• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Great Locker Debate

When I read 'Detroit' Truetrac are we talking about the helical limited slip diff?

Re: Re: The Great Locker Debate

When I read 'Detroit' Truetrac are we talking about the helical limited slip diff?

Yes, many/most will call the truetrac a "locker" but it's limited slip. My understanding is that if you're talking about a Detroit "full locker" then it is not a truetrac.

My trail rig,(35's/4.88's/D-30/8.25) which is never driven in snow/ice, is locked with Detroit full case lockers front and rear. I added the TeraFlex 2-low kit which is the best money i have spent on my XJ yet. I can run most trails in 2-low only popping it in 4-low when needed. I drive my rig sometimes 6 hours to the trails and its street manners are just fine. Snow and ice makes for some quirky driving with auto-lockers though. I don't recommend it.

My DD, (30's/4.10's/D-30/8.25). The 4.10's are perfect for a stock XJ. They would be good with 31's also. I run a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear 8.25 on this Jeep and its perfect for the street but not so much on the trails, even mild trails.

I say re-gear to 4.10, go with a rear auto locker and either a Detroit TT or a E-locker on the front. Add a 2-low kit and enjoy your rig on and off road.

Yup...lots of opinions.

Years of experience has shown me that the best way to get the best of both worlds is to run a selectable in the rear for sure, and anything from a cheap lunchbox locker to selectable in front (depending on your budget).

This gives good street manners, as well as allowing the rear locker to be turned off when needing to maneuver around off road.

I know...here come the "you need to shut off the front locker to steer off road" rants. Nope, that's not entirely correct. If when the rear is locked, and under power going forward, the rig "pushes" straight, making steering the truck around more difficult...a rig with a locked rear and open front will actually push worse than a rig that's locked front and rear, or a locked front/open rear (inside front tire spins faster, thereby helping pull the truck around. Yeah, an open front (or selectable locker off) may have less steering effort (wheel), but only while you're on the easy stuff with the locker off.

Bottom line, a selectable rear/mechanical front will outmaneuver/steer a selectable front/mechanical rear nearly every time...while giving better street manners.

do a selectable in the rear. Bob already said it, but the ability to unlock it and make tight turns is rather handy on the trail.

I have been, open on both ends, locked rear open front, locked rear tru-trac front, locked front and rear. Of those combos the locked front and rear has the worst steering, it's easily rendered with a flip to 2wd however.

When your locked on the front both tires can't maintain traction in corners one has to slip. That slip is what causes the front end push. IMO it wouldn't make much difference if your locked In the rear or not.

I had a spartan up front, and swapped it for a Detroit, For the strength of a Full case locker..

I personally have no plans to ever run a selectable locker.. for "ME" I don't see the point!

So, if you read "MY" post, and compare it to others.. you should be able to see its Really all about Opinion!

I had a spartan up front, and swapped it for a Detroit, For the strength of a Full case locker..

I personally have no plans to ever run a selectable locker.. for "ME" I don't see the point!

So, if you read "MY" post, and compare it to others.. you should be able to see its Really all about Opinion!

What do you have out back?

No one rocking or suggesting a LSD in the rear?

We use the Jeep as a DD about 95% and 5% trailing on on green and blue trails with 32" tires and 4.5" lift, auto and 3.55's. Because most of the driving is street we are going to put a Detroit TruTrac in the rear for everyday good manners, OK maybe not the best for the 5% offroad time and put a Spartan in the front for offroading/4WD times. On the street in the snow and ice, 2WD will be fine, 4WD might be a slight experience.

Rear- Detroit TrueTrac Helical LSD, Front-Spartan locker. 95%street/5%trail.

Rear- Detroit TrueTrac Helical LSD, Front-Spartan locker. 95%street/5%trail.

Hey look at that! Im with Marty. Spend the bucks on a LSD for the rear which will allow you to regear with out the need to buy a new carrier and chuck a lunch box in the front. If you hate it, pull it out and sell it and buy a selectable and regear if you see fit. Only time i curse my Aussie is in 2wd on ice when stopping and 4wd on icy hiways.

ARB up front and No-Slip in the back for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

If you can't learn how to drive with an auto locker in the rear, then save up for a selectable. It's simple and just like driving any car with a limited slip.

I didn't want to deal with any issues or problems with an auto locker in the front, so I ponied up for an ARB. Kinda wish I would have gotten an eaton E-locker for the simple wire hook up, since I've had some issues with my ARB leaking randomly. Still wouldn't go with anything but a selectable up front because I drove it a lot on the road.

When your locked on the front both tires can't maintain traction in corners one has to slip. That slip is what causes the front end push. IMO it wouldn't make much difference if your locked In the rear or not.

You are wrong. Being locked in the rear is much worse.

Thanks everyone. I knew that this was going to be more of an "opinion" type of question when I posed it. Some of you have asked why I am opposed to ARB and the reason is simple: I don't want to have to deal with air hoses, fittings, compressors, etc. It just isn't for me. Now that Ive heard the negatives on OX, I am probably going to discount them as well. I'm not interested in something I constantly have to maintain.

As I said before, I had a spartan in the front and open rear in my YJ, which I liked. For those that were wondering why I am opposed to regearing, I had a VERY bad experience when I had my regear done on my YJ. Ultimately, that's what led me to selling it and getting an XJ....so that is totally off the table for me...now and in the future. I simply won't ever consider it again. If I can't do it with 3.55 and 31's, I wont be doing it. 'Nuff said.

So, that leaves me the option of doing an Eaton E-locker in the front and and auto in the rear or autos in both. The Eaton is also some what expensive...as this discussion goes on, it's looking more and more like I'll end up with autos...if I keep my XJ that is (I have my own steering saga going on with it right now....).

Thanks everyone. I knew that this was going to be more of an "opinion" type of question when I posed it. Some of you have asked why I am opposed to ARB and the reason is simple: I don't want to have to deal with air hoses, fittings, compressors, etc. It just isn't for me. Now that Ive heard the negatives on OX, I am probably going to discount them as well. I'm not interested in something I constantly have to maintain.

As I said before, I had a spartan in the front and open rear in my YJ, which I liked. For those that were wondering why I am opposed to regearing, I had a VERY bad experience when I had my regear done on my YJ. Ultimately, that's what led me to selling it and getting an XJ....so that is totally off the table for me...now and in the future. I simply won't ever consider it again. If I can't do it with 3.55 and 31's, I wont be doing it. 'Nuff said.

So, that leaves me the option of doing an Eaton E-locker in the front and and auto in the rear or autos in both. The Eaton is also some what expensive...as this discussion goes on, it's looking more and more like I'll end up with autos...if I keep my XJ that is (I have my own steering saga going on with it right now....).

Im really curious about your regear experience in your YJ, both my jeeps are regeared, but they both have tires that are 3-4" taller then stock, but for 31s theres no need to regear any how, i rocked 31s for 2 years with 3.55s, no problems off road at all.

I still wouldn't suggest a auto locker of any kind for the rear if you wish to have decent street manners, it will click, bang and ratchet on dry pavement and be a over steer queen on snow and ice. Leave it open, get a LSD or a E locker for the rear and Lunchbox or E locker for the front. Also no one says you have to do both all at once.

Im really curious about your regear experience in your YJ, both my jeeps are regeared, but they both have tires that are 3-4" taller then stock, but for 31s theres no need to regear any how, i rocked 31s for 2 years with 3.55s, no problems off road at all.

I still wouldn't suggest a auto locker of any kind for the rear if you wish to have decent street manners, it will click, bang and ratchet on dry pavement and be a over steer queen on snow and ice. Leave it open, get a LSD or a E locker for the rear and Lunchbox or E locker for the front. Also no one says you have to do both all at once.

Currently, eaton doesn't make an e-locker for the crysler 8.25. I contacted them and they said they weren't planning to soon, but "maybe in the future". So, that pretty much leaves little to no options in the rear: auto, LSD, or open. I ran a ford 8.8 in my YJ with LSD. I never noticed a difference between it and the open diff off road wise.

I ran Detroit True Track in the front of my xj with a trac lock in the rear through the Rubicon and had no issues. I recently swaped in a n 8.8 and plan installing a Detroit Locker. If you drive a lot in the snow and plan on having your wife drive in the snow and need your wife to have a vehicle that she can put the petal to the mettal in the snow to get out of a bad sittuation with good handling and relialbility then you should put in Detroit True Track front and rear.

Back