• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toys for Tots @The Badlands Dec.1st

Anyone running Green? My friend might not come so I need to find an alternative person to run with.

Awesome, will be great to see you again! They have moved all tow rig parking to the upper parking lot, so the lower lot is usually empty and a good place to find people. I'll probably hang out there for a while and eventually go to the quarry which is also a good place to meet.

Cool. I plan on getting there at 9:00, I'll look for you in the lower lot.

Jim

A few months ago my friend texted me asking when I was going off road next. He traded his cummins ram for a 99 XJ (photos later, but lifted and 32's) and a Chevy truck with a plow. He has sold the truck and plow, but kept the Jeep.

Before he got there, I talked to the NAXJA crew and since they were running orange, I headed to the quarry to the play until he got there. I did get stopped here (could have backed down, but had a someone give me a tug to get over where I wasn't giving it enough power).
20121201_111046.jpg

My friends 99. ARB front bumper, 3 or 4.5" lift and 32's.
20121201_114134.jpg

Took this some where in the creek. I was not familiar with the trails yet and was not comfortable going any farther then this point. We went back to the creek entrance.
20121201_114633.jpg

Another look at my friends XJ.
20121201_115517.jpg

I went up the hill and back down the other side so I could get him coming out of the tubes.
20121201_115904.jpg

20121201_115909.jpg

20121201_115910.jpg

20121201_115911.jpg

20121201_115912.jpg

He has a hot rod background (05 GTO that put down 550 whp on 150 shot of nitrous and other fast cars), so he got his hot rod nature out for a minute.
20121201_132134.jpg

Of course water and electrics didn't go quite well and he stalled it and had to let it dry.
20121201_132411.jpg

This air filter isn't he best, he is going to fix this somehow.
20121201_132419.jpg

He went up this wall, but he was a bit apprehensive at first.
P1030231.jpg

He also said going down was a bit nerving as he has never been wheeling before.
P1030230.jpg

Going up
P1030229.jpg

When we rolled into the quarry, we came upon this. Broken ball joints and axle. Took two winches to get it off the rocks.
P1030228.jpg

This diesel buggy was cool.
P1030227.jpg

Brian going up another wall in the quarry.
P1030226.jpg

P1030225.jpg

He likes wheeling, so I am trying to get him to join this forum and go to Winterfest. I wasn't that familiar with some trails so we didn't go too far into some so I would like him to wheel with NAXJA as i know he would be in good hands with the people that have been leading trails I been with.

I rocked color matched rock rails on my 98' Classic. They were a PITA to maintain.

It was a nice day to go wheeling!

Lots of folks there!

I think I saw both those Jeeps. And I caught up, and passed the broken one on I74. I never saw the TJ with the axle sticking out move though. I also didn't see one NAXJA sticker (I was guilty also).

We marveled at the number of folks that showed up, and that Side-BYs, which are fancy ATVs are allowed in the quarry. Large number of JKs there. Are they even aware that they are driving a fairly hefty Bank Loan Off-Road?
Great to see folks with big pockets!

I missed the lunch. The friend I met down there is picky about his food (no Mc-D's Steak Emporium), and was too cheap to buy a toy (though I pointed out that it was a horse apiece on the cost end). So we ate at the diner, where I got asked by the Waitress why I was not in Indy today for the Game as I was wearing a UW hoodie.

All in all was a good day. Sorry, I get wordy when tired...

-Ron

This air filter isn't he best, he is going to fix this somehow.
20121201_132419.jpg
There looks to be a bare positive and negative wire just above the windshield washer fill neck in the picture too.

Why would you try to go thru water with the filter like that? it is asking for trouble.

It was a great day for wheeling. Plenty of people. I led a bunch of newbies around with Arthur as my tailgunner. I think we have some new wheelers out of the bunch i showed around. Lunch was great also. Thanks Flexed

It was a great day for wheeling. Plenty of people. I led a bunch of newbies around with Arthur as my tailgunner. I think we have some new wheelers out of the bunch i showed around. Lunch was great also. Thanks Flexed

Don't thank me, thank Judy Estes, Jim ault and all the great 4 wheels to freedom folks. I collected toys in the AM then wheeled. The day ended early when I snapped a shaft then proceeded to pile my junk up into a tre hatch first.

The unexposed wires are leading to nothing. The previous owner left a wiring mess from who knows what under the hood. The intake/filter is product of him as well.

This was my first time wheeling. I picked this Jeep up a couple months ago and haven't done anything but use it as a daily so the intake was never really a concern of mine. I'll address it now that I see how ridiculous it is. I just never paid much attention to detail, its more of a beater/DD and I wasn't too concerned. I'll get it cleaned up soon as it's probably going up for sale if I go through with buying the one I'm looking at this week.

Don't thank me, thank Judy Estes, Jim ault and all the great 4 wheels to freedom folks. I collected toys in the AM then wheeled. The day ended early when I snapped a shaft then proceeded to pile my junk up into a tre hatch first.

Do we have pictures of said pile up and broken shaft?

The unexposed wires are leading to nothing. The previous owner left a wiring mess from who knows what under the hood. The intake/filter is product of him as well.

This was my first time wheeling. I picked this Jeep up a couple months ago and haven't done anything but use it as a daily so the intake was never really a concern of mine. I'll address it now that I see how ridiculous it is. I just never paid much attention to detail, its more of a beater/DD and I wasn't too concerned. I'll get it cleaned up soon as it's probably going up for sale if I go through with buying the one I'm looking at this week.

I'd keep the one you have its a good looking rig. If you need a gas sipper I'll trade you my neon for it! :D

Hey, I got first dibs if he gets the new one on his red one. The only thing I know the red one needs is tires right away.

bth_Logan-20121201-00148.jpg

Fun had by all at Toys 4 Tots at Badlands!:patriot:
bth_Logan-20121201-00152.jpg

Even the Toyota had a good time!
bth_Logan-20121201-00156.jpg

This driveshaft broke half an hour before closing, Yeah! We made it back to the trailer with this shaft. :roll:

I'd keep the one you have its a good looking rig. If you need a gas sipper I'll trade you my neon for it! :D

Haha, don't need a gas sipper. I just think I'd have a better start with the other one. It's lifted a little more with a little more tire under it as well.

Haha, don't need a gas sipper. I just think I'd have a better start with the other one. It's lifted a little more with a little more tire under it as well.

Nah, i'm lower than you with 32's and it wheels just fine. Big tires are cool but wheeling a lower rig is more challenging.

Back