• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

War?

row-fail-boat-1.jpg

Soon I'll have enough tards to fill the boat.

Im sure that the SSG on here agrees with me when I say this. You'll never understand why war is needed unless youve seen the gates of hell, You'll never see the good of death unless youve lived it, and you'll never want to go back once youve been. Futhermore, youll never know whats its like to feel wrong for not being there with the men who still are, unless youve been. A nation that stands and looks for the same man for a decade is better than a nation that does nothing at all. We live in the greatest country on the planet, and trust me, Ive seen the world. Ive served with America's finest men. Men who have died, Men who have lost more than any of you on this forum have lost, and they lost it for their country, and they still stand tall and proud. Patriotic men, who fly our colors no matter what, and men who will defend them no matter what. The real heros, the real opinions and explanations you need to understand why we are overseas, belong to those who cannot give them to you. The opinions are buried, some of them are resting 7000 miles away, surroneded in hell. A place that you can never understand unless you go. I SERVED my nation, I ANSWERED when they called. for that I will never forget those who have gave to most. For that, I will support my nation when it goes to war, and I will always honor that flag, I will always pledge alegiance.

-HOOAH

SPC CRAIG ARNOLD---52 Months in, 27 Of those on OIF/OEF, 5 of them involontary.

Why can't someone grow up and give me some reasons we should be in the war. I am more than willing to listen b/c I have an open mind. I don't understand why it's wrong to want my friends to come back from war.

Afghanistan = We were looking for Bin Laden. He left, we missed him.
Iraq = "They tried to kill my dad!"

We broke em, we own them. Next stop appears Yemen.

North Korea has nothing, absolutely nothing of value and are no longer a threat of conventional action against ROK, Japan, or SE Asia. Peoples Republic of China as a neighbor prevents anything other than a few border incursions and sabre rattling.

In war soldiers die. Are today's soldiers and sailors dying for your freedom? Yes, if we didn't keep the terrorists occupied over there, they will be on our shores (more than they are already). Every death is tragic, but in the grand scheme of facts and figures the US has had battles, yes battles, where more people were killed in one day than since 9/11 against the forces of terror.

Can I make it any simpler.

Afghanistan = We were looking for Bin Laden. He left, we missed him.
Iraq = "They tried to kill my dad!"

We broke em, we own them. Next stop appears Yemen.

North Korea has nothing, absolutely nothing of value and are no longer a threat of conventional action against ROK, Japan, or SE Asia. Peoples Republic of China as a neighbor prevents anything other than a few border incursions and sabre rattling.

In war soldiers die. Are today's soldiers and sailors dying for your freedom? Yes, if we didn't keep the terrorists occupied over there, they will be on our shores (more than they are already). Every death is tragic, but in the grand scheme of facts and figures the US has had battles, yes battles, where more people were killed in one day than since 9/11 against the forces of terror.

Can I make it any simpler.

Well said, except that I think Iran might come before Yemen if Israel's trigger finger gets itchy. :D

Hey Eric, it's apparent your stance on the war has changed thanks to your friend that came home recently? Post #34

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=981497&page=3

Do you mind sharing with the class why he came back so against it?

or French? :D

Saturday night and I'm taking a break from writing a research paper on Syria - have to give a 10-15 minute speech on Monday covering history, national/political/military stats and "US interests in the country". Fun.

Holy hell, this is ridiculous. When Cherbear calls you ridiculous, you better listen.

Please don't go off topic.

I'm a fan of french toast aswell.

LOL...x2, my bad :D

I want to make it perfectly clear, I do not discriminate against any toast, that is wrong. Death to all bagels!!! Hi, J good luck on your report, and speach.

The following is what I based my opinions on the war off of. I took me a long time to type it so please take your time to read it before you reply. Feel free to check all my facts and correct me if I am wrong.

Brief History of Iraq

In 1533 to 1918 Iraq was split into three providences under the Ottoman Empire which constantly battled each other. During WWI the Ottomans took sides with Germany and the Central Powers. After the war was over, the Ottoman Empire was divided up under a League of Nations Mandate. The British imposed a monarchy without taking into account the different political and religious views of the separate regions. During the entire British occupation, Shi’ites and Kurds fought for their independence, and didn’t gain it until the Mandate officially ended in 1932. Things were still unsteady for Baghdad’s central government, and many coups and assassination attempts were made. In 1958 Iraq attempted to form a union with Kuwait to battle the rising discontent of the split cultures, but it was still under British rule leaving Iraq’s monarchy isolated. The only way to control the people was with further political oppression. July 14, 1958, the monarchy was overthrown and Iraq was declared a republic. In 1961, Kuwait gained independence from Britain and Iraq claimed sovereignty, leading to further instability. The leader of the republic was assassinated in 1963 (with support from the U.S.), and the Ba’athe Party took power. 9 months later they were overthrown by a coup. Then in 1968, the Ba’athe Party regained power and would remain for years to come. In 1979 the president resigned and General Saddam Hussein assumed power. He quickly built a strong security force to control the people and prevent another coup. Later that year, Saddam discovered that there was a secret group in the Ba’athe party and had them executed. Much to the dismay of the fundamental Muslims, he established a Secular government that gave woman more rights. Iraq was the first country in the region not to be controlled by Islamic law. He then oversaw the seizure of international oil wells, which causes the 73’ energy crisis, and their economy flourished. He used the money to modernize Iraq by offering free education, free hospitalization, and social care systems to citizens. He even received an award from the U.N. for setting an example in the middle east. All this time he also killed anyone who wasn’t loyal and suppressed the people who were opposed. During the 70’s the country experienced rapid expansion. Electricity was brought to every city, roads were built, and new industry was booming. Saddam carefully picked his staff and developed a strong group of followers while this was happening to stay in power. He made it clear that he was the leader and you would like it or die. After the Islamic Revolution in 1979 led by Shi’ite Ayatollah Khomeini in Iran, Saddam was afraid that the large population of Shi’ites in Iraq would again try to overthrow the government. Along with that Iran and Iraq were disputing over who owned land near the border, which lead to the Iran-Iraq war. Iraq was being defeated, so Saddam asked other countries for support, who were more than willing to help because they were afraid of a large radical Iranian influence in the middle east. Among those that helped were Russia, China, and the U.S. Saddam then began using chemical weapons on Iranian forces in southern Iraq, and on the Kurds (non-Arab Shi’ites) to the north, who where trying to create a porthole for Iranian troops to come in. The war was long and gruesome, and Iran refused the U.N.’s call for a ceasefire until Iraq paid war reparations. Then in March 1988 during a political campaign to regain control of their culture, a deadly mixture of mustard gas and nerve agents were dropped on a Kurdish town, killing 5000 and wounding 10000. A few months later the war was over with an estimated one million dead and no one could claim victory. Saddam’s government officials claimed that Iran had dropped the bomb, and so did U.S. analysis until a few years later. Then after the war, Saddam urged Kuwait to forgive the 30 billion dollar debt they owed them, but they refused. Then he urged other country’s to raise their oil prices so he could start paying countries back and re-stabilize the economy, but Kuwait refused. He claimed that Kuwait was part of Iraq, and they were sitting on just as large of an oil reserve, but their population was two million compared to Iraq’s 25 million. Negotiations were attempted and failed. Saddam met with a U.S. ambassador before invading and was told that the U.S. did not want force used and refused to take a side on the border dispute and did not want to become involved. In the 80’s the U.S. gave Saddam 40 billion dollars for the war, and billions more to not become allies with the Soviets, making Saddam’s Iraq the third largest U.S. aid recipient in history. Iraq invaded anyway using the money from other countries to fund the attack. Then the U.S. led a U.N. coalition into Kuwait and drove the Iraqi’s out. After the war was over, rebellions were again arising among the different cultures because of the instability. Saddam’s support group got split apart from the war, and the conservative Muslims were become more powerful. Saddam started to portray himself as a devout Muslim in an attempt to cope with a lot of the population. Repression grew worse and Saddam’s sons became more powerful and evil. And then we showed up.

Now those were facts and these are my thoughts on them.
1. Iraq erupts in civil war whenever there isn’t a strong dictative government controlling the people. Is it a good idea to invade and try to institute democracy? Saddam’s tyranny was a way to control these people.
2. We’re not fighting terrorism we’re fighting groups of people who want to be in control. They’re not fighting America, they’re fighting people that came in and took control of their government. Democracy won’t work when the majority of the population wants the minority dead.
3. We can give Saddam billions to buy wmd’s to use on Iran while we look the other way, why draw the line?
4. Everyone says we just can’t leave Iraq, but were in a 3 way civil war with a little terrorism mixed in between. Why not just let them kill themselves. History always tells the truth but the future is nothing but speculation. These groups have been fight for hundreds of years, why could we stop it?
5. I consider if they weren’t fighting over there, they would be here a bunch of BS. I bet they would be much more satisfied blowing up something here, and the “war on terrorism” in only two countries isn’t going to stop them.
6. As for Afghanistan, I bet Osama’s not there anymore. The Taliban is going to keep recruiting and training elsewhere and throwing them at our troops. It starting to sound like Vietnam.

Am I the only one on this forum that feel that way?

Last edited:
I still prefer french toast.

Test those google skills of yours.

Are you talking about the Reagan era?
If so, I think it's about like Iraq is now. Their longest period of stability in history was only 40 years. There's always going to be a battle between competing groups over there, whether it's us or someone else.

What did you think of my view on Iraq? I didn't get my info from msnbc or xbox

Back