• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walmart only mounts stock-sized tires

sorry i didnt specify. the other $8 was for the disposal fees of the other tires and valve stems and stuff it ended up being $16 a tire

Wal mart is a crappy corporation and I recommend avoiding them.

And It's a bummer that the "retards" have "costed" you $15.

I wanted to buy 235 tires from walmart, but they refused to sell them to me knowing that it was for an XJ. Said the largest size they were allowed to sell for that vehicle was 225. The reason was because tire size affects the castor behavior of the steering.

So ... I asked him ... If I bring the wheels in, will you mount the tires on the wheels. He agreed to that. So I had to take the wheels off in the parking lot and bring them into the tire shop for mounting.

I'm getting sick of WalMart, and I think I'm going to start avoiding them if possible.

Funny, I bought my LT235-75R15 BFG Land Terrains at Walmart and they never questioned them.

I did think it was interesting that my nephew who works for Big-O recommended them after Big-O changed the tread on their A/Ts a couple years ago. According to him the BFGs have better grip, lower noise and longer life.

Walmart is the best. I brought them some tires I had on a Blazer for a while maybe 5000 miles. Told them I bought them from another walmart a couple days before and they mounted them balanced them and gave me lifetime of tire warrenty with 3 free rotations. Suckers!! HAHA

pep Boys here will and does. They put 33 12.50 15's on my DD, no prob with lifetime balance and warranty

langer1 said:
Here in Ohio none of the Chain tire shops will sell and mount oversize tires, with them it is a liability issue.

If you purchased the tires from someone else they will mount anything.

I went to Costco and was going to order some 32 11.50 MT but they told me that I had to get 11" wide wheels. They said it would not work. I told him to show me the policy. He would not show me after I told him his interpretation of said policy was flawed. I walked out shaking my head.

EBXJBOB said:
Costco is another place with odd regulations

They will mount and balance tires that aren't the OEM specified size, but they won't put them on your car

They told me that when I ordered 32s for my MJ at Costco. The guy said I could bring the new rims in and they would mount the tires, but their insurance would not let them install tires on a vehicle that were not an factory option. When I showed up with 5.5" of lift and the stock 225s, the manager said no problem putting the tires on as he would be embarrassed to send me home with such small tires.

At a different Costco, they said "Yeah I think that size was a factory option" when bought 31s for my YJ.

-Chris

Canadian Tire pulled this on me with my Jetta. Got 185/65r/14's put on there when i first got the car then went in a year later to get them replaced with the same and they told me that they couldn't put anything other than 185/60r's on it as it is the oem spec'd size. An argument ensued when I told them they installed the tires that were on there a year ago and the guys flatly denied they could've. went to tirecraft and got some 195/60r's for it.

I've learned never to go to big chain stores for any kind of service anymore. Had so-called mechanics forget to hook up my brake booster after a brake job; not install my centric hub ring after patching a tire as it fell off my hub and he didn't know what it was; strip my oil pan threads from over torquing the drain plug; put 10w30 in instead of 15w40; and even suggest it's time to replace my air filter when I'm running a K&N!

I do as much work I can myself and take whatever else to a couple smaller shops that have come recommended or I've had good experiences with. Don't mind paying a little more to have piece of mind the work has been done properly rather than by a bunch of schmoes.

This is obviously something that depends on the local situation. The Walmart manager that refused to install 235s on my XJ was a real "company man" type of prick. I saw him ream out one of his employees in front of customers -- all the while keeping a smile on his face. It was painfully obvious that he hadn't earned the respect of any of the guys working for him.

Good managers take into account mitigating factors and make sensible judgement calls. Bad managers will only follow the letter of the policy and are perhaps afraid to apply a little common sense to a situation.

Well I used to work, last year, in a walmart TLE. There are no policies or regs covering tire mounts. None. As long as they fit Mal-Wart is supposed to put them on. We had a guy come in with this little toyota pickup, not a tocoma but a tiny sub s-10 size deal. Had 38" thornbirds in the bed, wanted us to install them. Two and a half hours later he drove away with 4 mounted and balanced thornbirds on his beercan truck, the things averaged 10 oz. per side to balance. Got to burn up the POS balancer too:D

Back