• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time to PO the ricers

2wd or 4wd

• 2wd

Votes: 43 13.2%
  • 4wd

Votes: 282 86.8%

• Total voters
Re: I need some help!

JungleJim said:
Hello all, I just got a 92 Laredo. Its almost flawless. It has 69k miles and is very clean. I am looking to spruce it up a lot but need help. Does anybody know where I should look for custom grilles? I am not finding many 92 aftermarket cherokee grilles. Also, I would like to find the glow gauges. Please send me an email or reply to this as soon as you can. Thanks.

[email protected]

www.customcargrilles.com

That's where I got mine. I like it.

Scott Mac. said:
I'd get a sports car. Buy something that was built for the purpose you intend to use it. As much as some people would like to believe otherwise, a XJ wasn't built to handle curves at speed.

Yep. If you want to slide around corners on a gravel road, but still have room in the back for junk (or a set of wheels with Hoosiers)...then look into a Subaru. In fact, look past the WRX wagon. Look at the Forester XT. That's right, a Forester. The XT gets a detuned version of the STi 2.5L turbo engine and shorter differential gears. Throw on some smaller tires (same as other Impreza-based Subarus) and it gets geared down even more. The XT is one of the best sleepers on the market, and quicker than any stock WRX (non-STi).

So...get a used one that was driven by a woman who needed to haul groceries in the back, mount tires suited for your road, and haul ass.

Scott Mac. said:
I'd get a sports car. Buy something that was built for the purpose you intend to use it. As much as some people would like to believe otherwise, a XJ wasn't built to handle curves at speed.
well your total missing the point. I like to build things that don't make sence. why do we spend crap loads of money to put 37s and such nder or xjs hummmmmmmmm. I have a couple sports cars but they are expected to be fast. I would love to have a wrx wagon but right now that anit going to happen.

SouthernXJ said:
I have heard this before. Freaky.

Believe it.:) If you consider the Forester XT an SUV (it isn't), then it is the fastest SUV on the market. The Porsche Cayenne turbo is powerful, but too heavy to compete with the FXT. :moon:

I have nothing of use really to contribute except to say go for the MJ, and post pics as you build, I'd love to see that. I love nothing more than pulling up next to a Focus SE or Civic or whatever rice burning car I find at the light (Neons are fun too) and see them with their Folger's brand muffler, body kit (replete with cracks and scratches from dragging over every pothole, driveway and speed bump) and just waste them off the line in my 96 Sport. I have caught more than a few and knocked them down a notch or three. Most recently was someone who went about it all wrong with a Ford Aspire...what was he thinking. I felt kinda bad later though... ;)

I was amazed myself when I first read about the XT also...however my dream remains to drop a Chevy 383 stroker or an AMC 390 (?) in a Gremlin...in the hatch area if necessary to make it fit.

something along the lines of what richp said.
zj drivetrain (5.2 or 5.9) engine, to t-case, maybe utilize the full-time 4wd?
(but not sure if you have to use the cv joints in the d30 though;thats over my head)
upgrade to 16" or 17" wheel & tire?

just a thought
-g
my 5.2 hauls!

BlackSport96 said:
I was amazed myself when I first read about the XT also...however my dream remains to drop a Chevy 383 stroker or an AMC 390 (?) in a Gremlin...in the hatch area if necessary to make it fit.
Any amc v8 will pretty much bolt in a gremlin. a dealer used to sell them with 401s. they were a hand full. one tester decided to see what happen if you realy got on it off the line, he ended up facing the way he came from.

my choice would be a e36 m3 or an older m5
or for that non threatening look
a 5 series wagon
0294.jpg

540i M62 8 cylinder 286 HP 250 km/h 1996 - present

REDXJ4FUN said:
Any amc v8 will pretty much bolt in a gremlin. a dealer used to sell them with 401s. they were a hand full. one tester decided to see what happen if you realy got on it off the line, he ended up facing the way he came from.

I would probably tub out the rear and stick some fat tires under it (maybe 10-13" wide) Heck, I'd probably recommend some 245-265/55 or so tires for the project MJ that is the true topic here. I would love to see either of these vehicle pull up next to the latest 2Fast2Furious acolyte and totally leave him in the dust...

282 Hp

Well its started. I picked up a 2.5l short bed 2wd mj. I know the 2.5 is kinda down on hp but i have plans for a major rebuild and forced induction proble in the turbo form. I need to swap in a 5 speed in place of the 4 speed or maybe look in to other trannys. i'm reserching everything right now and its kind a funny the ieads i'm thinking of that are based on what we do for our lifted xjs such as fender triming and control arms. and offset ball joints for some camber.

I'd love to stick a new Hemi in a Cherokee with a 242 and a good limited slip :spin1: . I drove a 2wd longbed regular cab Hemi Ram last Feb. Every time I punched it while running at 30 mph it would spin the tires, and the one time I had it stopped at a light and punched it when the light turned green all it did was spin the tires and rattle the bed :roflmao: . Luckily I was able to leave the salesman at the dealership :shhh: . Just imagine this, 345+ hp in a 3300lbs Cherokee with full time 4wd, with better weight distibution than any other combo (maybe even better than a 4.0l powered truck).

Sounds good except that the Hemi might be too wide to fit in the XJ's engine bay, and there's also the problem of where to route the piping from the exhaust manifolds.
I'm going to install my homebuilt 4.6 stroker with 260+hp/320+lbft into my XJ very soon. A mid-14's 1/4 mile should be within reach and that should be enough to see off most ricers. I could even give the 227hp Scooby WRX and '99+ Mustang GT a run for their money.
Let the good times roll!
- Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

It sounds like the New Hemi is a bit narrower and shorter than the small block Chevy as well a noticably lighter. I'm wondering if it might be possible to rob a LA motored Grand (probably a ZJ) of its post manifold to Cat. exhaust plumbing and use manifolds off a new Hemi Grand. It might be easier than the idea I had when I had my 94 ZJ Laredo. I was wondering how easy it might be to put a Viper V-10 in place of the 4.0l!

As is my stock XJ is able to give my friends 95 Mustang GT a run for its money. Off the line at least...

Back