• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Volvo Portal axles on an XJ?

BrettM said:
considering my whole truck, geared, locked with 35s cost less than a pair of Volvos, my only error has been not hitting the lotto jackpot.

my dream truck would be an MJ shortened to 108", Volvo portals or MOG/9s, and 35s.

But 35s are tiny....

42s and portals... now your talking...
I watched JR in his blue Early Bronco buggie do the MATRIX, Portals, 42in TSLS, rear steer, coil overs, 5.0... all the goodies. JRs rig is SICK cool,a nd looks fun to drive, but a little Sami buggie on 35s and low dollar toyota axles was the trail leader.
download.php

Chris's little sami buggie. 1.3L, 8:1 case, toy axles, and 35s.
download.php

Are portals needed? no, but lots of fun if you can swing it.

BrettM said:
factor in all the other costs (pinion, hub conversion or modified wheels, driveshaft mods, links etc) and you're well over $3k which is about what I have in my truck, including purchase price.

Good parts cost money. Anyone can piece a rig together from junk yard parts.

I takes enough research skills, wrenching skills, and mechanical knowledge to build a junkyard rig. If I had enough money I would have just ordered all the parts I needed, but instead I have an 8" lift, radius arms, 4.6L stroker, full width hp44 and 9", and 36" tires for under 4k, and more junkyard parts are on the way.

CW said:
I takes enough research skills, wrenching skills, and mechanical knowledge to build a junkyard rig. If I had enough money I would have just ordered all the parts I needed, but instead I have an 8" lift, radius arms, 4.6L stroker, full width hp44 and 9", and 36" tires for under 4k, and more junkyard parts are on the way.

Let me know the junk yard were you can find cromo shafts,ctm's, heavy duty drive shafts, an atlas t-case, arb's, detroits and beadlocks at.
I'm not trying to say you can't build a nice rig from junk yard parts. But, at some point when you want the good stuff it's time to get the check book out.

BrettM said:
factor in all the other costs (pinion, hub conversion or modified wheels, driveshaft mods, links etc) and you're well over $3k which is about what I have in my truck, including purchase price.
The axles pictured in that link we bought for $1800 ready to bolt in, still running drum brakes and got a set of used USA 6x6 wheels and tires(47 goodyears) for $450 bucks with 95% tread on them. There are deals everywhere, just look. I have an HP44, warns, CTMs,ARB, highsteer , hydro -assit , and an RE bracket kit on that I only have about $1800 in all from shopping around....
Most everyone in my club runs "junk yard crap" more or less but some things you just got to pay for.The real cheap way out is to buy something someone else has built, I'll never build another personal rig when buggys can be had in the 15 to 20 grand range for really badass ones.

Welcome to 2004.

on pirate there is a white cherokee with portals as well.. I'm to busy atm to find it but its there for the finding.

If I wasn't up in the air about what to do with my rig.. I'd sell all the parts I've got sitting around and do it up. I'm starting to dislike how limited I am with it..

I can relate - Land Cruisers are calling me...

guys any pictures of portals and what portals are best im i nan area where some people give stuff away and they dont know what its worth i get 14 bolt axles free all the time as well i had a set of mogs given to me and guess what the city came the very same day and took them from my driveway.Im stil lnot over that yet im not giving up on finding them.so any pics or advise on what ones are best im gunna search them out in a 50 mile radius in a batman like stance.

WPG98XJ said:
on pirate there is a white cherokee with portals as well.. I'm to busy atm to find it but its there for the finding.

If I wasn't up in the air about what to do with my rig.. I'd sell all the parts I've got sitting around and do it up. I'm starting to dislike how limited I am with it..

found the link

clicky

Back