• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

I've literally never broken a steering box bolt, except that time I got t-boned by an 89 grand marquis 2 blocks from home. I do put in new bolts when the old ones have any pitting on the shank.

I call that character, and I like a bolt with character.

87 'lives dangerously' manche

THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

The stock bolts are grade 8 (as I recall) and have an extra thick head, nothing wrong with reusing them if they are in good shape.

Shitty spacer... yeah I don't get that at all.

I think I replaced them with new bolts later? Idk. And the stock spacer is fine.

ive ripped threads off the bolts, and ripped threads out of the box

I broke 2 steering box bolts. but it was just turning into my drive way and then seeing it it was drivable still.

was like hey steering feels loose. check and one was broken.
hmmm. turns wheel and snap there goes no. 2.

YO SMART PEOPLE!

i goofed. My new driveshaft has a 3.125" pilot hole. My flange on the 205 has a 2" pilot hole.

I could bolt it up, and maybe it would be fine, but i don't feel like finding out at 80 mph and destroying stuff.

has anyone ever seen a spacer for such an item? the internets don't tell me. and/or who wants to lathe me up a spacer?

Or should i just drop the 80 bucks on a new flange?

I'd either new flange or get a spacer made.

The bolts alone aren't enough to center it.

I'm pretty certain I'm searching for a flange that doesn't exist lol.

Both my outputs have the same bolt pattern. but the front flange is a 3.125" pilot and rear is a 2" pilot. My driveshafts are within an inch of eachother and I would like to keep interchangeability, and toss together a spare shaft one of these days I could use at either end.

So I would prefer not to put a new flange on my driveshaft and just make the t-case end accept it.

Last edited:

You need a bushing or a spacer? If I have time I'll make one.

Yeah that should be pretty simple to do, just knock one out and keep it in your glove box or something.

I've spent the last two nights mentally going over how to do the interior in my project truck, and I think I finally have it figured out...hopefully buying a shit-ton of aluminum sheet for this weekend, and a rivet-nut tool from McMaster. This is one of those things where you keep putting it off and staring at it, and suddenly have a clear idea pop up, and then it's all kinda exciting and motivating to get it done.

For those not following along here's the rear pretty much done:

14392600871_54264ac25c_c.jpg

and the interior 'console' framing done.

14395952045_f709774d8e_c.jpg

Meanwhile I've got like 6 other things churning in the back of my mind...definitely coming together a lot quicker now that I have a good 'box' to work within. :)

Sam, the 3.125" pilot is for a Saginaw drive shaft like what Dodge used on my generation truck. The 2" pilot is for ford driveshafts.

I'd get a 2" pilot flange and stick to the ford style.

Finally back from the honeymoon. What an awesome time.

So much good food, relaxing, clay shooting, kayaking, and just enjoying the view of the mountains.

Still have the rest of the week off. Back to reality come Monday. At least for a week before we get to party again.

Where in VT did you go?

Sam, the 3.125" pilot is for a Saginaw drive shaft like what Dodge used on my generation truck. The 2" pilot is for ford driveshafts.

I'd get a 2" pilot flange and stick to the ford style.

Any reason for sticking to the 2"? Strength? I could get a flange for my shaft probably today so that's a plus.

The 3.125" was used in the front of about a billion trucks. Thought it would be cool to keep interchangeability.

See if anyone makes a hub centric wheel adapter ring for that ID/OD. Probably not, but getting them off the shelf would be nice.

If not, 20 minutes with a lathe and carmelo can make you one with dicks scribed on it I bet.

Back