• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Verizon Wireless Apple I-Phone 4

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a Droid 2 for almost 2 years now. It's time to upgrade.

The only thing "new" that the Android market offers is a little faster processor. I want something NEW!

I listen to a lot of music on my phone. I listen to 6-8 hours of music every night while I'm at work. I'd love to have a phone that is a bit more user friendly as far as managing music. I love the way I-tunes works and would love to use it with my phone.

My contract is up in November. Just after the new I-phone "5" makes it's debut. I'm seriously thinking about making the move over to an I-phone. It'll cost me no more for the I-phone than it will to get another Droid.

Should I?

Who's got them? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Would you get another one?

uhm. really? the only thing new about android is a faster processor? sure. so with that false reasoning so you're going to buy a year old device?

the best phone verizon offers right now is the bionic. my dad has it and it kicks ass. if you're up in november, wait. more crazy android devs are coming out in october. and google music > itunes on a phone.

I think you misunderstood what I'm getting at. Maybe I wasn't clear. Keep in mind the only experience I've had with any of these phones is standing in the Verizon store.

Either way I go I plan to wait until November to upgrade. So, if I go with an I-Phone it will be the new one.

I've never messed with an I-phone. So I really don't know what features it offers versus an Android phone. I saw the Bionic in Verizon yesterday and It didn't seem like it was a whole lot different than my Droid 2. All the same operating software. The only real difference I see is that it has a better processor, a larger MP camera as well as a forward facing camera. What other features am I overlooking?

Now, what I really want to get to. How is the Android music software better than I-tunes music? I've never had one single issue with I-tunes music. It works flawlessly. If the I-phone uses the same software as an I-pod then I would BY FAR prefer the I-phone. The Android has no real way to categorize music the way that I can on my I-pod with I-tunes. I already have all of my music meticulously organized on I-tunes for my I-pod.

Surely I'm not using the same Android music software that you're referring to. The software I'm using on my Android for music is the musical equivalent to Microsoft Paint.

My main reason for this thread is to figure out some real world experience as to which phone I need to go with. I use it a lot and I want to be happy with what I choose.

I assume your vote is for an Android phone.

my vote is whatever you want. i prefer android bc i prefer the customization it offers, and i'm kind of an apple junkie.

the bionic has 4g, twice the ram, and twice the processing power of the droid 2. sure, theyre both running (well the droid 2 should be) running android 2.3.4/gingerbread. the bionic will get 4.0/ice cream sandwich next year. google music syncs to itunes, pulls all of your music out of your PC and stores it in the cloud. i like using itunes on my macbook, but google music kicks ass... if i have wifi or 3g/4g, i have all 12k+ (70+ GB)songs in my library at my fingertips.

ever experienced 4g? its insane. its faster than your wifi connection. and its not confirmed whether or not the iphone5 will have it.. sources are leaning more towards no since it will fatten the phone up, and its already confirmed to be a cdma/gsm world phone, so cramming two lte radios in there is crazy. theres also the rumor that there will be a iphone4s and iphone5 released at the same time...

i'm guessing you never looked into customizing/rooting/ROMing your droid 2... google it. and check out custom launchers and themes... you can change the whole look of the phone in minutes.

that being said, if you want it to just 'work,' get the iphone. but an android dev is WAY more powerful, and offers tons more apps without apple's dumb restrictions.

How is the Android music software better than I-tunes music? I've never had one single issue with I-tunes music. It works flawlessly. If the I-phone uses the same software as an I-pod then I would BY FAR prefer the I-phone. The Android has no real way to categorize music the way that I can on my I-pod with I-tunes. I already have all of my music meticulously organized on I-tunes for my I-pod.

Surely I'm not using the same Android music software that you're referring to. The software I'm using on my Android for music is the musical equivalent to Microsoft Paint.

As far as I can tell (on my Ihpone 3GS), the music handling is exactly the same as an Ipod.

Also, you do not HAVE to use I-Tunes.

I have tons of music on my iPhone and have never once opened iTunes on my phone or on my computer.. I use CopyTransManager to add or remove music from my phone.

my vote is whatever you want. i prefer android bc i prefer the customization it offers, and i'm kind of an apple junkie.

the bionic has 4g, twice the ram, and twice the processing power of the droid 2. sure, theyre both running (well the droid 2 should be) running android 2.3.4/gingerbread. the bionic will get 4.0/ice cream sandwich next year. google music syncs to itunes, pulls all of your music out of your PC and stores it in the cloud. i like using itunes on my macbook, but google music kicks ass... if i have wifi or 3g/4g, i have all 12k+ (70+ GB)songs in my library at my fingertips.

ever experienced 4g? its insane. its faster than your wifi connection. and its not confirmed whether or not the iphone5 will have it.. sources are leaning more towards no since it will fatten the phone up, and its already confirmed to be a cdma/gsm world phone, so cramming two lte radios in there is crazy. theres also the rumor that there will be a iphone4s and iphone5 released at the same time...

i'm guessing you never looked into customizing/rooting/ROMing your droid 2... google it. and check out custom launchers and themes... you can change the whole look of the phone in minutes.

that being said, if you want it to just 'work,' get the iphone. but an android dev is WAY more powerful, and offers tons more apps without apple's dumb restrictions.

Ah, 4G. The problem with that is that I live in the sticks and do good to have 3G. From what im told we're 2 years from 4G. So the fact that its 4G will be pointless.

By the way you say Google music works I don't think id be as satisfied. I use subsonic on my droid 2 and can't listen to my music unless I have a good signal which rarely happens when I need my music. I've found that listening to my music from the internal memory doesn't kill the battery near as fast and it always works.

I've never had the urge to root this phone or felt like I needed more control than I have with the oe settings. Does apple offer less control than the oe settings on the droid?

I've been having some software issues with the droid 2 since the new sofware came out 2 weeks ago so I was pleased to hear that verizon is sending me a droid 3 tomorrow.

Ill look into google music and give it a try.

Yes, there is less control of ios vs android. More apps that are good cost money/more money vs android.
I have some google music invites still if anyone is interested. Either post your email addy in my Google music thread or PM me, and I'll send you an invite when I can.

good choice, the only thing I've ever seen decent with apple is their marketing, i didn't even consider getting an iphone when I broke down and got a smartphone

for music I use doubletwist, it converts your itunes into mp3s and has just as much if not more organizational options for your music

Whatever you do DON'T get a Samsung Charge! I've had mine for four months and already had to have it replaced. The used one they sent me still has pretty much the same problems and i'm stuck with it.

I'd be going back up there raising hell every time.

In the 8 years that I've been with Verizon I've made great friends with over half of the employees there. I used to work with 3 of them at a different place. If I go in there and deal with someone that doesn't know me they won't help you worth a shit. But if I go in there and talk to Kyle or Todd they fix me up right every time. I've had issues with my Droid 2 on and off for the past 2 years... I've had it swaped out for a referbed phone at least 5 times. 4 out of 5 of those times all I had to do was tell them the phone wasn't acting right and they'd send me out a new one without even looking at my phone. I even dropped it in a glass of tea once and they sent me one another one with even looking at it. Then, last week when I started this thread I had issues with the software after V2.3 installed on my Droid 2 so I took it up there, told Todd it was acting screwy and he said I'd have a new one by Thursday. Package came in Thursday and it was a NEW (not referbed) Droid 3. Since it wasn't my fault that I had a different phone they swapped out my case, chargers and extended life battery all with new stuff that fit the new phone.

I've heard so many horror stories about Verizon and the only complaint that I have is that I don't get service at work in the plant.

Just to throw my 2¢ in here...

I have the Verizon iPhone 4. It is very easy to sync and backup everything. You already use iTunes so theres no learning curve to the music and updating side of things. The service you get from Apple is amazing. For example, I had my phone for about 2 weeks when I wasnt paying attention and slipped down a grassy hill and essentially threw my phone across a parking lot. It shattered all on the front becaus eI went elcheapo on the case. It still worked flawlessly and I kept it like that for about 2 months till I got around to going to the Apple store. I went in, told them I had been a dumb ass and broke my phone. He punched in some numbers, came back that I had not replaced the phone before, and voila, I had a brand new phone within 15 minutes at no charge. The people at the Apple store will always be willing to help you fix something if theres an issue and theres typically no charge. The phone its self is enough for me to want it over android(ive had two other androids before this btw) due to the ease of customizing the way things look and interact on the phone. Jailbreakme.com from the phone and you download Cydia. Then the skys the limit on what you want to do to the phone. You can, almost quite literally, make it do whatever you want besides blow you and make you a sandwich. Battery life is pretty good when using the phones most draining apps, and when your in stand by it will stay alive forever. I use Pandora 1 and my iTunes everyday. Pandora drains much more than iTunes of course, but the itunes will play all day and barely dent my battery life. the ease of use and ability to fix anything you mess up with the iPhone is amazing.

So, in summation, ease of use, customization, and the service you recieve at the Apple store is more than enough to get this phone over anything else on the market. I wouldnt step into a verizon stroe to save my life when it comes to figuring out something with the phone, and in this case, you never have to. Unless you just want to say hi to your buds haha.

So its probably more like 50¢ worth of my opinion, but there you go.

I'll stick with my chewed up droid 2 global before i get an iPhone! :puke:

also, insurance for said iphone (the 4 or 5) is going to be double than any droid smartphone... iphones fall into tablet categories (as per apples decision)

also, insurance for said iphone (the 4 or 5) is going to be double than any droid smartphone... iphones fall into tablet categories (as per apples decision)

theres no reason to buy insurance for the iPhone. unless you like to break it more than once. if it ever fails internally(hardware/software) you just take it to Apple and they fix it or give you a new one.

And FlexdXJ, you just dont want to get one cause you think your being a non-conformist. :rolleyes:

And FlexdXJ, you just dont want to get one cause you think your being a non-conformist. :rolleyes:

Thats not it at all. I have friends and family members with them and I just don't care for the damn things. :D

I went with an iPhone (4) because of the intuitive UI, sharp aesthetics and materials used - I don't like my devices wrapped in plastic. That said, the first day I got it, I dropped it in the parking lot and chipped the glass. Also, whenever I'm out hunting or fishing I tend to be the slightest bit worried of how the environment might affect the device. I also use a Mac here at home and at work so that benefit had to be taken into account with the new cloud service coming up.

When it came time to get a smart phone, the biggest thing I looked for was a user replaceable battery. I've got a 30g iPod Video and it's been grate since I got it in late '04, but I'm not thrilled with not being able to replace the battery myself easily, or without searching out how to on line.

Back