• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The great longarm debate

aaronsxj

NAXJA Forum User
who offers the best overall longarm upgade? RE, TnT, Rusty's, etc. considering price, installation, and function? would like to here your opinions.

Just to confuse the OP....Are you looking for a multi-link set-up(3-arm or 4-arm),or a radius arm(with 1 or 2 uppers).After that they pretty much are the same(other than parts/welding/fitment and quailty).
Best bet is to relax and watch/learn about the good/bad aspects of each style!

Tnt customs!!! It costs abit more but hell you gain an inch of clearance and it serves as its own belly skid!! Oh yeah and powder coated blue is awesome! For 900 bucks. you get this

Extreme Duty Bellypan
CAD Designed
CNC Cut from 1/4" plate
Mounts to the Uni-Body in 12 locations - 6 with through uni-body crush sleeves
Integrated Transfercase Skid
Extends 6" forward from stock x-member
~1" gain in ground clearance
High-Clearance Control Arms
1.75" x .250 DOM Lower Control Arms
Large Flex Joint Assembly on x-member side
Large Rubicon Express Super Flex Joint on differential side
Arms Ship stock length (as determined by 6" lift). The arms can be lengthened 2" while still retaining 1" of positive thread engagement.
Massive thread assembly heat treated to approx Grade 5
Unified National Fine thread on both uppers and lowers. This allows for extreme flexibility in dialing in your suspension.
Jig Assembled for accuracy and fitment
1.50" x .250 DOM Upper Contorl Arms

The OP's referenced set is just nasty.Lack of frame side support,really questionable castor adjustment,zero wheebase adjust(except at time of order).The worst is your losing ground clearance trying to get around the factory LCA mounts(these arms bend down instead of up like the TNT ones)!
Run,run away fast!!!!

HOWEVER, sinse you asked nicely,

(radius) the tnt kit requires you to remove the bellyskid for tranny/transfer case work... but is highly regarded, none the less....

(radius) the RE kit is waaaay to expensive, and therefore orphaned... does anyone use this kit?

(3/4 link) the rockkrawler kit is cheap, but it uses the stock crossmember.... arms mount to the rails... but it had some issues in its early inceptions.... im looking at the rockkrawler kit... not that it matters

(full 4 link, long arm) the claytons/full traction kits are full 4 link long arm kits... great for desert running, but too expensive for me... both mount up to a new crossmember, i beleive...

leave the rustys kit for the stubborn rednecks... its junk, you might as well build your own at that point...
hope i summed it up for you... this is my understanding...

btw, you should be happy people are spending their time to help you out, so keep the attitude to yourself.... all 19 posts of such

Last edited by a moderator:
BDS does make a 6.5" Long arm kit. Very complete, full 4 link setup with new bellypan where all 4 arms mount to. All adjustable arms, with bushings that are truely greasable, and you can upgrade to flex ends as well. Does not cost as much as the RE kits, and rides better (I've had both) And as far as suspensions go, I'd rather only buy one...with a LIFE TIME NO HASSLE WARRANTY...you break it, they replace it. Hows that for tough. And I'm against square control arms...
and yes, I hate the search function on here too.

the clayton kit has to be the easiest to install, boly up crossmember, lay down some welds then bolt up arms, and not to mention the strenth of it, .25" wall, 2.5" square tubing, yeah your not bending that, and by some chance you do, its got a lifetime warentee

As far as which kit, I don't have experince with most of the kits out there. I just think that ground clearance is king, since ground clearance most effects performance. We lift the rig, and use bigger tires, all in the name of gaining ground clearance. So, why would we then add a modification that lowers ground clearance? If you're starting from scratch, choose from the ones that keep the crossmember and the lower control arm mounts up high where clearance isn't sacrificed. If you just want to go fast, or just run fun scenic type trails, it doesn't matter much, but if you want to crawl or do tougher terrain then ground clearance should be as high as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackchrome said:
BDS does make a 6.5" Long arm kit. Very complete, full 4 link setup with new bellypan where all 4 arms mount to. All adjustable arms, with bushings that are truely greasable, and you can upgrade to flex ends as well. Does not cost as much as the RE kits, and rides better (I've had both) And as far as suspensions go, I'd rather only buy one...with a LIFE TIME NO HASSLE WARRANTY...you break it, they replace it. Hows that for tough. And I'm against square control arms...
and yes, I hate the search function on here too.

X2 Must be a mind reader!!:D Not to fond of the search function BUT it does work well if used properly!:wave1: BDS all the way!!

ROBZ95Xj said:
the clayton kit has to be the easiest to install, bolt up crossmember, lay down some welds then bolt up arms, and not to mention the strenth of it, .25" wall, 2.5" square tubing, yeah your not bending that, and by some chance you do, its got a lifetime warentee

x2

And Clayton answers their phone and returns emails. Simple services that TnT can't seem to get right :shocked:

FishPOET said:
x2

And Clayton answers their phone and returns emails. Simple services that TnT can't seem to get right :shocked:

I own the TnT long arms and are very happy with the performance but their customer service and shipping are very poor. Based on that alone I would probably go a different route if I ever have to buy another set of long arms!

if you are buying a total kit with the spring trac bar and all that jazz the tnt ends up being more than the re?

so which on would be the best to buy as a complete system???????

If i were to go with a boxed longarm kit right now, it would be TNT.

Yes you have to pull the crossmember to work on your transfercase. Currently, I find i pull my crossmember a hell of a lot more often than I have to pull my transfer case or upper ends of my driveshafts. It dominates in every other way that I have seen.

The upper arm doesn't need to be that high up. You can mount it inline with the floorpan.

xcm said:
(full 4 link, long arm) the claytons/full traction kits are full 4 link long arm kits... great for desert running, but too expensive for me... both mount up to a new crossmember, i beleive...

Pretty sure claytons is a radius setup, not a 4 link...

Back