• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tuned AW4 Valve Bodies

We have a couple out there now and receiving positive feedback. PM with questions.

I ordered the gaskets from www.wittrans.com the day after you posted the link. A few weeks later I still had not received my package. I called and they had no record of my order, but soon realized that my online order number was skipped in their data system. Long story short, the night that I ordered they were experiencing website issues. Anyway, they took my order over the phone and told me that I should receive the gaskets on Monday.

It doesn't raise line pressure or allow for first gear lock-in.

I'm sorry, I meant how does it compare to the transgo shift kit that cobra posted in his ebay link? This is cheaper.

Oh from your wording I thought you were under the assumption the kit you posted was from a different mfg (my bad). But thats a good question! They do have different part numbers so I'm sure they vary somehow. Good find! I'm curious now as well.

Actually I was answering the question you asked. The more expensive HD kit has the parts the cheaper kit has, plus also raises line pressure and provides the first gear lock in. The cheaper kit just adjusts the speed and firmness of the shifts.

Actually I was answering the question you asked. The more expensive HD kit has the parts the cheaper kit has, plus also raises line pressure and provides the first gear lock in. The cheaper kit just adjusts the speed and firmness of the shifts.

Ah, gotcha......... So do you recommend buying the more expensive kit to send to you?

Nope. Depends on what you want. If you want more torque capacity due to slippage or want to be able to shift into the 1-2 position and have it stay in first then you need the HD kit. If not, the cheaper one is adequate.

Nope. Depends on what you want. If you want more torque capacity due to slippage or want to be able to shift into the 1-2 position and have it stay in first then you need the HD kit. If not, the cheaper one is adequate.

Thanks, that's the answer I've been looking for. Since I do a lot of towing and mountain driving, especially a low speeds, I think the more expensive shift kit would better suit my needs.

i have never been inside my aw4..
just how easy/difficult is the install and removal?

Valve body removal is pretty simple. Drain the fluid, remove the pan, then pull the valve body. There is a filter, two tubes, and like 12 bolts. The accumulators and possibly a check valve can be removed afterwards...unless they happen to come down with the valve body. Installation is reverse of removal, and if anyone requires the actual procedure I can supply that. If you are unsure, I recommend having a shop do it. Just swapping valve bodies shouldn't be too expensive...but who knows?

I got my gaskets.

97320A Gasket
97321A Gasket

15995840_large.jpg

Valve body removal is pretty simple. Drain the fluid, remove the pan, then pull the valve body. There is a filter, two tubes, and like 12 bolts. The accumulators and possibly a check valve can be removed afterwards...unless they happen to come down with the valve body. Installation is reverse of removal, and if anyone requires the actual procedure I can supply that. If you are unsure, I recommend having a shop do it. Just swapping valve bodies shouldn't be too expensive...but who knows?

thanks.
just bought a new jeep and am considering this

Back