• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Bill Ain't Billy enough for Billy boats Thread

It was where some/most vendors stayed last year. Awesome places with nice patios. Close to Area BFE and the brewery. A few miles from the center.

I'm pumped. It's 4.8 miles from the moab diner, so close enough to ride the rental side by sides back and forth :thumbup:

I'm supposed to have surgery on my ankle this Thursday. So naturally, I start coming down with something 2 days before.

Feels pretty good driving around the hills & bumps in my backyard, guess we'll see what happens at shock tuning next weekend.

I should probably figure out the winch situation before rocktoberfest too, lest I incur the wrath of Bob.

Oh where is the like button
E

I'm supposed to have surgery on my ankle this Thursday. So naturally, I start coming down with something 2 days before.

I feel you. The one day I have to work on the jeep this week and of course i'm up puking every hour last night and didn't leave bed today. :party:

I'm starting a gofundme, so we can all donate to greatwhite's commissary so he can get some cigarettes and tooth paste in the clink.

Shit man, what happened to him?

so you guys who are engineers. Im planing on doing a cathedral ceiling in my new place. and I plan on getting all the drawing OKed by and engineer and approved by the town, but to save me trips back and forth with an engineer and give my self a better chance to be oked on my first submit. I thought you guys could tell me if you thought this would be an acceptable way of building it.

I plan on eliminating one supporting wall thats the 5' wall in the center. and bring the ceiling height up by about 42" at that height Ill use double 2x6 collar ties that will be attached with a .5" carriage bolt on either end. with a vertical 2x4 going up to the ridge.

here are my drawings

floor plan of the part of the house to be modified

drawing of how I want to build. there is a side view and a kind of to scale top view that shows how I will double up the 2x6. one will get the carriage bolt and the other will get cut to the pitch of the rafter

my scanner had a hard time picking up my lines so i had to up my contrast a bunch which is why it looks so shitty.

I have no idea. I went full 1000% overkill when I did structural changes to my house and ended up with steel ledgers that are capable of supporting 260,000lbs (at least) while hot enough to melt aluminum, so my input is probably not what you want.

Even just using one carriage bolt sounds sketchy to me, but yeah, I overbuild shit like that. I used four 1/2" carriage bolts in each spot where I had to splice 2x6s.

but im not splicing. it will be one continuous piece. the purpose of the collar tie is to keep the weight of the ridge/roof from causing the walls to spread. so most of the load they will see will be a stretching force. at least that's how I understand it.

Most of the engineers that frequent this thread deal more with metal than houses. I know enough about houses to get myself in trouble (like yourself). I'm generally against pulling permits (the town/state can go F themselves) but if you plan on reselling in 5-10 years you might want to consider it for something like this.

I'm not sure what everyone else's talents are, but Bill might be able to help you.

2x8s around here wouldn't pass for snow load and insulation reasons (no way to get the minimum R38 in a 2x8). When we did my brother's house they wanted 2x12s at a minimum or scissor trusses. In the end the trusses worked out better allowed for more insulation (ended up close to an R50) and believe it or not having them brought in and set with a crane was cheaper than building 2x12 rafters on site.

My open attic is done similar to your sketch but with 20' 2x12s, 16" for everything, again for snow and insulation reasons. I can dig out the stamped drawings and send a photo if that helps you. I am close to the same depth you are looking at, 28'

Last edited:

Well the 2x8s are already there. I'm not going to tear the whole roof off.to do this. Idk its all 2x8 rafters with what I believe are a few vertical supports.

We don't get as much snow as you do down here. So I'm hoping 2x8 will fly.

Back