• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uwharrie Volunteer Work Weekend

Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!! It's nice to be able to help contribute. I'd like to be there in person but, well...maybe one day I'll make it over there.

Hope everything goes well.

I know Im not the only person from NAXJA in North Carolina who plans to be at this workday?

Someone? Anyone?

You probably are. I unfortunately was informed that my parents that live in Florida will be in town that weekend so I will miss it.

Yeah I saw that, family comes first, completely understandable.

Just hoping to convince a few people who may spend the weekend sitting around doing nothing to come out and accomplish something. It has proven extremely difficult, not only on this forum, but 2 others I am on, and also with my personal wheeling buddies.

It baffles me sometimes why people don't want to participate in the workdays. There are so many benefits to volunteering on the OHV Trails its unlike most volunteering situations. You in all reality are apart of a group that has more knowledge about what is going on (new trails etc) with the OHV System, you have a level of authority that regular wheelers don't, and you get to network with a great group of people. All the while you are helping keep the trails open for us to use, and future generations. Its a win win for anyone that volunteers.

Last edited:
So it looks like you met your goal!

Yes we did, and a big thanks to NAXJA for making a huge part of it possible! What ever money we can raise from this point out will go to Diesel fuel for the 2 machines, hopefully diesel will keep going down so we don't have to spend too much money on fuel.

Here is the updated list of work from Terry Savery:

Badin Lake OHV Trail Complex

Work for June 18, 2011 work weekend

These sites have all been flagged and numbered. The flagging used was orange and the numbers on the flagging correspond to the tasks listed below. Also, in general use Bobcat to clean out the outlet ditches on Slab Pile, Dutch John & Rocky Mountain Loop Trails.

1.) Slab Pile Trail near the Wolf Den junction – drain out the lead out ditch with equipment.

2.) Slab Pile Trail near the Wolf Den end – Reshape the ephemeral channel crossing, rock armor the crossing with about 8 to 10 loads of rip rap (6” to 10” rock). Armor the approaches to the crossing for about 10 feet on both sides of the crossing. Clean out the downstream side of the crossing (south side of trail) and armor about the first 5 feet of the outlet ditch. This crossing goes diagonally across the trail. After the channel is reshaped and armored block off the bypassing area with 4 long rails of guardrail and 5 posts.

3.) Slab Pile Trail – fella large hazard tree, large hardwood that does have trail markers on it. This tree has been flagged (the bushes at the bottom of the tree have been flagged & notes are on the flagging). After felling this tree use it to block of the bypass and also slash in the bypass with other downed trees and slash and there is also a small dead tree at the bottom of the bypass that could be felled and used to block off this bypass.

4.) Slab Pile Trail – there is a section of trail where ATV’s are going up and around sections of trail (downslopefrom a split rail fence that is about 30 feet off the trail) that need to be slashed in for about 100 to 200 feet. Winch dead and down trees from both sides of the trail to slash these sections off to keep people on the trail.

5.) Slab Pile Trail – there are folks driving down the outflow ditch from one rolling dip down the hill to another rolling dip. Install hay bales at the outflow ditches (about 15 feet or so from the actual trail) for both of these rolling dips and slash in the outflow ditches between the trail and the hay bales to discourage people driving off the trail. These are up hill from a small creek.

6.) Rocky Mountain Loop Trail – use hydraulic breaker to bust up rock and boulder/bedrock ledge on the lower ledge that is on the downhill from Kodak Rock. The ledge area the bust up is on the left side of the trail as you are climbing up to climb over Kodak Rock. Use the rock and dirt from breaking up the bedrock/boulder and from on-site to fill in the downhill side hole of the ledge. Compact the soil as much as possible with the equipment available. Also, there are a couple of dead and downed trees in the middle of the trail that can either be used to block up the middle section of the trail to keep people separated to either the hard rock climbing section of trail (right side of trail) or on the easy rock climbing section of trail (left side of trail) OR the dead trees can be used as a boundary or curbing on the down slope side of the trail to keep people from going off the trail on the down slope side.

7.) Rocky Mountain Loop Trail – After climb up and over Kodak Rock and you’re driving down hill there are three areas to block at the same time to block of a large bypass. There are upper, middle and lower sections that needto be blocked off with guardrail. Upper Section– install 4 long rails with 5 posts. Middle Section– install 2 short rails with 3 posts. Lower Section– install 1 long rail with 2 posts. At the top of the bypass use the hydraulic breaker to bedrock in the middle of the easy section of the trail (the right side of the trail as you’re driving down the hill). This bedrock is the just down slope from the flagging hanging on a tree in the middle of the trail. I think beginners or people in stock vehicles get a little freaked out in this rock section and so they are going down this bypass even though the section of the designated trail isn’t really that bad.

8.) Rocky Mountain Loop Trail – This is the crossing that Kelly Cagle and his group worked on at the May 21stwork weekend. Dig out / reshape the outflow ditch section and finish armoring the crossing and the outflow ditch with an additional 3 loads of rip rap of 6 to 8” rock. There is a little bit of rock still there. STOP SIGN MISSING AT THE INTERSECTION OF ROCKY MOUNTAIN LOOP TRAIL AND FR 553 ACROSS FROM THE NEW BRIDGE. INSTALL NEW STOP SIGN.

9.) Rocky Mountain Loop Trail - Drain mudholeand remove logs that are in front of the guardrail that was put up at the dispersed camping are up on the hill. Also, reset the guardrail post at this site.

10.) Rocky Mountain Loop Trail – Install 1 long rail and 2 posts on the edge of the trail to block ATV’s and dirt bikes from driving off the trail to go around the new short culvert and into the stream. Use the logs that are between sites # 9 & 10 or from the stream crossing on Slab Pile Trail at the Dutch John Creek corduroy crossing for Dutch John Trail site # 15.

11.) Dutch John Trail – At the hill climb at the Slab Pile end – Remove all of the hog wire fencing materials that are at the top, middle and bottom sections of this entrenched hill climb. Remove some of the broken split rail fencing materials that are at the top of the hill climb and replace them with guardrail. Connect the two ends of the split rail fence that are still intact with 5 long rails and 6 posts. There is orange flagging on the 2 sections of split rail fencing that are to be kept in place. At the bottom of the hill climb remove all of the hog wire fencing and remove the split rail that is on the north and west side of the trail and replace the bottom of the bypass with 2 pieces of short rail and 3 posts (this is where the split rail is piled up at this time). On the inside curve (on the south and east side of the trail) fix the split rail fencing and extend it to the camping area. If there is additional split rail materials haul them to site # 18 where split rail will be added to a site.

12.) Dutch John Trail – Guardrail 3 spots of a long bypass. On the top add 2 long rails and 3 posts, in the middle section add 2 long rails and 3 posts and at the bottom add 1 long rail and 2 posts. See the orange flagging at these sites marking the general locations of the guardrail.

13.) Dutch John Trail – The first corduroy crossing that you cross after going down the hill is quite loose and looked a bit busted up. Need to re-tighten the cables and check the cable to make sure it hasn’t broken.

14.) Dutch John Trail – This is at a mudholethat is on the long flat section along the creek where the trail starts to get very rocky. At this mudhole take the spit rail fence down, drain the mudhole, cut back the berms and fill in the trail tread and try to outslope the trail. If can’t get it to outslope reshape the outlet ditch and install 2 haybalesabout 10 feet off of trail at the end of the outlet ditch and then put the split rail fence back up.

15.) Dutch John Trail – At a corduroy crossing add between 15 to 20 long pieces of corduroy logs to the corduroy crossing. There are already 9 to 10 log pieces there. Can get more logpieces from Rocky Mountain Loop Trail next to site # 9 & 10 or from the stream crossing on Slab Pile Trail at the Dutch John Creek corduroy crossing. Need new cable here or need to splice broken pieces together. Bring the short pieces we have from the work center.

16.) Dutch John Trail – Drain mudhole and reshape the outlet ditch and add 2 hay bales at the outlet and then armor the mudhole with cobble / rip rap from on-site source.

17.) Dutch John Trail – This is the big corduroy crossing that had the tree cleared out at the May work weekend. The cable is busted and some of the logs are busted. Replace the broken log pieces and add new cable or splice cable pieces together. Can get more log pieces from Rocky Mountain Loop Trail next to site # 9 & 10 or from the stream crossing on Slab Pile Trail at the Dutch John Creek corduroy crossing.

18.) Dutch John Trail – At the dispersed camping area near the Wolf Den end of the trail where there is already split rail fencing in place. We want to allow camping but block vehicles and ATV’s from going back to the campsite. They can park at fence and walk back to camp. Fix the broken pieces of split rail and then connect the two sections of split rail with about 12 sections with 11 posts (should be able to connect to the end posts of the 2 sections of fencing that are already there). Use the pieces of split rail fencing that aren’t used at the bottom of the hill climb. I need to count how many sections of split rail were left out there in May.

19.) Falls Dam Trail at the intersection with Wolf Den Trail – Remove exposed culvert, cut back berms and fill in the trail – may need to cut trees – reshape a channel where culvert is and then armor it with rock from on-site.

Carsonitesigns needed at the following locations. These sites are not flagged. If they don’t get installed on June 18th let me know and we’ll work on them in the future.

Junction Slab Pile & Wolf Den

Junction Slab Pile & Dutch John & Rocky Mt. Loop

Junction Daniel & Rocky Mt. Loop

Junction Morgan & Rocky Mt. Loop

Junction Morgan & Dickie Bell

Junction Dutch John & Fraley

Junction Slab Pile & Saw Mill & Fraley

Junction Saw Mill & Rocky Mt. Loop

Junction Rocky Mt. Loop & Dickie Bell

Junction Wolf Den & Dutch John

Junction Dickie Bell & FR 553 – need 2 on both sides of the crossing

Junction Rocky Mt. Loop & FR 553 - need 2 on both sides of crossing

Junction of Dickie Bell & Green Gap Road – need 2 on both sides of the crossing

Those that didn't attend, didn't miss much. We had 1 machine de-track twice, and we had the other machine de-track once. We didn't have the tools to get the repairs done, so it took hours to get the machines rolling. By that time the weather turned, and we had trees falling over on the trails and the roads. We didn't get the machines out of the trail system till 11:30PM at night.

We still got a lot of work done thanks to 5 hours of work Friday, what got done by the hand crews, and what got done when the machines were running. The Forest Service is happy with what we got done, and that says a lot. There are some things that could have been done differently, and hind sight is 20/20. So work got done even though we had machines break down, and we made the best of it. Thanks again for the support from NAXJA.

Sorry it didn't go according to plan but like you said, the Forest Service was happy and I guess that was the ultimate end result. I'm glad you got at least some of the work done and even though I couldn't make the trip personally I'm glad NAXJA and the SEC could help out.

Wanted to give you guys an update on the funds raised back in June. The rental company only charged us for one day (8 hours) on the machines, even though we logged over 8 hours on each. That left us with an additional $300 when everything was said and done. So this past weekend we rented another Bobcat, we were shooting for a wheeled machine to avoid track issues but the rental company couldn't get us one. So they gave us the tracked machine at the price of the wheeled one saving us around $50. ALSO since we didn't get to use the hydraulic breaker attachment rental in June the rental manager gave us a FREE breaker rental. So I called out of work Friday to meet up with the Forest Service to pick up the Bobcat, and we got the ball rolling.

bobcatpickedup.jpg

Friday I drove the Bobcat while the Forest Service (Terry, Drew, and Sarah) hiked the trails. We got 2 areas of rock breakup work done with the breaker, including widening a bypass to make it easier and safer to traverse.

rocksbrokenup.jpg

We worked 5 hours logging about 4 hours on the bobcat. Saturday I came back and with a group of about 15-20 people we split up to get more work done. We switched to the bucket on the Bobcat and got rolling. We filled in a mud hole blocking a dispersed camping area, re-shaped a tail ditch and armored it across with rocks, plus removed a busted culvert and armored it with rocks also.

bobcatculvert.jpg

When it was all said and done we still have $75 left over from June, and out of the LONG list of 19 projects we have completed approx 13 of them. 11 of those were with the use/aid of the machines in June and now in September. So with the use of the machines so far we have been able to shave off one month (one workday) on this work list/project list. It was estimated to take 4 months, and it will only take 3.

Combine the above with the projects in June including the major mud hole that was drained and re-shaped, log bridge crossing that was re-built, tail ditch that was completely re-vamped and armored with rock, guard rail that was put up, and the other smaller projects we have more than gotten our monies worth out of the machines and then some.

Thanks again to NAXJA for the $600 donation that really made not only the June work weekend but the September work weekend possible. There is still a lot more work to do, we have another at least 2 equipment rentals this year so hopefully we will end this year with a record amount of work completed. ;)

Thank you for the update!

That's awesome, thanks for letting us know the progress. It's good to see cooperation between users and the Forest Service.

We have been very fortunate that the people we work with in the Forest Service really support the OHV cause so to speak. They don't want to see Uwharrie shut down just as much as we don't. So it really makes it worth the time to come out there every month and do what we can.

One of the guys just posted a video from the workday. Its what we call our "crowning achievement" from the rock armoring the stream/drainage crossing. We put down rocks all the way across the trail and 10 feet into the tail ditch (drainage ditch/stream) on each side:

http://youtube/jHaQs2teZUc

(Every rock you see there including the big ones were put there by us)

Way to go raider! Glad to hear people are still fighting for the trails. someday i will finally make it down there...

Back