• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unintentional front swaybar delete

I've lifted many jeeps and other coil sprung vehicles and never messed with those dangerous spring compressors!! 80% of them were using jackstands and a jack.

Once you know how to do it, it's easy. Disconnect the LCA, just one bolt, at the axle. Then disconnect the shocks. Now, jack the body up on one side, and the axle will droop enough to drop the spring out. Pull the spring out, throw the spacer up there, then throw the spring back in.
If you were putting big springs in there you might have to disconnect the steering too...but for a spacer, the shock and LCA should do the trick.

The LCA bolt should slide right back in no problem. Just use the jack to get the axle back in it's regular position and then use a rachet strap on either something infront of you or the rear axle to position the front axle just right so that you can slide that bolt right in. It helps to have a friend....they don't even have to know anything about working on jeeps, just to be able to hand you tools and be a second set of hands.

I think spacers are harder to install than just lift springs. We just put a 3.5 re lift in my fathers jeep and there was no need for a compressor. The uncommpressed length of the re 3.5 was the same as the stockers we pulled out. The shop owner here took the torches to the old evil compressor the same day the clamshell compressor showed up.

sure small lifts have no need for coil compressors. but if your going to 4-5 inches good luck trying to get those in without compressors. i use them all the time and never have a problem. start out turning each compressor only a little bit and make sure they stay on opposite side of the springs

to all those saying how dangerous spring compressors are, MAN UP. wheres the details of the failure?
were they being used properly when they failed?
were they being tightened down evenly, with the safety chain holding the long bolt to the coil?
was alcohol/stupidity involved?

some of us still use them, i for one have never felt unsafe except reading about them here on naxja.

I guess maybe I didn't mention I installed the RE 3.5" lift and needed more so I added a 1.75" spacer which ment removing the 3.5" spring installing the spacer then reinstalling the spacer with no problem, thats over 5" of lift . As long as you support your chassis high enough and disconnect any linkage that stops the axle from dropping it should not be a big deal .

I'm running 7" of lift, RE 5.5 + ACOS, and I've never used a spring compressor. I've also never had to remove a LCA bolt either. I put the jeep up on 6 ton jack stands with a 1.5" pad under the jackstands. I place the jack stands on the frame rails behind the LCA mounts. Next I Put the axle on smaller jack stands. Then disconect the trackbar and shocks. Take the wheels off. Remove lower bumpstops. Then lower the axle at one end at a time with a floor jack. That's all it takes to be able to slide the springs out to the rear side of the axle.

Also I can unseat either front coil without disconecting anything with just a highlift jack, not that that is of any use.

Back