhammer trail, where it meets up with sledge, is the infamous mail box; thank God the mail forgot to deliver our bills:

100_2180.jpg

Please wait until after my next post to make any comments!!!

Friday:

Race time!!! Time for the 2011 Griffin King of the Hammers!!!

Before the green flag flew, Camo and Jesse Combs from Pirate (Jesse from Xtreme 4x4) were doing a few interviews to pass the time. I got to talk to Jesse for a few minutes, but unfortunately she wasn't rooting for any east coast guys...

100_2223.jpg

Shannon Campbell (actually won, completed the 120 mile course in 6 hrs 11 mins)

100_2237.jpg

On Jackhammer:

A GMC Ranger (hmmm, a fiberglass ranger body with a GMC logo on the grille???) that was running the Same ORI struts as Betty at all 4 corners:

100_2283.jpg

BamaSahara (one in the back of the picture) from Pirate:

100_2279.jpg

Casey Currie:

100_2275.jpg

And a long line of rigs at back door waiting to go up:

100_2301.jpg

So after the race we went back to camp and relaxed a while. We were all worn out from scaling the mountains on our feet all day.

Saturday we wanted to go wheeling again, so we first hit up Resolution:

This TJ didn't fair so well:

100_2408.jpg

Our turn:

100_2322.jpg

100_2326.jpg

100_2353.jpg

We both made it up without flopping thanks to the correct line and lots of skinny pedal.

Then we hit up Wrecking ball for a little more fun. Wrecking ball is considered to be the most difficult trail in the system:

100_2379.jpg

100_2378.jpg

And the "waterfall" at the end of the trail...

Betty was able to move to the right side line and make it with no winch. Unfortunatey Floyd's brake master cylinder went out and the clutch wasn't happy either. Due to the situation, we decided to pull cable just to be safe. Even then, Floyd kept trying to roll over for a little belly scratching.

100_2386.jpg

Almost done... please don't post just yet...

Last edited:
100_2391.jpg

Then, after riding all day, we decided to head home a day early. Probably a good idea since we all have work to do.

When we got back, most of Hammertown was gone, and the Port-a-pots were full of crap, literally. Tim had to go, so here was the solution!!!! LOL! :

100_2317.jpg

An oxy-clean crapper, reading a JP magazine...

Then we finished packing up and started home.

We got stuck in some traffic, so we got out and took a few pictures:

100_2398.jpg

100_2396.jpg

All in all, a great trip, the wheeling was great, and aside from a few blown tires and a trailer light theif, we had no major issues. Both Floyd and Betty made it home with no mechanical damage, but they both got their fair share of scrapes and bruises. Needless to say, Betty needs some body work on here right side... Wrecking ball put a hurting on her sheet metal.

That's all for now! Be sure to check back soon for a link to the rest of the pictures and the videos!

Bad Ass! Next year I call shotgun in Betty if your Dad isn't going!

Looks like you guys had a blast! Definitely gotta check out some more pics when they're up...

...gotta love Tim's resourcefulness! :)

Last edited:
Sounds liek a good time. My friends where out there(HMC, the film crew) and told me about the windstorm sounds nuts. My buddie also told me Jesse combs was wearing yoga pants, and I filled the cup.....

Thanks for the update. Poor Mark is slammed and I haven't had a chance to get the details.

I had a blast!!!!! One of the trips to remember when i'm old and lying on my deathbed.

The video of Backdoor does it no justice, that ledge is ridiculous! To see guys make that climb without cable is hard to explain.

The wheeling out there is SO different than back east , not really better, just different.

Great thanks go to my travel companions.... the 'never say die' additude by everyone made it easy to laugh off the hardships.

The only mechanical breakdown on my rig was that my brake master cylinder began to bypass on Wrecking Ball, the hardest trail there. Made for an interesting ride for Mark Morton and myself!

Love the pictures! I'm going to get out that way one day!

Someone stole your trailer lights?

Apparently while we were sleeping at the Motel, someone decided they needed the driver's side marker/turn signal light more than we did. When we noticed it was gone, it was clear that someone stole it, all 3 wires were clean cut, and the light and rubber gromet were both missing.

That was a trip of a lifetime but I hope to be able to do it again next year!!!!!

Sleeping in the truck wasn't the best and my sleeping bag sucked but the wheeling was amazing and the rigs were unbelievable. I saw a couple things that I could use too.

Not a problem! As soon as Latney has the files uploaded to the web, I'll try to get the uploaded to my You-tube channel ASAP.

I just saw a lot of the pics that Mark had. Wow! That looked like a lot of fun.

I have the rest of the pics going up now, 1042 of them should take about 4 hrs
KOH 2011

I'll sort them by time/date once they are all up there.

And yes I have most of the videos and no I have not gotten to them I've been working my rear off since I came home which is good and bad. This week looks less hectic so I'm going to try and get them online. If nothing else get them onto some CDs and send them up to Tyler and Mark.

Sorry guys

VERY cool....frekin' awsome!

thanks for the update on your trip out and back Sounds like a blast; I would sure like to go one year even if it just to watch. Great pics too

Back