• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thought i'd share the new rig..

Thats the plan.. i want to keep it as light as possible with added accessories.

I'd highly suggest going with a factory TC skid then. They're fairly rugged for what they are and will do a decent job. I had the full weight of my old ZJ on mine a few times and it bent some but still protected the TC effectively. They only weigh between 10-15 pounds.

We'll see. This thing will rarely see rocks large enough to really necessitate a transfer skid, i do have fuel and lower front arm mounts skidded since they may likely take a hit on moderate trails.

Honestly this is taller than i need for a camping rig Dave.. if i hadnt decided to use the parts i already had from XJ i probably would have liked to been around 3" and 31's. Then a tc skid would have made more sense in my application.

After Moab in Oct i just might decide to look into trading this for another ZJ as mentioned or even a clean stocker with V8.

Swapping rear ujoints, one was really stuck. Had to break out the balljoint press and impact. Look like they may have been originals, they are spicers. But they were still good, aged but good.

We'll see. This thing will rarely see rocks large enough to really necessitate a transfer skid, i do have fuel and lower front arm mounts skidded since they may likely take a hit on moderate trails.

Honestly this is taller than i need for a camping rig Dave.. if i hadnt decided to use the parts i already had from XJ i probably would have liked to been around 3" and 31's. Then a tc skid would have made more sense in my application.

After Moab in Oct i just might decide to look into trading this for another ZJ as mentioned or even a clean stocker with V8.

Swapping rear ujoints, one was really stuck. Had to break out the balljoint press and impact. Look like they may have been originals, they are spicers. But they were still good, aged but good.

In my (not too many) years of wheeling ZJ's, I ended up needing my TC skid way more than my tank skid. Just one of those things that I'd much rather have in a pinch. It's your rig, but I feel it's more than worth the $10 from the JY and the 15 pounds it adds to the rig.

3" and 31's and full armor/recovery is going to be the perfect setup for me in the near future. Just need to order the rest of my parts then get off my lazy ass and do the lift.

In my (not too many) years of wheeling ZJ's, I ended up needing my TC skid way more than my tank skid. Just one of those things that I'd much rather have in a pinch. It's your rig, but I feel it's more than worth the $10 from the JY and the 15 pounds it adds to the rig.

3" and 31's and full armor/recovery is going to be the perfect setup for me in the near future. Just need to order the rest of my parts then get off my lazy ass and do the lift.

OK..OK.. i'll go get one tomorrow if you'll stop bustin my balls about it!

;) Just kiddin ya Dave, you accomplished getting through to me. I'll look at grabbing an OEM if i see one that's not lying in mud.

Ujoints are done, about to order some new axleshaft bearings for the 44. I'll get the housing painted up this week and think about installing it next.

OK..OK.. i'll go get one tomorrow if you'll stop bustin my balls about it!

;) Just kiddin ya Dave, you accomplished getting through to me. I'll look at grabbing an OEM if i see one that's not lying in mud.

Ujoints are done, about to order some new axleshaft bearings for the 44. I'll get the housing painted up this week and think about installing it next.

It worked! I expect to see pictures tomorrow.

Reset the toe in to between 1/16" and zero, i had originally set it to 1/8" measuring from the tires. The 242 calls for zero so i'm close enough for now till i get it on a rack. I'd love to know what my caster is..

Stole this from cteunich.

ZJwork002_zpsdad09f99.jpg

Marked my bumper cover and trimmed. Ziptied the inner liner back. Took 2" off the lower corner and tapered up to fender.

ZJwork004_zps96b77648.jpg

ZJwork006_zps871994d0.jpg

Fellow ZJers.. need input. Just bought a working autodim sideview mirror. Considering i have a 98 will i find this a plug and play or do i need a harness/other from the donor rig?

Thanks Dave..

I asked at JF and found it piggybacks off the autodim rearview. So i should be able to make it work with my Gentex177 97' Tahoe autodim rearview.

Seller wants paypal payment gifted though, told him if he's firm on the gifting he will need to take the same chance he's asking of me and send it on faith. Once i get it i'll gift payment.

Thanks Dave..

I asked at JF and found it piggybacks off the autodim rearview. So i should be able to make it work with my Gentex177 97' Tahoe autodim rearview.

Seller wants paypal payment gifted though, told him if he's firm on the gifting he will need to take the same chance he's asking of me and send it on faith. Once i get it i'll gift payment.

So the harnesses are still the same, correct? I think there are just unused pins in the non-heated, non-autodim mirrors.

I'd pay him the 3.5% or whatever it is to not deal with that BS.

90 some days till I head to Utah.. time to get busy and finish this POS up.

Thanks again Vette for the 249 transfer. Used the front case half and input assembly in combination with my 88 XJ 242 and now have a 242 to bolt into the ZJ. All new bearings and seals..

MOFO is coming down from NY for part of the holiday, bringing me a dial indicator. My pinion preload is a bit loose on the new rear axle so we will get it dialed in before I swap the axle/transfer in.

Then find a local place to get a good alignment and i'll be ready for interstate.

249-242build001_zpsf7d1f45c.jpg

249-242build002_zpsfd66aaf8.jpg

242-249hybrid002_zps6bf0340a.jpg

xj44painted003_zpsdd730a72.jpg

Nice! I'm so jealous you guys are getting to go to Moab. :(

For pinion preload, you're going to need an in/lb beam-style torque wrench not a dial indicator. I think you know that, since I think you posted about it a while back.

It's tight doing two western trips back to back but i'm savin my penny's. I need to get this trip done finally.. i'll be gone just about a month.

Yep, picked up an in/lb torque wrench to adjust pinion, the indicators to check backlash again after.. iirc Joe at EMF said to try removing 3thou from rg side and adding to other.

The pinion preload went away because of well worn bearings.. which created a new wear pattern on the gear set.

I don't want a noisy gearset so i'll order up a new ring and pinion through EMF and have Joe set these up.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Back