• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny drain/flush question.

Just did mine. mine was brown and smelled slightly burned. going to run whats in there now for a week or so, then do it again.

Copied from another forum:

According to my handy dandy 2001 factory service manual:

"Mopar Dexron III/Mercon is the recommended fluid for the AW-4 automatic transmissions."

For capacities, it says 3.5 qts for a service fill, and 8.9 qts for a overhaul fill.

Copied from another forum:

According to my handy dandy 2001 factory service manual:

"Mopar Dexron III/Mercon is the recommended fluid for the AW-4 automatic transmissions."

For capacities, it says 3.5 qts for a service fill, and 8.9 qts for a overhaul fill.

Correct, DexronIII/Merc is the only thing you should be puttin' in these tranny's. I didn't even want to chance LUCAS.

On another note, I just got a syphon pump to try and get the "Nasty" out of the Aw4. Ran about 5 bucks (picked it up at advanced), slides down the check fluid tube and is a hand pump. see what it does for the fluid exchange.

going to be doing this on the 96 when i get home tomorrow as it has been slipping every once in a while. hope it helps.

ya ive got 300k on my original trans....i dont service it for fear of its demise....on a side not one of my cooler lines died once and pumped out a few gallons of fluid...well a gallon and a half...filled it back up fixed the line ....trans slipped for a week after that lol....all better now tho

going to be doing this on the 96 when i get home tomorrow as it has been slipping every once in a while. hope it helps.

welcome home, bro!:thumbup:

Back