• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

The steering trick did jackshit.

Yeah I never had any luck with that either. Made some impressive U-shaped parts though.

You'll probably end up doing a unit bearing on it anyway. Take the hub nut off and beat the shit out of the wheel flange until the unit bearing separates. Once you get the front half of the bearing off, you can remove the ball joint nuts and the shaft has enough play that you can take the knuckle off the inner C and then use a torch/press to get the bearing housing out.

I had to do that twice.

I've only ever used an air chisel. Maybe it's the wrong way to do it but all I know is it comes off in 5 seconds and is still good enough to put back on.

I have one of those. It's weird though. Mines's different it looks almost as if someone just cut off the tip of a chisel and welded a lug nut to the end of it :dunno: Weird...

Lol I thought I hit edit but I hit quote

I hit my rotor with a hammer to remove the hub. Worked mint.

Yours is the old style with the rotor being held on behind the hub. Doing brakes on that thing is a much longer job then the newer style that has slip-off rotors.

I've only ever used an air chisel. Maybe it's the wrong way to do it but all I know is it comes off in 5 seconds and is still good enough to put back on.

That's all we did. Marred up the knuckle surface a little but nothing bad.

He banged into work today to finish it up. New Timken hub bearings from Rockauto that I ordered on Monday will be delivered there today.

Yeah I never had any luck with that either. Made some impressive U-shaped parts though.

You'll probably end up doing a unit bearing on it anyway. Take the hub nut off and beat the shit out of the wheel flange until the unit bearing separates. Once you get the front half of the bearing off, you can remove the ball joint nuts and the shaft has enough play that you can take the knuckle off the inner C and then use a torch/press to get the bearing housing out.

I had to do that twice.

Yup, we bent the steering stabilizer bracket brace a tad doing the steering trick.

Beat the shit out of it with a pretty decent sledge. After a long while of chiseling I had to quit on Sunday to go look at that house. My father got one off last night after another 2 hour deal. He should be able to get the other one off today and do the u-joints/slap it all back together.

Mine sucked just as much to do as his the first time I did it. I literally use probably a 1/4 can of antiseize between slathering both sides of the axle to prevent it from seizing again. Haven't had an issue taking them off since.

I like how the FSM procedure for taking those out is "partially undo the bolts and tap lightly with a hammer on the bolt heads to dislodge the bearing housing".

I like how the FSM procedure for taking those out is "partially undo the bolts and tap lightly with a hammer on the bolt heads to dislodge the bearing housing".

:laugh: Awesome.

Do you happen to know what the torque is for the axle nut?

On my truck it's somewhere around 185 lb-ft. Just wondering so I can tell my father since you have the same axle.

:laugh: Awesome.

Do you happen to know what the torque is for the axle nut?

On my truck it's somewhere around 185 lb-ft. Just wondering so I can tell my father since you have the same axle.

What year is it?

Drove the truck to work today. Sold the Subaru 7 hours after I posted it. I had 5 people interested in it. The guy lives in Stoughton (works at Lou's Exhaust) and plans to make it a RSTi me thinks. He's picking it up today.

Who wants to drive with me to pick up some red labels this weekend!?

This is for an '06 but should be the same.

frontaxlemanual.jpg

I'm not sure, whatever my buddy's old Snap-On impact gun is rated for I guess :confused:

If you're hammering on the wheel flange don't be surprised if it needs a unit bearing in the next week or so; the one that I *did* manage to get out with the axle nut still on it took a shit two days after I put it back together.

Damn 263 ft-lbs :laugh: My torque wrench only goes to 250. Thanks Dundy!

I'd go with you but we have to do the stupid pre-cana BS this weekend. Dumb retreat to somewhere in Medway.

And we already bought two new hub bearings Chris. Planned on destroying these ones.

What year is it?

Drove the truck to work today. Sold the Subaru 7 hours after I posted it. I had 5 people interested in it. The guy lives in Stoughton (works at Lou's Exhaust) and plans to make it a RSTi me thinks. He's picking it up today.

Who wants to drive with me to pick up some red labels this weekend!?

FROM WHERE

I almost pulled the trigger on those. I figured I should spend my money on the Nova first though

Which ones are those? The ones i'm talking about are Chris Ball's.

Back