• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: The NAC Lots-O-Muscle-Cars-But-no-driveway-Burndogs Thread

Not sure I'm going to make it on Sunday.

Have to finish painting/cleaning up our study on Saturday and then go to a memorial mass (for my grandparents) down near my parents. Sunday I really need to do oil change/maintenance stuff to my truck.

K Ross

Would you guys bother with rubber Brown Dog motor mounts on a stock TJ that sees daily driver duty, or just go for OEM?

A stock unit? Never anything but DD? Quality OEM (not discount parts store).
If you have extra cash Brown Dogs would be nice. Poly would probably be okay and I think the rubber thing is overrated

quality OEM will probably be almost the same as brown dog.

edit: rock auto only lists BS $8 dollar ones. I'd spring for brown dog rubber and never think about it ever again. Poly vibes, barely, but it does vibe.

Poly vibes a whole lot compared to rubber, especially if you use it for the motor and trans mounts. Liveable for me, but it does get old, just like me and Grandpa Bill.

With a stock jeep on street/all-season tires you'll probably notice the poly motor mounts. With a jeep on mud/all terrains, I doubt you'll notice it.

I DD'd in my old purple XJ on 35" MTZs with poly brown dog mounts. Never noticed the change.

I forgot to say I already have a pair of brown dogs for my XJ, but the driver side mount for an XJ is narrower with washers pressed on, where the TJ uses two full width passenger brackets.

A stock unit? Never anything but DD? Quality OEM (not discount parts store).
If you have extra cash Brown Dogs would be nice. Poly would probably be okay and I think the rubber thing is overrated
Stock TJ, the only offroading it will see is the beach or a car accident.

Napa lists two motor mounts, both made by Balkamp. One is $26 each, and the other is $48 ea. Brown dog is about $10 more expensive for the rubber mounts ($105 for the kit), I definitely don't want Poly.

The $10 different is what has me undecided. BD will obviously be better, I just don't want a lot of vibrations or anything like that, but I also don't want a lot of movement out of the drivetrain. It moves around too much as it is.

quality OEM will probably be almost the same as brown dog.

edit: rock auto only lists BS $8 dollar ones. I'd spring for brown dog rubber and never think about it ever again. Poly vibes, barely, but it does vibe.

I had rubber BD in my XJ, I just don't know if it was that particular vehicle or mounts, but I felt like it experienced vibes more.

I want least amount of vibes without having my drivetrain moving around.

i would just go with OEM

Ya, that might be best.

Poly vibes a whole lot compared to rubber, especially if you use it for the motor and trans mounts. Liveable for me, but it does get old, just like me and Grandpa Bill.

With a stock jeep on street/all-season tires you'll probably notice the poly motor mounts. With a jeep on mud/all terrains, I doubt you'll notice it.

I DD'd in my old purple XJ on 35" MTZs with poly brown dog mounts. Never noticed the change.
Definitely don't want poly. I don't like vibes either.

Last edited:

With poly browndog mounts there's no longer a need for a trans mount wich cancels out all vibes, right Colin?

i like my rubber BDs on my DD. Noticed the vibes in the beginning, but it went away once the rubber got broken in

The xj part out starts today :( oh well it was fun while it lasted. Onto bigger and better things. With v8s.

Front axle is sold. What is a fair price for the 12b? I was thinking $300?

Had a great day of wheelin, it awsome to see sheep and Colin beat the shit out of there rigs with no issues.

Back