• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail schedule

well i've never even seen the trail... but i was under the impression that there was a mandatory
winch exit, and since i'm winch-less i figured that ruled out patriot. :dunno:

let me check around a bit and ponder. i'm certainly willing to try if my rig is capable.

:D

MMIXJ said:
well i've never even seen the trail... but i was under the impression that there was a mandatory

let me check around a bit and ponder. i'm certainly willing to try if my rig is capable.

Patriot you have to winch the exit,Liberty you dont.

Rock Yacht said:
I'd like to see that! Such nice sheet metal to sacrifice. :laugh:
Bob

now wait a minute... doesn't this T&T kit come w/ an invincible-go-anywhere guarantee?

MMIXJ said:

For you I'll turn around and winch your behind out :thumbup:

Hello, Terry? This is the voice of reason......

In all seriousness, you're gonna have to come to terms with how much you value the appearance of your XJ. Indy WILL claim your pass side mirror, and you most certainly will rub / dent at least the right rear flare/quarter panel just dropping into the trail. I ain't kidding here - I have the damage to show for it. If you run indy, you will receive body damage - plain and simple. Indy is one of those trails where you spend a helluva lotta time on your belly skid and rock sliders. Front diffs and steering linkage are in peril here. My Phat Jeeps center link actually bent on this trail (double sleeved DOM brutha). If you weren't already aware, Indy is a trail that forces you to take a dedicated line on obstacles. There are several places where steel rails and cables prevent you from trying other lines. The entrance and the Patriot exit are prime examples. Remember these pics of Patriot? Note the right fender and door...... and the missing mirror.

Indy1.jpg

Indy2.jpg

If I see someone run this kind of trail, then bitch about what it's gonna cost to fix the body..... and then actually fix it...... OMG.

Plus, I think Led's made it abundantly clear he has an illness that creates a hatred for shiny paint and straight body panels. I believe there's a name for it now.....

Addatubetomy: A serious mental disorder that compells the patient to use violent means to remove a vehicle's pristine sheet metal - and replace the ravaged areas with copious amounts of steel tubing. Patients may use sophisitcated methods involving plasma cutters, torches, saws and grinders in the advanced stages, but early symptoms can be identified when the patient appears to "give a shit less" about banging sheet metal against rocks, trees or other obstacles. Many patients display a perverse pleasure in watching others do the same to their sheetmetal - often encouraging them to do so.

I believe I am suffering from the early stages of this disorder. After the entrance damage, and getting chewed up winching out of Patriot, I recall giving a shit less afterwards. It's a sneaky little disorder, but have found some relief thru therapy sessions with Dr. Johnny Walker......... :laugh3:

Last edited:
Troy,

Did you get body damage from any other obstacles besides the first one? I've never run Patriot, but I've helped people through it before and I'm not sure if you would get body damage from other obstacles or not.

It could definitely happen on the first one and if you ran out liberty then I know there is a tree that hangs over pretty far. That will definitely take out your passenger side rain gutter.

This picture is from the way down liberty. If you did the drops on Patriot and came out that way....it would be on your passenger side:

IMG_5308.jpg

On Patriot, most of the rocks are just HUGE....but unless you flop it....I can't think of anywhere besides the first obstacle and possibly the A-Hole where you would get body damage.

I managed to make it through the entrance (only to wuss out and take Freedom :p) without hitting that passenger side. But let me tell you, I was pretty nervous and I took it REALLY slow.

IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

It just sucks because EVERYTHING about that obstacle leans you towards the railing.

YELLAHEEP said:
Hello, Terry? This is the voice of reason......

In all seriousness, you're gonna have to come to terms with how much you value the appearance of your XJ. Indy WILL claim your pass side mirror, and you most certainly will rub / dent at least the right rear flare/quarter panel just dropping into the trail. I ain't kidding here - I have the damage to show for it. If you run indy, you will receive body damage - plain and simple. Indy is one of those trails where you spend a helluva lotta time on your belly skid and rock sliders. Front diffs and steering linkage are in peril here. My Phat Jeeps center link actually bent on this trail (double sleeved DOM brutha). If you weren't already aware, Indy is a trail that forces you to take a dedicated line on obstacles. There are several places where steel rails and cables prevent you from trying other lines. The entrance and the Patriot exit are prime examples. Remember these pics of Patriot? Note the right fender and door...... and the missing mirror.

Indy1.jpg

Indy2.jpg

If I see someone run this kind of trail, then bitch about what it's gonna cost to fix the body..... and then actually fix it...... OMG.

Plus, I think Led's made it abundantly clear he has an illness that creates a hatred for shiny paint and straight body panels. I believe there's a name for it now.....

Addatubetomy: A serious mental disorder that compells the patient to use violent means to remove a vehicle's pristine sheet metal - and replace the ravaged areas with copious amounts of steel tubing. Patients may use sophisitcated methods involving plasma cutters, torches, saws and grinders in the advanced stages, but early symptoms can be identified when the patient appears to "give a shit less" about banging sheet metal against rocks, trees or other obstacles. Many patients display a perverse pleasure in watching others do the same to their sheetmetal - often encouraging them to do so.

I believe I am suffering from the early stages of this disorder. After the entrance damage, and getting chewed up winching out of Patriot, I recall giving a shit less afterwards. It's a sneaky little disorder, but have found some relief thru therapy sessions with Dr. Johnny Walker......... :laugh3:

I remember those pics--because I took them :laugh3: .Terry's mirror might survive--Late model XJ=fold in mirrors!!C'mon Terry,live on the edge.Troy,did you get the door and fender from Smurf installed yet and if so,did you leave the camo paint job or are they Yella now?Just curious.

planefixer said:
I remember those pics--because I took them :laugh3: .Terry's mirror might survive--Late model XJ=fold in mirrors!!C'mon Terry,live on the edge.Troy,did you get the door and fender from Smurf installed yet and if so,did you leave the camo paint job or are they Yella now?Just curious.

Heh, heh, don't get me wrong fellas. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from running Indy, I just want everyone to be as prepared for the trail as they can be. I'm just well aware that many rigs are people's daily drivers and they're proud of the look they've achieved - don't want anyone thinking it's easy to run Indy without smacking something. I figured Terry wasn't the only one possibly thinking the same questions.

Jeff: Nope, the Smurf parts are still layin' around - they're intended for a future project, but I keep toying with the idea of putting them on just for grins.... it would look pretty friggin' phunny though huh?

Brian: Nope, the first obstacle broke off my already damaged mirror, then the body leaned way into the last few feet of the rail causing some rubbing and large dimples to the rear quarter-tore loose my rear flare. I dunno where "A-hole" is but if it's the next big obstacle after the entrance, then you're right, it has potential for big damage - I think that's where Led laid over in his rig yes? Both tail lights took light hits on some of those tight turns - one cracked the other good-n-scratched. Another odd rock reached up and tagged my drivers door low after the rock rail slipped off. And then the final damage was caving in the pass door and front fender when trying to climb out of Patriot. The pics show the rock that did the damage, until the left tire slipped off the rail, my door was against that rock. I've only run Indy once, but I looked at that exit line on Patriot alot before trying it, and agreed with Led that to have a fighting chance to actually climb out, you had to run the tire up the railing. Problem was, my rig didn't spin the tires on the dirt like the rigs before me, it grabbed and launched the front way up - causing my rock rail to slip off the edge of that box-shaped rock and that motion happened when the tire dropped off the other side of the rail. In other words, Led was spotting me and I think he believed the rock rail would hold it's position and the rig would pivot on it's pass. side as the front tires tried to grab - that actually would have been just the right way to get positioned for a winch out, but my rig didn't cooperate. Led was just as surprised as I was at the way the rig moved. I don't blame the spotter. Just the sticky ProComps! :laugh3:

Of the two nasty trails, Carnage and Indy, I think Indy has the most potential for body damage. Carnage allows for some repositioning and rock stacking. Indy - the rocks are just too damn big to stack! and not alot of room to move.

Last edited:
YELLAHEEP said:
Led was spotting me.....
That's a good story and all, but I'm still gonna go with the above statement as being the root of the problem. :wave:

Nah, that trail is real burly. Even with a winch, you still have be able to get as far up that rock as you did in the photos and it's real big. I think Terry should run it just based on Led's offer to winch him out. Heck, I'd consider taking him up on that if I could actually take the day off of work. :(

Pic of the exit from the bottom:
IMG_2986.jpg

These are 42s :exclamati
IMG_2995.jpg

YELLAHEEP said:
Of the two nasty trails, Carnage and Indy, I think Indy has the most potential for body damage. Carnage allows for some repositioning and rock stacking. Indy - the rocks are just too damn big to stack! and not alot of room to move.

hmmm, well that gives me some perspective anyway, thanks troy.
er, led, maybe you can leave the schedule as is... :dunce:

who knows, guess it wouldn't be very responsible to commit to any trail before seeing it firsthand.

(though it would be a great story to match the one last year of getting bloose thru carnage on 33s...)

Just so you know I have ran this trail in the XJ on 35s without body damage several times.

Led said:
Just so you know I have ran this trail in the XJ on 35s without body damage several times.

And exited via Patriot???..........Then you need to bring the guy that spotted YOU through to this event. Otherwise I'm calling :bs: ..... unless it was Jacobs of course. He can just stay home!

If you can lead the entire group through Indy w/o body damage, I'll buy your beer for the entire event. (Within reason of course) I might even toss JohnJohn's rig as an exception - being it's so tippy and all......

:D :D :D :D

YELLAHEEP said:
And exited via Patriot???..........Then you need to bring the guy that spotted YOU through to this event. Otherwise I'm calling :bs: ..... unless it was Jacobs of course. He can just stay home!

If you can lead the entire group through Indy w/o body damage, I'll buy your beer for the entire event. (Within reason of course) I might even toss JohnJohn's rig as an exception - being it's so tippy and all......

He's not BSing.I watched him run through in his old yellow XJ after the rear coil conversion was installed and there was no damage(yes he exited out Patriot).If I recall correctly there wasnt really anyone spotting him for the most part.Getting everyone through without damage will be pretty much impossible.

YELLAHEEP said:

Within reason my :moon: if your buying your buying none off the half ass stuff.

Led said:

hmmm... well maybe "game on" after all. :D

what no one is gonna try and talk me out of it like they did Terry. Or they just know I might just be ready to drag my junk through there?

lol :cheers:

Getting really close now. what like 2 1/2 weeks and counting.

Back