• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ vs. XJ - Need Some Ammunition...

binfordtools

NAXJA Forum User
So my buddy JUST got into Jeeps. He bought a TJ, tossed a 3" lift and some big tires on it. Now he thinks he's the cat's ass and loves nothing more then to call XJ's "grocery getters". True, my XJ is nothing more then a grocery getter right now, but hell I've been out of work for a long time (thanks auto industry) so I haven't had any cash to fix my low-rider XJ up yet. Now I have a real good job and I plan on doing something with my G.G. in the near future.

I would love to rattle his cage with some "mine is better then yours" facts next time he hops on his high horse and starts Cherokee bashing. Worst part is I really love TJ's. I had a TJ long before he did and I sold it when we squirted out a few kids. Baby seats and 4-doors just seem a bit easier with babies.

What can I tell this clown to shut his pie-hole?

Thanks fellow XJ brothers!

Last edited:
Re: TJ vs. XJ - Need some ammunition...

go out and school him in your stock cherokee. go wheelign and have him follow you. then you get to drink it up when his almighty lifted TJ gets hung up somewhere you just went in a stock "grocery getter"

that, or just put a zip tie on his driveshaft.

this may be water balloons for ammo but.....
1.you can haul 4 people and still have room for gear inside.
2.my grandmother really does drive a TJ rubicon
3.you have the high pinion d30, much stronger than his low pinion 30
4.longer wheelbase climbs hills better
5.i know its not a TJ, but show him this picture :
fags.bmp

6.you can haul more biatches ;)
7.XJ's are cheaper and easier to lift
im sure theres more...i just cant think of any more right now

Last edited:
binfordtools said:
Baby seats and 4-doors just seem a bit easier with babies.

Got him right there, can he take the whole familly wheeling? Also try some nice nice off camber downhills. Nothing like a much stabler wheel base.

Rob

Wranglers are for cheerleaders and hookers!!!:laugh3:
Of course im just kidding because my friend has a nice tj. My advice is just show him up on the trail. Use experience against his (most likly) heavy foot :D

I may be wrong, but I believe XJs came out of the factory with more power than the TJs, like 200 vs. 190hp. I know XJs are faster, my XJ with 33s will beat a stock TJ. TJs are about as aerodynamic as a dumpster. The XJ should get better gas mileage too.

Prepmech said:
TJs are about as aerodynamic as a dumpster.

Very true. However XJ's are about as aerodynamic as a brick, and look like one too.

Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't trade my XJ for anything else (other than that Ferrari I was looking at... but I couldn't take that in the mud :D )!!!

I drive a TJ, but I'll give you my opinion anyway. This seems like such an immature argument. My TJ's first mod was frt. and rr. lockers, and a year or two later 2" lift and 32's. I can't tell you how many times I was told "you can't go here" or "we're not helping if you get stuck" when out with groups of bigger, badder(looking) vehicles of any type. I've been stuck too many times to count. But most of the time when someone had some smartass comments to make about my ride, I just told them to worry about themselves and I'll worry about myself. I was always happy to hook a strap to them to back them up and then make a clean pass through what they were just stuck on. That will make more of a statement than any words you can come up with.

Bottom line- Learn how to drive, even with your stocker, before you go crazy with lots of mods. Your driving skills will thank you later on. I see alot of Jeeps that are built far beyond what the driver is capable of. They either wasted money and won't ever use it to its capacity or they just go out and wreck parts and call themselves hardcore.

watch him hurry and scamble to put the top and doors on when it starts raining (if he has them in the back taking up ALL his space)

RCman said:
Very true. However XJ's are about as aerodynamic as a brick, and look like one too.

Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't trade my XJ for anything else (other than that Ferrari I was looking at... but I couldn't take that in the mud :D )!!!
Sure you can! You just won't make it very far.

also take a long ride...him in his TJ and you in your XJ...after the trip bragg about how comfortable and quite your ride was

Honestly when it comes down to it you both have the same thing - a JEEP. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Both are Jeeps.

Tell him that if he wants to have a pissing contest he can go do it facing into the wind.

rock rash said:
and that doesnt include wronglers

I guess you've never heard of a YJ. But then we get into the stupid argument that YJ's aren't "real" Jeeps because real Jeeps have round headlights. I guess that leaves the CJ10 out too.

And my Jeep spent two years of its daily driver life w/ a bikini and tonneau getting wet inside when it rained. And full of snow in the winter. I guess you just have to be a little tougher than a cheerleader.

explorer said:
I guess you've never heard of a YJ. But then we get into the stupid argument that YJ's aren't "real" Jeeps because real Jeeps have round headlights. I guess that leaves the CJ10 out too.

And my Jeep spent two years of its daily driver life w/ a bikini and tonneau getting wet inside when it rained. And full of snow in the winter. I guess you just have to be a little tougher than a cheerleader.
good points. All jeep (minus kj) are very capable. kjs can bee but i just dont like them because they replaced the cherokee. why cant we all just get along?:rattle:

No seriously though, all jeeps are very capable.

rock rash said:
All jeep (minus kj) are very capable.

Don't start with me. I've wheeled them all, stock, albeit under controlled circumstances. Overall, none has a significant advantage, other than Rubis or Quadradrive WJ's

actually that really is true....a jeeps a jeep, nobody liked the ZJ either when it first came out but it's doing really good now, i hate to say it but i think the KJ's well make a name for themselves too it's just a matter of time
trevor

Buy a sawzall!

If he braggs that he can take his top off- cut your top off.

If he braggs that he has larger wheel well openings- cut your fenders.

If he braggs that he has a tighter turning radius- cut one of his tie-rods!

Just make sure you take lots of pictures.

Back