• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter.

Jlanesey

NAXJA Forum User
My xj sat for 3 years before I bought it, after fixing so many things Shes finally running. Only issue is torque converter making like a slight grinding noise like it has corrosion on it or something.

Any advice? Jeep is. 2000 sport with 90k on it. Tranny was rebuilt at 80k. Haven't put more than a mile on it since I revived it after sitting on gravel for three years. Wondering if it will go away as the jeep is driven or if its something I need to address.

Thanks!

i would pull the inspection cover. many times at work i have pulled the tranny out of jeeps that have been sitting in a field for a long time and its not uncommon for animals to make homes inside the bell housing. Ive seen all kinds of crap brought in there by animals its unreal i have no idea how they even fit some of the shit in there. if it sounds metal on metal you should shine a flashlight up in there and look for anything shiny.
I just replaced the flex plate on my xj but it was making a clicking noise and i could see all shiny cracks when i looked in there with a light.

I guess is kind of sounds like metal on metal, not really though sounds more like a dry bearing. Ill pull the plate tommorrow the mouse nest is def a possibility. The only other symptom is with foot on brake and shifting through the tranny it kinda feels like it wants to jump a little. Not really too bad but I do t know what is normal. My last jeep had an ax-15.

I'm a pretty decent mechanic, I've never did any tranny work though. The animal thing definitely makes some sense though.

This is what I found in the rockers.
anujasu2.jpg

I guess is kind of sounds like metal on metal, not really though sounds more like a dry bearing. Ill pull the plate tommorrow the mouse nest is def a possibility. The only other symptom is with foot on brake and shifting through the tranny it kinda feels like it wants to jump a little. Not really too bad but I do t know what is normal. My last jeep had an ax-15.

I'm a pretty decent mechanic, I've never did any tranny work though. The animal thing definitely makes some sense though.

This is what I found in the rockers.
anujasu2.jpg

DA FAQ? how about rot, much of that in there?

Other things I noticed today while playing with the jeep,

Only makes the noise bad in park or neutral

Noise sounds like a dry bearing.

When shifted into any gear even with the brake pedal fully depressed it still feels like the jeep is trying to pull as if I'm on the gas, the rpm are less than 1000.

Dumb question... your sure its not the catalytic converter rattling? This was a problem over the years with different years of Jeeps. Sometimes the catalyst can separate from the housing inside, and at different levels of idle it will rattle worse than other times. Bang on it a bit and make sure that isn't what your hearing.

Does it sound rotational? Have you checked/changed the tranny fluid and filter?

A.

just realized you said its only doing it in park or nuetral

I'm having exact same issue with my 98. Sounds like a fan blade hitting something is best way to describe. I'm reading up as much as possible and i'm stuck between loose bolts in flywheel/torque converter, and tranny pump issues. Mine at first start makes a dull racket, and if it settles then drives fine, but if i "get on it" while making the racket it seems almost like slipping, leading me to the pump scenario. i'm a pretty good mechanic also, but like you never did any tranny work.

I'm having exact same issue with my 98. Sounds like a fan blade hitting something is best way to describe. I'm reading up as much as possible and i'm stuck between loose bolts in flywheel/torque converter, and tranny pump issues. Mine at first start makes a dull racket, and if it settles then drives fine, but if i "get on it" while making the racket it seems almost like slipping, leading me to the pump scenario. i'm a pretty good mechanic also, but like you never did any tranny work.

that sounds like the flex plate. exactly what mine sounded like (the fan blade sound) it went away when i steped on the brake and gas. I pulled the inspection cover and saw the cracks in there. took me about 2.5 hours to drop the tranny and bolt in a new flexplate and reinstall the tranny...its not a bad job. Just for refrence any year flexplate will work.

Back