• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Triple Bypass Fun

David_Bricker

PSR Fire Marshall
NAXJA Member
Generally, when one says Triple Bypass, you think of some really cool shock with all kinds of tubes and things dangling off it. However, I picked up a slightly different kind of bypass.

Today marks my 2 week anniversary from being discharged from the hospital. I went in Friday, May 17th, for a scheduled triple bypass surgery.

I have been having some chest pains during/after significant exertion, and have been managing it with rest, and a couple of meds to help open blood vessels (essentially a long lasting nitroglycerin). Because of the potential for additional kidney damage, I was holding off getting a heart catheterization to see the extent of any blockages that might have been present.

In the process of getting established with new doctors in HI, I took a stress test and ultrasound. It did show some blockages. In talking with the cardiologist, it turns out that our island doesn’t do bypass surgery if needed; I’d have to go to Oahu. That made no sense whatsoever to go through all that on another island. One of the (few) disadvantages of island living.

So, I had the catheterization done back here in NY. They paid strict attention to using a reduced dye load to protect the kidneys, and they came through without issue. The catheterization showed about 70% blockage of the LAD (“widow maker”) artery, and 90% blockage of two other arteries.

We discussed stenting (additional dye load during procedure, plus not as long lasting) vs. bypass surgery. Given that bypass is the process when stenting fails, we decided to do the bypass now, rather than having to do it potentially 10 years from now anyway.

Doing the bypass as a scheduled procedure is quite a bit less risk than emergency, so it was scheduled for about a month after the catheterization. I went into the hospital at 6:00am, went in to surgery around 8:00am. Was in ICU by around 2:30pm. Had some minor complications during surgery, but nothing severe.

I became aware of my surroundings around 8:00pm Friday night. My wife was there, and had been there all this time since 6:00am. I still had a breathing tube in, as well as various other tubes, hoses and drains. But relatively soon, the breathing tube came out and I was able to talk.

They had me up and walking the next day. Surprisingly, I didn’t feel horrible, though the chest certainly hurt. My leg, where they took the vein from for the graft was badly bruised.

I was transferred to a standard hospital room at 2:30am Sunday morning. One thing is for sure; you don’t go to the hospital to get any rest. Every 2 hours, someone is poking you for meds, blood work, vitals, etc.

Tuesday, the 21st, I was released home. Recovery has been gone well. I am restricted to lifting over 8-10 pounds, but I am encouraged to walk. I certainly get tired far more easily, but hopefully that will continue to lessen. I started cardiac rehab yesterday, and will do that 3 times a week for the next 8-12 weeks. I’m hoping to weight restriction on lifting will be removed in another 6 weeks or so. It’s to make sure the sternum has time to fuse back together.

So, this surgery has delayed our moving plans for probably a year. In the grand scheme of things, a year delay is no big deal, but I am anxious to get moved and not have to deal with maintaining two households 6,000 miles apart.

Thanks, David

I'm very glad that you made it through all of that OK and that you're on the road to recovery!!

I'm very glad that you made it through all of that OK and that you're on the road to recovery!!
What he said, and said to the UOB.

Generally, when one says Triple Bypass, you think of some really cool shock with all kinds of tubes and things dangling off it. However, I picked up a slightly different kind of bypass.

Today marks my 2 week anniversary from being discharged from the hospital. I went in Friday, May 17th, for a scheduled triple bypass surgery.
When dealing with you old guys? Triple bypass? I had no doubt where this was going.

Glad to hear it went well for you.

Try to stay out of those places if you can. People die there.

Our blessings go out to you and your family!!!

How young are you?

You are very fortunate, so please take care of the opportunity you have been given! Two weeks ago I wasn't as lucky with a diagnosis of terminal stage4 cancer so I'm scrambling to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before my departure.

Holy smoke, David! I am so glad you are on the mend. That whole process just sounds scary as hell.

RCP Phx, I am sorry to read of your situation. I hope you will still have some good experiences ahead of you and that you make the most you can of your time remaining.

Our blessings go out to you and your family!!!

How young are you?

You are very fortunate, so please take care of the opportunity you have been given! Two weeks ago I wasn't as lucky with a diagnosis of terminal stage4 cancer so I'm scrambling to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before my departure.
I'm 67 years old. Yes, it's very fortunate to catch this earlier than later. Helps reinforce to listen to your body when it tries to tell you something.

Damn, I'm really sorry to hear of your diagnosis. That really sucks. Please take care and try and enjoy what time you have.

David Bricker / SYR

Holy smoke, David! I am so glad you are on the mend. That whole process just sounds scary as hell.
All I can say is that I was glad I wasn't aware of what was happening. Reading the surgeon's notes after the fact was, well, interesting.

David Bricker / SYR

Helps reinforce to listen to your body when it tries to tell you something.
Hopefully I'll make my 65th (Aug). I started feeling like something was up back in Dec but thought it was just Geerds so I let it go, OOPS!!!

I'll add that I saw my lawyer today to confirm my will and it all goes to my son a not "big brother".

RCP, I know that there's nothing I can say. Denial being a buddy of mine I refuse to say, "You will be missed." May you find solace in your Creator.

To all, regardless of the hand you've been dealt, play it out to the best you can!!!

When my Doctor told me I was going for a triple bypass, all I could think of was that it was a great name for a 4X4 run!

In on Monday with PVC (3 beats), Tuesday Angio with 90%, 90% and 100% blockages, Triple bypass Surgery on Wednesday home on Saturday.
At 61, I too am lucky to be around. Glad to hear you came through the other side.

Back