• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The "Hope I get it done by WF Oh-Ten" thread

Well, sold my 31s on Saturday so it looks like I'll be showing up on 235/75R15 all-terrains.

So now my to-do list looks like this:
- finish CB install and tune antenna
- buy and install front tow hooks
- install rear tow hook
- buy and mount fire extinguisher
- put first aid kit and tow strap in Jeep
- re-cover headliner
- buy and install new stereo head unit
- fix what's vibrating at 60-65 mph
- buy and install t-case and gas tank skids (if money allows)

the list is growing more than it's shrinking...

figure out what to do about a rear driveshaft once the 8.8 goes in (probably retubing a stock front XJ DS, or maybe an explorer/blazer front DS, have heard those fit)
put the brackets on the 8.8
regear new d30, weld new brackets on new d30
pick up new rims with less backspacing and hopefully new tires (32s or maybe used 33s)
bolt in new axles, install new rear DS, do SYE
get an alignment
bolt the fire extinguisher into the jeep
build and install front bumper with recovery points...
install new seats
finish CB install
run the cabling for my OBA properly so I stop blowing the fuse for my cigarette lighter :gee:

I think that's about it... whew

My stock driveshaft fit with my 8.8. I never got around to an SYE. Just put a 1310-1330 joint on the end of it and bolted it to the 8.8 with the ford adapter.

I don't know if you're going to do it all at once or in steps, but your stock one will get you back on the road if you're doing one thing at a time.

Well, I'm hoping to do it all at once - thus why I'm regearing and prepping all the new axles and then installing them. I've got a flange to 1310 adapter sitting on my doorstep right now according to UPS...

Curious, did you switch from a d35 or an 8.25 to an 8.8? And how much lift do you have? All the docs I can find say that a d35 has about 1" shorter pinion than an 8.25 or d44, and an 8.8 apparently has a pinion very close in length to a d35, so I'm just worried that a hack-n-tap SYE on my XJ with 3.5" of lift is going to run out of travel since the shaft is rumored to be ideally sized for an 8.25.

Really, I just need to do the math before I pull the axles.

I replaced a D35. It was practically bolt in because the adapter gives you some length.

If you're going to get a new driveshaft, I would wait until you had the new axle in and the SYE done and then measure for the driveshaft. That's the best way to do it and you'll get the right shaft the first time.

Added to the list

1) Ford Taurus Electric Fan (my mech. fan is attempting to eat my CSF-3 core radiator)
2) Pull spare shafts from the junkyard.
3) Put gas in and go

Added to the list

1) Ford Taurus Electric Fan (my mech. fan is attempting to eat my CSF-3 core radiator)
2) Pull spare shafts from the junkyard.

3) Pull leaf packs and coils from the Up Country you have for XJosh954)Put gas in and go

Fixed it for ya...sorta. My work PC is dumb

So, I'm starting to get that "impending doom" feeling that I'm not going to get anything done. I've got a couple months, sure. But, it just feels so cluster-effed that I won't have the time. Anybody else getting that feeling of paranoia?

I practically live in a constant state of paranoia...I always have in the back of my head that if I make a royal screw up on the farm I could stand loosing a 5th generation farm and millions of dollars in land, livestock and equipment....so when it comes to the Jeep, I dont sweat it :D

So, I'm starting to get that "impending doom" feeling that I'm not going to get anything done. I've got a couple months, sure. But, it just feels so cluster-effed that I won't have the time. Anybody else getting that feeling of paranoia?

If you're not thrashing last minute, you're not doing it right.

that is no crap, I was finishing up my long arms last year about 24 hours before departure and Collin literally pulled an all nighter working on his rig and then drove all the way out there (well, all but the last hour where Jerm had to drive b/c Collin started to asleep at the wheel :D)

I practically live in a constant state of paranoia...I always have in the back of my head that if I make a royal screw up on the farm I could stand loosing a 5th generation farm and millions of dollars in land, livestock and equipment....so when it comes to the Jeep, I dont sweat it :D

LOLOL...nothing like a little pressure huh???
:farmer:

BOB

All of my adult life I've kinda had the mindset of "If I'm 5 minutes early, I'm on time." Since I've owned a Jeep it seems "If I'm 10 minutes late, I'm ahead of schedule."

I've got two weeks over christmas to work on the heep with the kids in daycare all day and I'm still going to be doing stuff the weekend prior.

It's just how I am. Sometimes I can spend all day in the garage, sometimes the couch wins.

Josh, that is damn near sig worthy :thumbup:

Thanks, Tyler. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see if it shows up anywhere.

you may have to look pretty hard for someone that stupid....

you may have to look pretty hard for someone that stupid....

Kinda like your wife? (edit: I mean your wife had to look hard for you.) I lol'd when I saw you used it! I appreciate that sentiment.

I am still pretty sure she lost a bet w/ her hot friends and that is how she ended up with me...she is a good sport though :D

Back