• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Staying Locked

Did you change the VSS on the transfer case that feeds the speedometer, or the output speed sensor on the back on the transmission that feeds the TCM? Just curious, because I'm chasing my own issue and think it might be related to the output speed sensor but really have no idea how to get at it without dropping the transfer case.

Mine is a 2 wheel drive, so there's no transfer case. I only have one VSS. It is located right above the transmission mount, facing the drivers side on the tail-end housing of the transmission.

aw_html_m51dd8b40.jpg

Last edited:
First, thank you for the update. It is an interesting solution. Looks like a small fault in the VSS. I will have to remember this one.

You're welcome. Yeah, it seemed that the old VSS would make the TCM think that the truck was still cruising at 45 mph even though it was slowing down. That's why it stayed in overdrive/lock-up until the rpm dropped to near idle or until the truck came to an almost complete stop.

when my TC started acting weird and locking/unlockign all the time I put it on its own switch. haven't had a problem since and I just lock the TC when I want.

Back