• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 xj wont start unless wot

kjcain

NAXJA Forum User
The engine will just turn over and not fire. You have to hold the throttle wide open and then it starts. It sounds like it has a cam and smells like fuel . When you tap the throttle it cuts out like a Rev limiter and will eventually clear up. Sometimes while driving it will cut out. IIt has some codes - 12 , 22 x 2 , 33 , 35 , 55. The cat has been removed . It has a rough country cold air and throttle body spacer. I've replace the fuel filter, tps , iac , temperature sensor , ac compressor, cleaned the throttle body . I've replaced the oxygen sensor 2x . First one was a bosch second one is NGK. When the oxygen sensor is plugged in it would surge and then almost stall out. So I unplugged the oxygen sensor and it would start right up. I checked fuel pressure and at idle is around 30 psi. This issue just started yesterday (5-20-24)

Varmint #1 was having a similar problem. I had him swap fuel injectors and that solved it. I then sent out his old fuel injectors to have them serviced. One of them was stuck in the open position. The servicing fixed it.

You could try reading your spark plugs. Odds are good you will be able to see which cylinder is the culprit and just replace that injector. However, given how far out of balance every set of injectors that I have ever sent out for service has been I would advise either replacing or servicing all of them. From my experience, junkyard sets are also very much out of balance.

Thank you for a direction to go . I'm tired of shotgunning parts at it . I'll return with results

Well I changed the injectors and replaced the spark plugs and it made a difference. But I still have one code that keeps coming back . Code 22 . I have replaced the coolant temp sensor

94 has two sensors. One on front of motor and one on the back of the head. If I remember right the one on the front only controls the fan or is it the temp gauge? The one on the back sends temp to the computer. I could be remembering wrong. I would make sure the sensor on the back of the head is plugged in and good.

94 has two sensors. One on front of motor and one on the back of the head. If I remember right the one on the front only controls the fan or is it the temp gauge? The one on the back sends temp to the computer. I could be remembering wrong. I would make sure the sensor on the back of the head is plugged in and good.
Opposite. back is gauge only, front is computer and fan.

I cannot find the second one. There isn't anything on the back of the head by the valve cover and intake. The front one I have replaced . I checked it with a ohm meter and as it heats up the numbers go down. Also I noticed the electric fan comes on as soon as I start the vehicle. Nothing heater wise is turned on nor is the ac.

I just scanned the jeep and it has a code 21,22,27. I erased the codes and the 21 and 22 come right back. If that helps at all ?

I'm about done with this P.O.S . I stopped at a stop sign and it almost stalled out and when I gave it throttle it was puffing smoke out of the intake then died. I had to hold the throttle to the floor to get it to start. When it fired it was backfiring and stumbling. Held it to the Rev limiter and it cleared up. But when letting off the throttle it would try to die. Still the same 3 codes. I'm about to rip all of this jeep stuff out and do an LS swap

sounds like the idle air controller is sticky. The gas pedal is an air pedal that opens the butterfly valve. At idle the computer controls air flow by opening the IAC. If the valve sticks it won't get any air and you have to manually work it with the pedal.

sounds like the idle air controller is sticky. The gas pedal is an air pedal that opens the butterfly valve. At idle the computer controls air flow by opening the IAC. If the valve sticks it won't get any air and you have to manually work it with the pedal.
That has been replaced. When the engine is running and I unplug it , it will die

I just scanned the jeep and it has a code 21,22,27. I erased the codes and the 21 and 22 come right back. If that helps at all ?
  • 21 Oxygen sensor signal doesn't change (stays at 4.3-4.5V). Probably bad oxygen sensor
  • 22* Coolant sensor signal out of range - May have been disconnected to set timing
either of those would lead the computer to apply an incorrect fuel ratio

The other hot-word you used is WOT. the MAP sensor determines air pressure (needed to apply proper fuel mix) but is ignored at WOT; if it's giving incorrect readings then you'll get the wrong fuel mix from that too

Last edited:
Back