• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Bill Ain't Billy enough for Billy boats Thread

Most of the engineers that frequent this thread deal more with metal than houses. I know enough about houses to get myself in trouble (like yourself). I'm generally against pulling permits (the town/state can go F themselves) but if you plan on reselling in 5-10 years you might want to consider it for something like this.

I'm not sure what everyone else's talents are, but Bill might be able to help you.

I'm getting money from the bank to do some of the work. Not the ceiling. But other stuff and they will come and inspect the work. And I'm worried they will call the town.

Stefan.. first, congrats on buying a home, thats great!!

Second, did you have a home inspection before buying? What did the inspector have to say about issues with the house? Also, something to consider is it is harder to heat a home with cathedral ceilings. Is there a real reason besides just the look to do it? Many of the new homes that are being built near me have an "open" floor plan, where the front door opens onto a large open staircase, totally open from ground floor to 2nd floor ceiling. The biggest complaint from homeowners is it is hard/expensive to heat this type of house.

If your going to do the cath ceiling, show your plans to a civil engineer and make sure it is structurally sound. They will also know the local rules, and should be able to provide you guidance there too.

Stefan.. first, congrats on buying a home, thats great!!

Second, did you have a home inspection before buying? What did the inspector have to say about issues with the house? Also, something to consider is it is harder to heat a home with cathedral ceilings. Is there a real reason besides just the look to do it? Many of the new homes that are being built near me have an "open" floor plan, where the front door opens onto a large open staircase, totally open from ground floor to 2nd floor ceiling. The biggest complaint from homeowners is it is hard/expensive to heat this type of house.

If your going to do the cath ceiling, show your plans to a civil engineer and make sure it is structurally sound. They will also know the local rules, and should be able to provide you guidance there too.

Thanks Andy. There aren't any issues with the house other than some of the baseboard being stolen. And my parents had half a cathedral ceiling in their house and I don't believe heating was ever an issue. I plan on putting 2 ceiling fans up high to help push the heat back down. Also I plan on getting everything looked at by an engineer. Just thought I'd get a preliminary OK from the engineers on here so I don't jet told I'm crazy and waste a trip to his office. I didn't realize they don't deal with this stuff.

Congrats Stefan!

Also, something to consider is it is harder to heat a home with cathedral ceilings. Is there a real reason besides just the look to do it? Many of the new homes that are being built near me have an "open" floor plan, where the front door opens onto a large open staircase, totally open from ground floor to 2nd floor ceiling. The biggest complaint from homeowners is it is hard/expensive to heat this type of house.

^^^This. My neighbor actually said the same thing after having built a house with cathedral ceilings.

Well the 2x8s are already there. I'm not going to tear the whole roof off.to do this. Idk its all 2x8 rafters with what I believe are a few vertical supports.

We don't get as much snow as you do down here. So I'm hoping 2x8 will fly.
Ah, I thought the roof was going...

They may fly for snowload in your area but I am still doubting insulation value. You may end up with hardboard insulation over them before sheetrock or blue board. Without it I think you are probably only looking at a R21-25 maybe in a 2x8? That is a lot of foam if you have to get to an R38 like we do up here... Assuming you are doing this on the books and since some of the money is coming from the bank they will probably want to see permits.

You could also sister some 2xsomethingbigger to the 2x8s if you had to.

My almost 9 is doneish welding up the brackets tonight and the pumpkin this winter I am doing a back and top truss because I'm not to sure on how strong the actual axle housing is and if I do the trusses I will have a nice base to start linking it with and to stretch with.
Any one know of any major isuzu 12b faults that I have missed?

Ah, I thought the roof was going...

They may fly for snowload in your area but I am still doubting insulation value. You may end up with hardboard insulation over them before sheetrock or blue board. Without it I think you are probably only looking at a R21-25 maybe in a 2x8? That is a lot of foam if you have to get to an R38 like we do up here... Assuming you are doing this on the books and since some of the money is coming from the bank they will probably want to see permits.

insulation codes for ny
https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/?state=New York

My almost 9 is doneish welding up the brackets tonight and the pumpkin this winter I am doing a back and top truss because I'm not to sure on how strong the actual axle housing is and if I do the trusses I will have a nice base to start linking it with and to stretch with.
Any one know of any major isuzu 12b faults that I have missed?
Please stick to roof related subjects, thank you

Yeah so a 2x8 ain't gonna cut it without foam. That is a lot of foam ($$$) to bring it up to that, even if you could somehow squeeze an R25 in there that is still over 2.5" of foam needed (at R5 per inch). Not sure which county he is in either, so he could be looking at an R49 (50) requirement.

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Roof Related Subjects Thread

NAC-Lots-O-2x8 ain't gonna cut it Thread

Stefan, have you ever done plumbing and installed baseboards? If not, you're in luck because it's not difficult as long as it's a standard installation. Just make sure all the joints are clean and you don't over heat the flux.

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Roof Related Subjects Thread

NAC-Lots-O-2x8 ain't gonna cut it Thread

Stefan, have you ever done plumbing and installed baseboards? If not, you're in luck because it's not difficult as long as it's a standard installation. Just make sure all the joints are clean and you don't over heat the flux.

He'll find a way to make a tig-migged mess out of all of it.

Back