• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading car audio - please check my wiring diagram

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
I already had some of the wiring laid down for my old system, such as the 4ga power cable, the 12ga sub cable, and the 16ga speaker cable.

Here are my components and ratings:

AMPS

Alpine MRP-M500
Per channel into 2 ohms: 500W RMS x 1

Polk 500.4
90 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (125 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)

SUBWOOFER

Alpine SWR-1042D dual 4-ohm voice coils
power handling: 200-500 watts RMS (250 watts per coil)

SPEAKERS

Alpine SPR-13C 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers
power range: 2-90 watts RMS (270 watts peak power)

Alpine SPR-13S 5-1/4" component speaker system
power range: 8-100 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)

Does my wiring diagram look sufficient enough to get the most out of my system? BTW, the reason that there is a 125amp fuse at the power cable near the battery is because as I understand a 125amp fuse is the most that I can put on 4ga power cable, even though theoretically I should have a 140amp fuse.

29069_1466594274786_1531425432_1146121_426082_n.jpg

Thanks in advance.

BTW the head unit is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 with three 4v preouts. Two sets of RCAs are going to the Polk 500.4 and the other RCA to the Alpine MRP-M500.

The subwoofer is wired in parallel for 2 ohms. The Alpine amp is a mono channel and the Polk amp is wired for 4 channels, one channel for each speaker.

Looks OK to me.

Looks good, but try to keep your speaker wires seperated (or atleast shielded) from the amp's power wires. You will hear engine noise if you dont

I'm running 5.25" because I didn't feel like cutting open the stock locations.

All the wiring is laid down, and everything is already installed except the Polk amp, I'm just checking to make sure everything "looks" good. I still need to add the fuses and distro block, it's currently on my to do list.

Are you sure about having to cut? I'm running 6.5s in the front without cutting. The rear soundbar was a little tight, but no cutting, just couldn't use the stock covers.

I guess it depends on the 6.5s you want to run. I've seen where others have had to cut to fit 6.5s, but I've also seen 5.25s that need to be cut to fit too. But isn't the mounting pattern for 6.5s different than those of 5.25s?

Stock speakers in a 97+ are ~6" front, 5.25 rear. The mounting holes can vary between brands of the same size. I'm running 6" speakers (Kicker DS600) up front, and still had to redrill a hole or two- the stock speakers only had 2 screws in my heep. They would also have fit in the rear soundbar, although I have the earlier (separate piece) soundbar. Haven't messed with the later, integrated bar. I believe the main obstacle in the fronts is the depth, more than the diameter. Several models of 6 and 6.5 fit with no cutting required. Polk and Infinity are two brands that I've seen mentioned repeatedly- I believe they both offer "shallow" versions as well.

Well the stock speakers in my 2000 sport were 6.5" all around. No cutting or trimming was needed. Even used the stock grills on the sound bar. I'm running memphis and had no problem. I was just asking. I wasn't sure if they changed it for the 97 up. Your wiring diagram looks good though. Post pics when done

Defiantly do the 6.5's!!! when i first did my audio setup i ran all 4 corners with 5.25" and it was aight... i soon after got a good deal on some 6.5's and i picked them up. SUCH a difference.. i am so glad i did. I had to cutout the rear soundbar a lil, it took like 10min and fit like a glove.

You might want to include new wiring to your head unit, isolating main power from the factory dash wiring.

It tends to prevent dash light and gauge pulsation, It depends on how much your head unit is pulling and if you are using preouts.

Well the stock speakers in my 2000 sport were 6.5" all around. No cutting or trimming was needed. Even used the stock grills on the sound bar. I'm running memphis and had no problem. I was just asking. I wasn't sure if they changed it for the 97 up. Your wiring diagram looks good though. Post pics when done

30049_1479961968970_1531425432_1180018_7813737_n.jpg

Finished up this weekend, that Polk amp is badass. I have absolutely no alternator whine, which I had a ton with with my old 15 year old Alpine 4 channel. The Polk is really loud too and sounds really clean.

Back