• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The MiXJ

Well, first things first, I don't feel bad about cutting up this MJ at all; it was ROTTED. there was no saving this one, thats for sure. If it was in good shape, I probably would have reluctantly walked away, or just bought the shell and built that too.

As far as why I'm doing the chop... I have a few reasons:

1. I never needed dry storage, everything I ever have with me when wheeling are things that would be much easier to just grab out of a bed rather than trying to wrestle with the hatch/doors.

2. With the wheeling I've been doing, I just don't feel comfortable without a cage, so the point of needing to do the cage when cutting it is null and void in my case, because whether or not I chopped it, the tube would still be on its way. So, if I'm going to be caging it anyway, why not chop it? Now's the time...

3. Less to make a mess. I'll have a windshield, and the sliding rear glass, which are both pretty well out of the way... and no other glass to worry about breaking. I can't coun't how many times I almost made a huge mess when I've slid into trees and waited to hear it shatter. Now, when the ass end slides over into something, it will hit nothing but a bed with tube running along it; much harder to actually damage.

Okay, that makes more sense: If you're doing a full cage anyway, you're already past my two big hangups: the work and the weight.

And I certainly know what you mean about the "side-slide-n-cringe," waiting for that crash. I've been there. I guess I'm just waiting until after I actually break something before I plan to replace or remove it...

I'm still not on board with actually wanting less dry storage, but of course, everybody's needs are different...

Thanks for 'splainin!

Robert

(And I was just funnin' about the donor MJ, but it is sorta sad to see one brought so low!)

I love the look of a chopped 2 door but i like being able to sleep in the back of mine so my roof will stay put for a while! Good luck with the build man! :cheers:

So today I ordered Superior Evolution shafts for the rear 44, and an empty carrier to use in the front. I also organized a trade with some extra parts I won't be using to get an aussie locker to put in the front end instead...I wouldn't mind having a spool in the rear, but would rather not run one in the front if I can avoid it. Given the opportunity to go with this little trade, I figured why not. So, these parts should arrive next week sometime, and I'll swap out the shafts in the rear axle, and after acquiring the aussie, hopefully get started on setting up the gears in the front...

So, I got my Superior shafts last night for the rear 44, still waiting on the carrier for the front 44.

In bigger and better news, I'm getting (5) 90% tread 36x12.50x15 SXs from a buddy of mine in Deepwoods, along with the beadlocks xjbump has for sale here with the 39.5 Iroks. My buddy with the SXs is stepping up to the Iroks, and I'm buying his tires/taking the beadlocks. Should be a pretty awesome setup. I'm pumped. :D

Also, this weekend I'm pulling the stock shafts out of the rear 44 and trading those, my spool, and yukon 4.56s for a NIB aussie from Jon on here (redneckboarder) to be used in the front 44...

All I have left to get to have the Jeep up and running now is a passenger side flat top knuckle, and gears/install kit for the front. Otherwise I believe I've got everything :D I'm just gonna get the Jeep back together for now, wheel it, and in the meantime save up the extra cash for a lot of tubing, then once I get that I'll chop the Jeep, I'm guessing mid-late summer...

Anybody have suggestions on anywhere for good deals on the R&P/install kit? d44 standard cut 4.88/master install kit. Thanks for the help :)

just difs for most all of your gearing/axle needs.
vendor, sponsor and NAXJA supporter.

other than that, its nice when a plan really starts to come together isn't it?

I have not :wave: I will asap though.

let me know what else good you find...

Surely... I'll keep an eye out for the WJ stuff for ya. Anythin else? Who's gone there before, anyone we know?

hey travis I found those wheels you were looking for

pink_bear.jpg

lol how'd you come across those, ya queeeerrr. hahah

could be :) i responded to the ad, thanks sir

no prob.

I don't think those will work. I believe the D44 stuff is the same as the D60 in regards to the spindle bolt pattern changing. I know with the D60 they change as on a Ford D60 the spindle is 5 studs, on a Chevy D60 it is 6 studs.

So looks like you/we have to keep looking. :(

I can confirm that. Ford = 5 stud spindle, Chevy/Jeep = 6 stud spindle.
Billy

yup, i know... i'm gonna be doing chevy/fsj stuff knuckle out, i figured this out after realizing none of the ford stuff will work for my high steer... yayyy :-/

for now i may just run the ford knuckles and non hi steer until i collect the rest of the parts i need, as of right now its up in the air.

Back