• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny drain/flush question.

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 99 Xj with the aw4 I believe. Now does it have a plug or do I have to drop the whole pan? I know it's advised to change the filter while flushing but where is it? Inside the pan? How many quarts of tranny fluid? Thanks!

X2. As I recall, the "filter" on the AW4 really isn't much of one so it probably isn't a necessity.

Drop the pan only if you see that the gasket is leaking and in need of replacement in order to stop the leaking.

X2. As I recall, the "filter" on the AW4 really isn't much of one so it probably isn't a necessity.

Drop the pan only if you see that the gasket is leaking and in need of replacement in order to stop the leaking.

The only reason i'm doing this is because you recommended me to. But it shifts fine and the fluid is dark, but still has a deep red tint and doesn't smell burnt. You guys think it's worth the trouble? Or just let it be. It has 184k

I never said to not change the fluid Jonathan..... Just agreeing with Frank that the filter can be "optional" should you choose not to do it. If it were me, I'd wanna know what the bottom of the pan has to say (lots of goey sediment or clean?) It is possible for the filter to get gummed up.... won't know unless you drop the pan.

But it DOES NEED a fluid change.

If you drop the pan to inspect/replace the gasket and/or filter, be sure not to over tighten the pan bolts. You can use a bit of sealant on the gasket if it's cork, but use sparingly. Tighten bolts with one hand and just a bit over "snug" should be good.

Yep, the rest is in TC, valve body, cooler, cooler lines. You can drive it around the block a few times and drain it again to get more of the old fluid out.

Whoa..... Maybe that needs clarification Frank.

You're not suggesting he drain what comes out, replace the plug, then drive it to get more out of the torque converter to drain...... You're saying to drain, fill, then drive, and drain, fill again right?

Thanks guys. I'll be going at this this weekend. Also found a 2" bb with shackles and spacers for 50 bux (if the guy ever calls me back). Might get that on this weekend to. I feel like a grandma driving around in this Xj. Next will be tires !

Onepre question Troy. It may be the bad tires or something else, but when at high speeds like 70 or 80mph , the jeep shakes lightly and it feels like it's coming from the rear... Any ideas? I filled the tire with the slow leak back up to see if it fixed it but same prob ...

That tire sat completely flat for quite some time so it's very possible it's good and flat-spotted. Fill it to 35 psi and give it a bit more highway time..... may work itself out. Otherwise, it could simply be out of balance. I did move it forward about 20 feet, then back when the tire was flat once - it's possible that may have knocked a rim mounted weight off the wheel. :dunno:

That tire sat completely flat for quite some time so it's very possible it's good and flat-spotted. Fill it to 35 psi and give it a bit more highway time..... may work itself out. Otherwise, it could simply be out of balance. I did move it forward about 20 feet, then back when the tire was flat once - it's possible that may have knocked a rim mounted weight off the wheel. :dunno:

Good call. I'm sure it's a flat spot/ balance issue. It will be solved shortly when I hopefully get some new tires on there. Saw you cashed my 600 dollar check today, told ya I was good for it :)

other than the tire flat spot, jeep runs very well and the interior is immaculate. We even used it to tow the 6x12 trailer to larkspur to drop it off today.

And for you're piece of mind, it's registered in my name now with new plates, and it passed the puffer test with flying colors.

And for you're piece of mind, it's registered in my name now with new plates, and it passed the puffer test with flying colors.

I had no worries about the emissions........I was confident it'd be a good, clean runner! :thumbup: But did you replace those rusted-busted exhaust clamps?

Glad you're happy with it Jonathan!

FWIW, I have always been a fan of getting auto trannys vac-pled/power-drained every now and again, simply because you can't get all the nasty out with a simple drain and fill procedure -- should be @$100 at any grease monkey or other lube shop, but they'll pump about twice the normal amount of fluid through and make sure everything is cherry red when they're done... must my $0.02.:sunshine:

I do the garage flush. Pull the proper tranny cooler line, (top I believe) fire it up. Replace a quart for every one that pumps out.

*do a search for a better procedure.

Back