• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Volvo Portal axles on an XJ?

I understand the need for big lift due to oil pan clearance, but why can't you run full hydro and move the axle forward a few inches?

I may need to spend a little time crawling under my jeep to see where the pan and pulleys are and where the housing lines up.

I guess you'd probably have to move it forward like 8" or more to avoid a huge lift and clearing the engine/oil pan. Would also probably require a little reworking of the fan and radiator.

Ok, I'll jump this train. First off, if it same size as like a yota 8" but center is on other side, how come it would require a humongous lift to clear the oil pan if it about the size of a d30? And why can't the center be moved to other side? If you cut between the center and the pass side knuckle, and then cut the other side in same location (same distance off the knuckle, and off the center) then take that tube and weld it in place on pass side and close left over gap on drivers side. Poooof, it's a drivers side drop. And you can just switch the axle shafts around. That would then make it almost identical to a d30 in size (except the gear reduction boxes), and it should fit in a stock jeep. And cutting the axle seems to be easier than trying to put a d300 or any other pass side case under jeep and cutting the body under seats to fit it. Then having to do body work. Or is it the size of a rockwell?

mikeNtucson said:
if it same size as like a yota 8" but center is on other side, how come it would require a humongous lift to clear the oil pan if it about the size of a d30?

I think the reasoning with the huge lift to clear is that the axles themselves add 5" of lift as it is. So say your normally run 6" of lift for your 37" tires. to run these axles, and maintain a you're low COG, you would have to run only a 1" lift, which added with the 5" lift from the axles will equal your 6" lift. I've never seen these portals, but even though they might be close to the same size as a D30, the diff is still bigger, and 1" of lift won't be able to clear the oil pan on full bump.

You're other option would be to put in the axles, and add a few inches of lift, say 4", to clear the pan on full bump. This, added with the 5" lift over stock axles, would make the overall combined lift pretty tall for the tire size.

I'm getting together an 8" rk la, so they would not be good. But on a 3" they would. Even a 4"+ la would be good. And for those who like 10' tires on a 5' jeep, the 8" rk kit on portals would be something to invest in before next mudbog event.

Let me know the junk yard were you can find cromo shafts,ctm's, heavy duty drive shafts, an atlas t-case, arb's, detroits and beadlocks at.
I'm not trying to say you can't build a nice rig from junk yard parts. But, at some point when you want the good stuff it's time to get the check book out.

I found an Atlas under a mid-90s XJ at the Pick and Pull in Rancho Cordova today.

FYI.

bored much?

Back