• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case swap & passing CA inspection

I do live in an enhanced area. How do awd's get tested if speed is vitally important? Glad you mentioned the evap thing too. I kinda assumed like the other fella that, that was a obd thing.

Thanks for that.

Funtioning or even accurate speedo is not required for CA smog test.. But if the speed sensor, on the tc, is disconnected or non-functioning it will cause a code and check engine light, this will cause you to fail the test.

I do live in an enhanced area. How do awd's get tested if speed is vitally important? Glad you mentioned the evap thing too. I kinda assumed like the other fella that, that was a obd thing.

Thanks for that.

XJ's are not AWD they are RWD with a 4x4 option. The dyno runs off the rear drive wheels. I assume they have to jack one end up to dyno a true AWD rig such as a ZJ with the 249tc.

Thanks for that.

AWD vehicles get SC-I (static idle test.) If speed were "vitally important," they'd have had everyone put in four-wheel chassis dynos for SC-II, and you'd end up paying something like $250-300 for the wretched test...

And getting back to the original question--the speedo drive will work in both cases,just swap the old unit into the new TC.
Wayne

Speed is vitally important to the smog test in ca, assuming you live in an enhanced area, which means you get the asm (dyno) test. However, the dyno reads its own speed off the rollers so the jeep doesn’t need to have any idea of how fast it goes.

Edit; and everybody gets an evap test in ca.
Not EVERYONE has this test, only pre-OBD2

Only certain counties in CA require a dyno test. There is one north Redding that I hear doesn't smog at all, although I will believe it when I move there and see it for myself. Check the requirement. If you had a 242, you won't have to dyno because it is full time and it would ruin the fluid coupling. Better check first. Also, changing speedo gears is a piece of cake. One bolt and it comes out and just put it in the other. The gears are the same for both.

AWD vehicles get SC-I (static idle test.) If speed were "vitally important," they'd have had everyone put in four-wheel chassis dynos for SC-II, and you'd end up paying something like $250-300 for the wretched test...

Speed is vitally important, to the asm test not the jeep or in a tsi test, in as much as if the technician varies slightly they must start over. the whole point is haveing a constant way of measuring emissions based on load and speed.

and everybody gets an evap test, even obdII vehicles, you just dont realize its happening.

Back