• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things you don't see everyday...

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
But are more common in Albuquerque. Wife and I heard what sounded like a dragon getting very, very close to our house. Looked outside to see this balloon barely over the house. It landed in the street with no issues, they packed it up and were gone in 15-20 min.

Was nice to see it and enjoy my morning coffee.

20131020_091858.jpg

20131020_091559.jpg

20131020_091201.jpg

They had enough propane to miss the power lines behind my house... but barely. That is what woke me up, it sounded like a dragon outside my bedroom window.

Not totally but the have some control. At least control of up or down. Unless they ran out of propane it seems they could have at least got it out of the neighborhood.

It's fairly common for hot-air balloons to land in neighborhoods. They navigate by reading "winds aloft" forecasts and adjusting their launch points to be upwind of where they plan to land, usually a large open field. If the forecast are significantly off, they miss.
They'll stay up as long as they can, looking for a clearing to land in, but if things don't look promising, weather starts looking iffy, they get near controlled air space, or get low on fuel, they'll put it down on a surface street, park, ore even a back yard.

Back