• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TwoWheelTalk

. If I'm doing a full day of dirt with no tarmac I switch back to a totally dirt oriented knobby. .
This. Most of my time will be spent off street. I reall am just looking for the DOT stamp.

A lot of what im riding is creek bed type stuff. Lots of loose gravel, rocks, pebbles. As well as trails with loose rock, dirt, roots.
I like as aggressive as possible. I ran a damn near knobby rain tire on my streetbike lol. I feel like I ran more aggressive tires on my streetbike than the 43 appears to be. My buddy has them on his DR and I don't like the way that bike moves around at all, specifically the wash in the loose gravel/rock turns or downhill. But I also just don't like the DR lol. im gonna go down and have a look at some other tires and see whats up. Thanks

If your riding is truly technical you'll end up on a trials tire in the rear. Knobbies wear out fast and don't hook up. I'm tellin' you man. Looks aren't everything. Knobbies seem more aggressive but they only hook up in loamy dirt.. Something we aren't blessed with here in Colorado. Not our trails at least.

My last post where I said I switch to a dirt oriented knobby was strictly for the front end. Like I said, I'll never go back to a knobby in the rear, ever. Unless I move to the Pacific Northwest where it's usable.

The only discrepancy being that if I ride in the snow or mud (which is rare) I'd switch to a knobby in the rear. That's the only thing a trials tire doesn't do well in, because it doesn't clean itself out well.

Run a tublliss set up or HDD tubes and 6PSI in a trials tire out back and you'll be hard pressed to get it to break loose unless you're in the graveled granite. Then again nothing hooks up in that stuff, it's all about maintaining speed. Which a trials tire does well too, because of it's massive sidewall.

I'm just trying to save you some money in the long run. You'll replace knobbies 3 times more frequently. The 43 is money here in Colorado. Shoot over to the ADVRider forum and bounce around with searches for that tire in the Rocky Mountain regional forum. People swear by it. Plus, if you do any tarmac at all pretty much one trip is all you'll need to completely ruin a knobby completely and round off the knobs.

The DOT approved knobbies are so much harder of a rubber compound to combat the heat that road riding generates that they'll never do well in the dirt, they just won't.

I've been around the tire block... Spent thousands of dollars on tires for my dirt bikes. I'm just letting you know what works.

Ya that's why im considering getting two wheel sets when I go to the new bike. Street specific and trail specific.
I don't do much technical stuff. Its mostly open trails. lot of throttle, not too much single track. Just fun runs really.
Tire spin isn't a problem to me. As long as its predictable spin. I actually like tire spin on a bike, it is just how ive learned to ride. I hate slip, the I cant get traction if I tried alternative to spin. Finding how it all transitions to dirt is still a learning curve to me, but that my riding style. I guess.

two wheel sets is ideal, but expensive. You also have to consider changing your rear sprocket when you swap wheels otherwise you'll ruin your final drive(chain/sprockets) assembly.

I keep saying I'll get another set of wheels for winter for some studded tires, but I never do.

Are you getting a WR250R or WR250F?

Preferring the R over the F due to easier to plate. But it will come down to what is available and price lol.
An extra set of wheels is pricey, but not as pricey as being totally unhappy, or nearly as pricey as a stunt bike so its a wash as far as im concerned. I do agree about gearing. Currently running a 52 on rear now and for the street that would definitely be a bit much. Luckily while I still have this one it will only see short County Road jots up to work so nothing to worry about.

Im headed tomorrow before work to demo ride some different tires and see what I think. Sadly wont be much of a demo, but enough to get a feel.

Whats your opinion on the MAxxis up front?

A 52 shouldn't be too bad considering your 6th gear.

Maxxis... I always seem to chunk mine. The Desert IT holds up for a while and has decent traction but they seem to wear poorly on the jagged rock abuse here. The Maxx-Cross IT's do better, wear a little longer, provide less traction when the going gets tough but do better on the road.

Kenda's K760 is another option for an economic front DOT tire.

I do highly suggest going with DOT tires for a couple of reasons; Emergency braking on tarmac, low siding on tarmac(front tire simply washes out), grooved concrete road, and in the event of a traffic collision if you're not running DOT tires your insurance could refuse to cover anything.

I saw the 760 today but didn't feel like it was nearly as good of a tire. I am gonna not be an askhole and just go with the advice I got from you. Both the Pirelli tires seems good, and while I was considering something like the 21 for the rear as well, my buddy seconded the 43, so that's the route to go. I fully intend on maintaining a DOT tire for the road. But riding on the road is least of worries.

The 52 isn't bad, lets me run up quick enough without much concern, but droppin a few in the back for the street would really be ideal I think.

Well I got the tires all done. As well as getting all the other necessities(horn brake light mirror) went up a little bit of tire in the rear and smashing around the neighborhood it feels really good. Just waiting to hear back from the trooper down here to get inspected. Otherwise ill have to wait another week to get it done.
image_zps676bbbab.jpg

What a nightmare. I've been calling past two weeks to springs office to get my inspection done on one of my days off. Not even a returned call yet. I have been told to stop calling once I leave a voicemail and when he gets to me he will get to me. That's just to set the apt. God know how far out they are looking to do the stupid inspection. I don't get why only one state trooper can do this.

Call up to Golden, that's where the academy is and where they do a lot of inspections.

It's still down in the springs. Wouldn't be able to call and set up appointment for boulder/golden until next week. So would have been same day anyway.

I passed my safety test this afternoon so I need to go to the DMV and get my endorsement and plates. The previous owner did not fill in the title for an amount of sale. Does anyone know if I should fill in something (like the low low purchase price of $250) or will they balk and tell me they have to charge me a minimum amount?

Back