• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on Rim Stiffeners / Rock rings

If you were buying them, but the OP made the rock rings himself. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Rock rings look good Brad. They should work well in protecting the rim from bending too.

Yeah but even if he made them himself, wouldn't it be just as cheap to make an outer ring and get the benefit of beadlocks for just a few bucks more? I just don't get it. I know he said he doesn't run tough trails but any trail that you are bending rims on is tough enough for beadlocks. Mud, snow, getting junk caught in the bead - there are tons of reasons to run beadlocks, especially if they are cheap. Just my $0.02.

@Deftwill & Lowrange
285 75 16

@ Weirdo
PA cops are getting picky - I mean really picky breaking out the rule book and giving fines out like crazy. I have gotten hit for Bumper height etc... Last I read, beadlocks arent street legal (I drive my jeep to the places I offroad) So I'm thinking of keeping my money in my pocket.

@ Weirdo
PA cops are getting picky - I mean really picky breaking out the rule book and giving fines out like crazy. I have gotten hit for Bumper height etc... Last I read, beadlocks arent street legal (I drive my jeep to the places I offroad) So I'm thinking of keeping my money in my pocket.

If its less of a hassle with the cops and more $$$ in your pocket - now that I can understand. :cheers:

My opinion is if you're gonna go to the trouble of welding rings on your rims why not do beadlock kits?
Bead lock rims are a compromise.
On the plus side, they hold the outer bead in place on the rim at low inflation pressures, and stiffen the outer rim.
On the negative, as mentioned, they tend to leak. Also, they only lock one side of the tire. You can still slip the inner bead and go flat unless you install both inner and outer locks(I've only seen inner- and outer bead-locks once.) They also weigh a lot, sometimes doubling the weight of the rim. Most of this doesn't matter on a crawler/trail rig, but can get pretty annoying on a daily driver.

The reinforcement will add weight, but not as much as the double ring of a bead-lock. The bead reinforcement won't affect the bead seal. If he doesn't run his tires aired way down, the reinforcement may be a better solution for him.

Personal opinion: While they cost a lot more, the Staun internal bead-lock locks both sides of the rim and doesn't require an impact driver to change tires or a welder to install. It's probably a better solution for a daily driver. I think it's a better solution all around.

Also bead locks leak air like a sieve. His wheels will hold air. Having to re-air up your wheels every week is lame.
ever run beadlocks?

side from airing back up from trail runs, i have yet to air up mine due to leaking. They hold a solid 30psi for weeks on end with no fluctuation. (unless it goes form 60* to balls cold, then EVERYONE loses some air)

my brother has bead locks on his ranger and several of his friends run them on their race trucks. They all leak. It has to do with the way the rim seals with the bead lock rim. When you have a normal rim/tire the tire seals on the outside of the lip. with a bead lock rim that outer seal area is cut off. The tire is then clamped on the inside of the rim where the tire isn't flat. It has bumps and ribs on it.

Last edited:
I dont want to start this argument again, but where did you read that?
Also bead locks leak air like a sieve. His wheels will hold air. Having to re-air up your wheels every week is lame.
My wheels on my trail rig leak like a sieve without beadlocks, Id rather have a beadlocked wheel leaking than a non beadlocked wheel leaking.

I like the rim stiffeners. Having recently broken a outer lip of a wheel, my next set of wheels will either be beadlocked or have a rim stiffener added.

I'll throw another vote down for being a good thing (rim stiffeners or beadlocks).
Without them I wouldn't have been able to sit and cook the tires while bouncing off a rock and adding bling to the wheels:
ChromeRockRing.jpg

Surely without them I would have done some damage to the wheel and studs. 5 min with file to remove burrs and a rattle can and all is back to good.
That being said, if I was to weld something on a standard wheel and the wheel itself isn't already a beadlock or it doesn't have internal provisions it would be a beadlock not a plain rim stiffener.

Personal opinion: While they cost a lot more, the Staun internal bead-lock locks both sides of the rim and doesn't require an impact driver to change tires or a welder to install. It's probably a better solution for a daily driver. I think it's a better solution all around.
I think the Staun design is great but most tire shops in my area won't touch a rim with them installed.

Back