• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler

i would stay away from that....why? because if for some reason it gets clogged..your in for trouble...all FACTORY remote trans filters have a By-pass for this reason.....

I ran mine in-line with the Rad. cooler. There's enough room to put the 70264 in front of the radiator behind the grill without having to cut/trim anything. When I mounted mine, I mounted it "flanges out" so the mounting flanges would be far enough away from the radiator fins that they wouldn't occlude the radiator fins behind them. I offset it to the passenger side so it covers the radiator on the left side of the engine-driven fan shroud.
The B&M kit is pretty comprehensive, but doesn't have the proper fittings to screw into the radiator cooler orifices. Not a problem if you're bypassing it.

Tru-Cool Max LPD4921 6x23x3/4" 34,000 BTU

$130 is the cheapest I can find, if it's going to save me a trans then I might just go for it.

-Alex

Nevermind: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...1-1&Category_Code=tru-cool-hd&Product_Count=5

$99

Any year explorer cooler from the JY = $10.

Early explorers sometimes had these...
ExplorerTrannyCooler1.jpg

Later explorers sometimes had these...
attachment.php

My friend (Dundy) and I run the top cooler. He has a gauge on his and with 4.10s and 35s, he barely reaches 140* on his 20-30 minute drive to work on a summer day.

Alright I need a bigger cooler for my trans, having the one in the rad and a small external isn't enough. . . .

I am going with a stand alone cooler, not running it through the radiator anymore. Suggestions?

-Alex

I've made the same decision = stand alone cooler & bypassing the radiator. That said, I can't help but think that mounting the stand alone cooler in front of the radiator will dump heat into the engine. Anyone mount the stand alone cooler with a dedicated fan elsewhere? I was thinking of something that could exhaust through a hood vent. . .

why do you want to mount it in front of the ELEC fan? it would be best to mount it in front of the Clutch fan so in stop and go and idle you have air being pulled.....

Installed a Tru-cool LPD 4544. Still made in Canada, nice looking unit. Not a lot of driving with it yet, but it looks like it will drop pan temps(autometer gauge) from 190 to 175. This is mixed highway/city in 90f weather. I had the factory tube and fin cooler that I ditched.

While I had the front bumper off, I went to advance auto and got the "imperial" power steering cooler. After 30% discount, $14.84 out the door. Surprise, surprise, made by Hayden in the USA. Came with enough hose to make the install.

Overall, a couple of fun projects where you can actually see results:)

You may as well install a transmission temperature gauge while your at it, no sense in cooling the fluid and then not knowing what temp its running at. I added a temp gauge recently, used a remote filter mount with a sensor in the filter housing. I am surprised how the temp fluctuates and how quick it cools down after heating up.

I just installed a transmission cooler. I was going to go with a B&M model others have mentioned, but then I figured I would check out my local Advance Auto and found they had everything I needed. The below parts worked for me just fine, plus I ordered online using discount codes and picked up in the store - saved $30.

>ImperialMaxi-Kool® XL Transmission Oil Cooler Part No 243012
Size: 3/4" x 11" x 11-5/8"
GVWR up to 30,000 lbs.; towing up to 10,000 lbs.
Stacked plate style

>ImperialTransmission Line Fitting Kit Part No 240392

>Extra 3' of 11/32" transmission line or 3/8" works in a pinch just fine

Back