• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The MiXJ

hahah. no worries bud, it will be done before nacfest. i hope i don't eat these words. :D

Patience kids, patience. You need to have it, for I have none. :D

something of an update...

Good news first:

I got my SXs and the beadlocks. They are sexy. Last weekend I traded the spool, a gearset, and my rear 44's stock shafts for a new-in-box aussie to use in my front 44. I also picked up a Rubicon Express passenger side upper control arm axle bracket off someone on Pirate for $30 shipped. I've started on reinforcing some of the unibody as well to have a solid base for the cage later this summer, though I'm not too worried about that just yet...

Not so good news:

I ordered from ballistic fabrication 2 weeks ago from yesterday and nothing has been sent out yet. when I ordered they said it would be a couple days because of something with the steering but its been like a week and a half since then. I've talked to them 3 times since ordering, and they've given me 3 reasons why it hadn't shipped, and offered to ship what was ready at that time, and when the last part was good to go they would send that out. annnnd STILL, not one piece has been sent. So, as much as I would love to be updating this thread more, It's kind of hard when I am missing parts :(

**disclaimer** I'm not trying to put BF down or anything, just venting a bit because I really would like to get that stuff in to get a move on with setting up the axle. I understand that they're probably just busy and whatnot, it's just that it irks me when they've told me 3 different reasons, and made agreements on shipping whats ready that day, and the rest after, and then not followed through. I'd appreciate it if they were more straightforward and honest about stuff is all, I suppose. \-end-rant-/

I am making a little progress with the rear axle though. I've decided to do a disc conversion using brakes off a Ford 8.8, I'm waiting on the Teraflex spacers to come in so I can press the bearings/seals onto the shafts and finish that up... I'll get pictures for you guys :)

After this stuff's taken care of, I'll set the gears up in the front axle, and be more or less done for now. Nacfest will come quickly, and I want to make sure it's together enough to wheel :D I was the first to pre-register online, so I'll be damned if I'm not there!! haha

Last edited:
Paying for school... no fun. decided on a slightly different direction, though...1977 HPD44

downsized_0414091843.jpg

Last edited:
haha :party: for sure. Idk why I started this build thread, I change my mind and plans way too often and don't keep up with it here :laugh3:

I won't drop the thread, I just need money and time to fund it. And need to remember to take pics for it too! haha

oh. I meant to ask y'all... what do you think... narrow the HP to EB width so i can keep the upgraded EB shafts that i have to use as spares for the (to be bought) alloys, or just do whatever width works and get custom inners when I order alloys???

What are the plans for the rear? Are you keeping that XJ D44? That will sort of dictate the front.

XJ D44, stock width.

Alright... so not being familiar with EB axles, what are you looking at for width vs say the waggy 44?
The spares shafts are a nice advantage, but in the end they are just stock shafts and arn't worth sacrificing what you need/want for them. If you are smart about it, it wouldn't be to hard to get another set from something else.

The early bronco axles are a couple inches narrower than stock XJ axles, I dunno what the Waggy axles are relatively? One thought I had was possibly to shorten only the long side tube and retain my stock driver side shaft for the spare. I'll have to see where the pinion will sit if I do that, and see if it's a viable option... Just brainstorming here a bit, anyone and everyone is welcome to chime in... I got to get up for work in 4.5 hrs though, so it's time for my nap :) Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Waggy WMS, IIRC, is 61.5"

Sounds like you really need to sit done with the Dana/Spicer books and start looking at shaft lengths to find something you want.

EB axles are like 59" wides. the thing with EB 44's is that the pinion offset is closer the center on the axle. ive seen a couple xj's with them, but some of the issues talked about were driveshaft and center section clearance of the oil pan. find some charts with 44 shaft lengths and start calculating. you could do some mixing and matching, like colin's new 44 it has a waggy PS shaft and a 1/2 ford DS shaft. If it was me, id use a stock length shaft, easy to find stock replacements and alloys.

If it was me, id use a stock length shaft, easy to find stock replacements and alloys.

exactly why I brought up the subject :) It's quite possible that I'll do something like Colin's axle has, I'll probably ask him to measure what his WMS-WMS ended up at by using those..

Another thought would be to just leave the f150 44 as is width-wise, and use spacers in the rear to give the jeep an overall wider stance...and i'm a huge fan of stability. Thoughts on that idea??

EDIT: With the ford axle being in the vicinity of 67" and the xj44 around 60.75", I would need to add 2.5" spacers to either side of the xj44 housing *OUCH*

With that in mind, what is the widest spacer you(whoever feels like talking :laugh3:) would say is the safest to run on a rear axle?

Last edited:
I'm just suprised there's an update in this thread.

Just kidding, I can't wait to see some more progress pics. :cheers:
I'm not really too sure about the spacers, 2.5" seems like a lot though.

Definitely does, I agree. I'm just curious what people think is the most I could safely go... and I'm surprised I'm updating anything too! :spin1:

Back