• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn winch wiring

Jlanesey

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a warn 9.5ti from someone who hasn't used it in awhile. The remote switch is all seized up and I'm waiting for the replacement in the mail.

My question is can I jump a few stab on connectors on my winch to force power in/ power out that way I can make sure I don't need to do anything with the solenoid before I mount it.

Thanks.
usutedem.jpg

Ok well, I jumped f1 on winch to battery positive, A to negative I then jumped A to f2 and nothing.

I'm guessing its a bad motor, and a bad purchase. You live you learn I guess.

I'd have to look it up, but if I remember correctly, the motor has a ground on the bottom, then you feed positive to A and jump A and F1 or A and F2 depending on which direction you want.

Warn Motor Testing Procedure

If you find yourself in a situation where your winch is clicking but it is not working, you may have a motor problem....or you may have a solenoid problem. The following procedure, from Warn, will help you determine the status of your winch motor.

1. Put the winch in freespool.

2. Disconnect the positive lead from the battery (leave the ground lead attached).

3. Label and disconnect the three cables that run from the control pack to the three posts on the motor.

4. Stamped next to the three posts on the motor will be "A", "F1" and "F2". Run a small jumper wire (5"-6" dead lead, 8 ga. will work just fine) from "A" to "F1" and put power from the battery (jumper cables work good) to "F2". The winch motor should run in one direction at this time.

5. Next, place the jumper wire from "A" to "F2" and put power from the battery to "F1". The winch motor should run in the opposite direction at this time.

If these steps are followed correctly and the motor runs in both directions, the motor is good.

If you insist on using an ohm meter.... Run the jumper wire as previously mentioned and meter from the case to the appropriate F terminal that you would have put power to. Then move the jumper wire to the other F terminal and meter to the opposite F terminal. The ohm reading will be very low as you are just metering wire.

Back