• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire report; BFG AT

raypla said:

Agreed. I love mine and will never go back to anything else.

tinypic.jpg

DSCN2090.jpg

if you think your AT's suck don't even consider MT's. I am running mt's on my jeep and they are terrible on wet and snowy roads. If I lock it in it goes anywhere i want,but in 2wd you can forget moving on snow slick roads no matter how little/much gas you give it. However in the mud I use the jeep in I hardly ever have to put it in 4wd to get through:)

X2, i just bought AT for this winter because I was sick of the slick road performance of mt MT's. They where just like driving on hockey pucks, it was getting old having people point and laugh at my 4X4 spinning out trying to move forward at slippery intersections once the light turned green. For me AT's = winter, MT's = summer.

Oh, and some of the best handling cars are RWD: BMW M3?

If you were referring to my comment, this much I know. Look at the s2000, 350z etc, etc. But in the snow RWD just plain sucks. In the ice - everything sucks... except chains. I've learned you just can't accelerate, brake, or turn hard. Otherwise you're gonna slide.

DanMan2k06 said:
If you were referring to my comment, this much I know. Look at the s2000, 350z etc, etc. But in the snow RWD just plain sucks. In the ice - everything sucks... except chains. I've learned you just can't accelerate, brake, or turn hard. Otherwise you're gonna slide.

That's why one must master the art of drifting... Which is always fun regardless of the vehicle.

I've had BFG AT's on every 4x4 I've owned until now. I let somebody talk me into trying the Dick Cepek FC2s and I could not be happier. All the dcent road manners of an AT, but with a litle more bite when needed. There ain't exactly on overpopulation of rocks to play on in VA Beach, but there is lots of mud and sand. They have done well in everything I have put them to. Suprising well even in the thick clay in the shenendoah Valley for not being an actual md terrain.

Siping increases traction on dry roads also. You haven't said what size your tires are, or if you have a lift. When I had a stiff 3" lift, I ran my 30" BFG's at around 24 psi. They were siped also, handled very well, and lasted forever. I do think my siped 31" AT KO's are a little better in icey stuff than the old ones.

Cherokee's suck in the snow. I have to use 4wd just to pull away from the curb. They are too light in the back. A rear wheel drive vehicle with a good weight distribution is just fine in the snow, if you can drive. I like four wheel drifts. :laugh3:

Fred

Fred said:
Siping increases traction on dry roads also. You haven't said what size your tires are, or if you have a lift. When I had a stiff 3" lift, I ran my 30" BFG's at around 24 psi. They were siped also, handled very well, and lasted forever. I do think my siped 31" AT KO's are a little better in icey stuff than the old ones.

Cherokee's suck in the snow. I have to use 4wd just to pull away from the curb. They are too light in the back. A rear wheel drive vehicle with a good weight distribution is just fine in the snow, if you can drive. I like four wheel drifts. :laugh3:

Fred

How's your MJ in the snow? I usually fill the bed with snow to add weight and it's not too bad, but my 93 ZJ still kicks it's butt on ice. Both have BFG AT KOs, but the ZJ is better balanced and running 235s instead of 32s.

Try makin a Home Depot run. Grab about 150 lb of the cheapest bagged landscape type gravel you can find. Put in the back right over your axle. Also remember that your new tires have a much larger footprint than your stockers. This kinda works against you on slick hard packed snow on road surfaces. The weight of your vehicle is now spread out over a much larger area.

Back