• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ vs. XJ - Need Some Ammunition...

hoytinak said:
actually that really is true....a jeeps a jeep, nobody liked the ZJ either when it first came out but it's doing really good now, i hate to say it but i think the KJ's well make a name for themselves too it's just a matter of time
trevor

I'm sure the hardcore jeep guys threw a fit when Jeep came out with the XJ. A uni-body Jeep?!?!

get lockers and school his ass in stock form. thatll shut him up quick

just go wheelin with him and show him that you can go everywhere he can go and then he will shut up. 2 different friends told me that my XJ wasn't a real jeep. One with a willy's and one with a lifted tj. after pulling the willys out and out driving the tj, they both changed their mind and I won the 50$ bet. toobad digital camera's eat batteries faster than the gov't increases gas prices

Lifted short arm TJ's do scary things on off camber climbs and descents. For instance when was the last time anyone saw an XJ doing a locker wheelie turn? Cool on the street (for some), sketchy off road.

xj are lighter, faster, more stable, the rear aprings dont unload quite like the tj do, and you will never have to worry about someone stealing your door. take him out on a weekend wheeling adventure and use the back of the xj as your tent and let him figure out why you picked such a cold place to camp...

Sleeping in the bed area is always fun and conveniant, but with a tj, that's a no go. Lets see, some XJ's came with stronger factory axles than the tj does, ie. 8.25, d44 *yea I know wranglers come with those*
Wheeling in AC rocks too :D Most guys with their tops down can't really do that can they? Oh yea, having a heater during winter wheeling is also nice.

And this is completely opinion based, but you can argue that leafs provide a more stable off-road ride, and prove better for wheeling :D

:wave:

So what is wrong with driving a grocery getter? ont argue go show. The best thing you can do is take it uot with your frined in the rigs and school him.

picture.JPG

One of my favorite quotes from a fellow wheeler "Yea, I've got a grocery-getter, but at least I can get those groceries anywhere I want on this mountain"

As far as TJ vs. XJ goes; a friend of mine has a built Rubicon. He runs the same size tires and is built pretty much the same as my xj. Some places my xj makes his TJ look stupid. Other places his short wheelbase makes anything longer look bad. It all depends on the terrain. Both jeeps have pros and cons. I do belive is is easier and cheaper to build an xj to ride harder trails than a TJ. Wheel base is your friend.

bjoehandley said:
Just tell him your truck is can be closed up and locked when you're not around.

exactly, ever tried to break into a wrangler? there's not much trying involved.

XJ is truly an all-around multi purpose vehicle, it can go anywhere AND
do anything.

there's pros and cons of both. long wheelbase is good some places, short in others. but they're both jeeps, and all jeeps kick ass in their own way. sadly, the liberty is pretty capable as well("mom, I got your jeep a little dirty......") I havn't driven a WK but they have huge engines so i guess they're cool too.

just have him follow you, and choose lines that like wheelbase. and if all else fails, take him to a deserted road, measure out a 1/4 mile, and, well, you get the picture.

I've owned two Wranglers, an '89 YJ, and a '97 TJ. One stock, one built rock-crawler with 8.5" lift, 38.5" TSL/SX, Atlas II, lockers, full cage, Warn 9000i, the list goes on.

My point is this - I USED to own the Wranglers. There's a reason I don't anymore.
My Cherokee is the perfect combination of a Jeep and truck, I actually have cargo room.
I have rear speakers that I can actually hear when going 70mph.
With a Viper Alarm, and REAL doors/windows, I'm not worried about being broken into.
Wranglers are the #3 most stolen vehicle in the United States.
It's hard to have sex in the back of a Wrangler.
You can have all the sex you want with the rear seats down in an XJ.
4.0L Automatic TJs are rare and expensive when you find one.
Something like 80% of XJs are 4.0L and automatic. :)
Show him your remote keyless entry - and laugh at him for not having one.
Tell him hardcore guys (like Dirk @ DPGOffroad) like to stretch their TJ's wheelbases, and convert to rear leaf springs. XJs already have that!!! :)

Try and convince him that TJs use more blinker fluid. :D

It was funny me 3 inch skyjacker some not very good tread 31 ATs. my buddy with a 6inch rustys and 32 muds. and another kid with like a 95 YJ 3inch lift and brand new MTR's. we were wheeling in a quarry with a bunch of hill climbs . flexed out burms. basicly 4wheeler/ dirtbike heaven. the kid in the YJ with the same lift and meaty tires got stuck every time we turned around. he would just get so flexed out over the smallest mounds the MTR's would just dig in the sand and he would burry the tires.. i love my wheelbase.

KEITH H

Re: TJ vs. XJ - Need some ammunition...

olivedrabcj7 said:
4.longer wheelbase climbs hills better

this is true and then it will pull there ass up it. I had plenty of experience with this a few weekends ago.

Actually I like them both and believe everybody should have an XJ and TJ. The way a TJ comes apart for repairs is unreal. We just had to rebuild my sons after he rolled it over twice, even got the tailgate :mad: It is in the process of reassembly now and we hope to have it back on the road early next week. Do that with an XJ and it's either toast or a candidate for a chop top. Just picked up a whole bunch of small parts that seem to have vanished during disassembly from a jeep recycler. I do like them both but it's a trade off either way. The TJ is awsome during the spring/summer/fall and the XJ is very good in the winter.
My daughter who also has a TJ is highly amused, two guys yesterday damn near got in accidents trying to get a better look, TJ was topless and she was coming home from school so she loves it.

My son turned 16 last summer and I we were talking about what kind of vehicle he wanted. I (naturally) brought up Jeeps and he said he didn't want an SUV. I said, "What about a Wrangler?" He didn't know what I meant so I described it to him and he said, "OH, you mean one of those things that girls drive to the beach?"
Priceless.

Just tell him his "little Jeep is sooooo cute. It'll make a really great XJ when it grows up and it's nuts drop".

Well, for it is worth, my 3 year old son calls both of my XJ'S jeeps, but when he looks at all the CJ'S, all he has to say about them is "truck", he hacked off one guy driving a red ( why is it, most of these toys are red?) tj by saying "toy truck" while we were driving in the red river gourge in my 2door XJ.

kid4lyf said:
Just tell him his "little Jeep is sooooo cute. It'll make a really great XJ when it grows up and it's nuts drop".

everytime my buddy with a TJ takes his doors and top off i'm like "aawww wook at the wittle jeep with the top off, that's sooo cute!" he get pissed but it's still funny

Back