• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

Seriously you guys need some normal woman.

I have a woman that puts up with me, I ask for nothing more from her. She enjoys going wheeling and watching me destroy a rocker panel and gas tank on our first date.

He took mine, which was that countersunk removeable plate bolted to the tube.

Just burn the tube and one tab on. Done.

Didn't worky for me. Passed it along to robs buddy today when we got to the campground, hopefully he can use it. Mine came out like ass and is gonna fall off tomorrow :thumbup:

I'd say I will be doing the same but I don't think it's half built yet.

First at 3:50PM? I'll take it.

I need to invest in a good corded drill. Both of my cordless batteries died so now I get to wait until tomorrow until I can finish my hinge fix. Joy.

Been sort of a wasted day, every time I go to work on the stiffeners something comes up. At least I got rid of the death wobble and sold some turhs. Hopefully I can bang em out tomorrow so I can wheel Monday.

Also, good to finally meet you Doug!

Yeah, I spent some time working on my cornhole boards early in the day, started fixing the door hinges, but after the batteries died I just gave up for the day and cleaned up to head to a BBQ. Now that the BBQ got delayed for a couple hours I've been trying to stay clean... but as time passes I keep thinking I should really go put a coat of poly on the cornhole boards and try not to make a mess.

Well it looks like I'm not getting an inspection... FML... also I really hate GM steering columns. I'd commit unmentionable acts of cruelty if I met the engineer responsible for this design.

I can't even steer my MJ right now. A 94 non tilt GM column bolts into a 91 MJ originally with a tilt column but the intermediate shaft simply won't go together. Oh, another protip, a 91 ignition cylinder will go into a 94 column but good luck ever getting it back out, and tilt vs non tilt ignition switches have the direction swapped, so you have to use the right one.

:banghead::mad:!!!1

Well it looks like I'm not getting an inspection... FML... also I really hate GM steering columns. I'd commit unmentionable acts of cruelty if I met the engineer responsible for this design.

I can't even steer my MJ right now. A 94 non tilt GM column bolts into a 91 MJ originally with a tilt column but the intermediate shaft simply won't go together. Oh, another protip, a 91 ignition cylinder will go into a 94 column but good luck ever getting it back out, and tilt vs non tilt ignition switches have the direction swapped, so you have to use the right one.

:banghead::mad:!!!1

Ken will the column from an 89 work? If so come grab the one from the green xj tomorrow.

Turns out after some parts catalog searching, they ARE the same steering shaft. 4713 943 is the part number and it fits at least 91-94 with power steering, probably 84-94 with power steering if I had to guess.

NFI why it won't go together. It looks like I'm gonna be using a bigger hammer shortly.

I sometimes don't know why I work on jeeps at all... this project went from fun and easy to XXXX IT I HATE THIS PROJECT very, very quickly.

oh and auto vs manual steering columns are different too. Exactly the difference I expected, the auto ones have the linkage for the park-lock cable. The problem I was having with the steering column locking itself the first time I turned it was because without the cable installed and connected to the shifter, the return spring inside the shifter wasn't applying pressure on the linkage towards the steering wheel, so the column would automatically lock itself. I removed the damn thing and duct taped the shit out of it, since it's a really small amount of force from the spring loaded linkage I think it should be fine. If it doesn't seem like it I'll drop the column again and put a screw in it or simply remove the damn steering lock ring altogether.

Last edited:

:party::party::party:

I solved all the above problems using a mass quantity of WD-40, the post out of a harbor freight 6 ton jackstand, a cold chisel, and a significant quantity of anger and pent up frustration. Steering's all back together.

Carmelo was right. You can free up AND properly lubricate a U-joint using WD-40 :gee: Turns out a variety of slip fittings and U-joints in my intermediate shaft were seized from rust. Gonna order a new one to replace it though... doubt it'll last much longer.

Now time to get the column fully bolted in and wired and make sure everything works (i.e. it still starts and runs.)

You just have to reshoot them with WD every few months.

You just have to reshoot them with WD every few months.
I figure I'll probably hit em again every weekend when I remember... so six months or so from now.

you guys are hack.

WHERE ARE THE WHEELING PICS???
yup.

Shit steers amazingly now. Smoother than it's ever been. I wish I'd replaced this steering column like six months ago.

Break in is happening tomorrow.

:)
nice!

I should be on the trail by 10. Well, assuming I wake up on time, which is NOT happening, so figure I'll probably be there at like 11 or noonish.

Must remember: hammock, sleeping bag, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, bacon, beer, beer, beer, hotdogs, hotdog buns, bbq sauce, beer, beer, beer, beer, AAA card, maybe some spare parts, tools, firewood

(I'm gonna bring enough beer to keep the whole campfire going, probably)

Been sort of a wasted day, every time I go to work on the stiffeners something comes up. At least I got rid of the death wobble and sold some turhs. Hopefully I can bang em out tomorrow so I can wheel Monday.

Also, good to finally meet you Doug!

You too, ride back south was waaaaaaaaay safer, thanks

Should have left the vice grip on, right shock sounds horrific now :thumbup:

Back