• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to get a vin number off of some crash parts I bought.

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Does anyone know how to or if there is a way to use the serial number off of a say a fender to get the VIN # of the jeep it was on? I bought two fenders, and a bumper off a guy parting out a Jeep and of the three only one has a even remotely legible sticker on it as far as the VIN # is concerned and there are two, or three digits I'm not sure about. However I can read the part number and the serial number just fine. The second question is. Any VIN for any vehicle made in the USA made after 1980 has a 17 digit VIN and all three parts only have a 15 digit number. Is there only supposed to be the 15 digits on parts, or is the number I'm looking at not the VIN? It sure looks like a VIN to me, and that number appears to be the same number on all three parts.

I purchased a deer hit Jeep that needed basically just bolt on repair off a guy, and when I went to transfer the title the DMV informed me that it was marked as a salvage. No big deal but in OH you need to have a salvage inspection done before you can plate a vehicle that has been totaled. As part of the inspection any major parts need to have matching VIN, or the VIN that is on them must match a recept, and be from a vehicle not showing as stolen. They guy I bought the parts off of has sense hauled off the chassis to the scrap yard. He bought it off a friend that wreaked it for the motor so he never bothered getting a title, and therefor doesn't directly have a way to provide me with the VIN. He is currently trying to track down a copy of it, and I thought if there was any way I could come up with it it would save some hassle.

Wow, that's insane. These dumb ass laws these states come up with blows my mind each day.

I wasn't even aware that these parts had VINs on them.

If I had to jump thru all of those hoops I'm pretty sure I would have bought new fenders.

How can THEY tell if the VIN is worn off?

After much headache and determination I was able to figure out the VIN on one of the fenders. There are security stickers on the back of the parts with the VIN on it but they where so hard to read cause the number got stamped half off the sticker. Downloading he pics to my computer and blowing them up helped but there was still some trial and error.

I only paid $250 for both fenders, loaded header panel, and front bumper with fogs and end caps locals.

Back