• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The official Xota build thread

againstherwill said:
You have really done a great job with the buildup and the post. When I started reading I was looking at the front rails and thinking "he'll be able to fit some monsters under there when he is done" Then I kept reading and saw that YOU ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO PUT SOME LARGE MEATS UNDER THERE. Did you think you would get that much when you started?
Also you said you find ourself Hauling stuff therefore the need for the Truck. But I think that thing is BEGGIN for a bobbed Bed. Great work.

No I din't think I would end up with that much room for bigger tires.

It would look real cool bobbed. But I really do need the flat bed hauling space

Beej said:
Looks really good. Certainly far beyond what I could manage. A question though, you said you couldn't really move the engine any further forward, but looking at how much engine is sticking through the firewall... I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to put the radiator on the rear of the truck to gain back that space for the motor to move forward? Just a thought...

Same as above. I thought about radiator in rear but didn't want to loose the space.

BrettM said:
did you know Jeep made this little pickup called an MJ Comanche? ;) It would have been much easier, but props on all the hard work and thinking outside the box.

I looked for a MJ but couldn't find one cheap. It would have been alot easier.

Hal9000 said:
sweet work, ever think of trying to mod a XJ grill to fit into the front of that??
Actually I'm going to see how much trouble it will be to put on XJ fenders, hood, and header panel. If the XJ fenders are somewhat close to fitting against the Toy. doors, then that's what I'll do. I have all the XJ parts so...

87xjco said:

I feel the same way. I knew of and wanted an MJ, but couldn't find one at all really there aren't many left around here, let alone a 5 spd. one like I wanted. This was back in 2001 btw. I had pretty much decided that the next best thing would be to get another 22R Toyota (actually I had one for a few months, before buying the XJ but it was falling apart). I then found the XJ I have and liked it. I would still jump at the chance if someone offered me a nice MJ, especially if it is cheap, with a blown motor or something I would even swap the XJ parts into it. Someone came by my work and had one for sale the other day, but it needed work and was 2wd and I'm too busy for the work right now plus no $.

I am Making some modifications to the brake pedal/steering column mount so I can use the XJ booster and column. I was lucky that the brake pedal is in the right position to bolt up to the booster rod once the booster is bolted thru these new hole positions.
DSC00063.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

87xjco said:

Well, you know, easier normally equates to being the difference between "pay my now" and "pay me later".

Cool swap. I dig Toyota PUs - just don't fit. :)

I was able to use the old clutch master cylinder position and cut out a square that the engine harness can bolt thru to the interior fuse box & harness. The Jeep brake booster is bolted up now also.
11/15/05
DSC00065.jpg

Fuse box on the interior side of the firewall.
DSC00066.jpg

Turned the XJ gas tank around opposite of how it mounted in the XJ and built a frame out of angle iron that bolts to the gas tank and to brackets that are welded to the frame.
DSC00067.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

how does the yota frame and sheetmetal compare to an XJ as far as weight? I'm thinking that a 4.0 is gonna be hella motivation for that "thing"
That's totally awesome by the way.

Back