• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

After a month or so messing with the front axle, I moved to the rear. The PowerTrax device I installed just prior to Moab in October failed at SierraFest and I wanted an ARB locker to replace that overpriced piece of crap.

VoSFRnICXhzJNUC3h7EESsETndBsArkOQ-N4u15oQJYLAYspN

After I yanked the 8.25, I ordered a Viair compressor and tank. Things were looking up for the Frog.

rUtte0bLXkgKzX8TR8LyBVKLnZ668toJGS6NGg9XgAgLAYspN

[FONT=&quot]I figured I'd build a cargo box to hold the spare, OBA equipment, and other off road essentials.

ZV3Nq8A77Nmekui3dLX7HuVmJ6KWVQuoRrKSc8MUh6ULAYspN

qeu_ZKG_0UlpP1pRddEixHl37Ld9MPTAgkZHt71R5WQLAYspN

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I got my rear axle back with new ring and pinion and ARB air locker installed. I had a guy in Rosamond do the work and he did a great job.[/FONT]

LQhjARsn9dUfoPRvFGJDYOnvTYMVw3fP_7-FbEQMMYYLAYspN

[/FONT]
The rear axle went in pretty fast, and I finished up the OBA wiring and plumbing. I ran into a few wiring snags, but got the bugs worked out pretty quickly. Here is the first test drive after axle installation.

[FONT=&quot]
1_68YyTz73Sm3up6dGCzBxqoRi6clGd4fOvZdQN6PtkLAYspN

WvGac8wIU_9g2OQ_P1a_xjl0cczyHzDfcgwWy_6dNIkLAYspN

7TOl1m-VfVg60db43XSEvQnK-SrrtCwRF-x12F3Y1zALAYspN

[/FONT]
Both lockers op checked good but I had a few leaks from the compressor plumbing. I was able to fix the leaks, wrap up the wiring, and am getting ready to complete the cargo box. I think I'll cover it in black carpet for a more professional look. The top of the box contains the air tank, recovery kit, and misc parts box.

[FONT=&quot]
lYP3eEg0CeEXlSxjuBmABzJ4DodVrQh1YZB4lLc0LhMLAYspN

[/FONT]
Left side has the compressor and main power switch, plumbing for the air chuck, and my emergency tools. [FONT=&quot]

brSiV93s-wSZqkCv840c6vmkZ2clvhvt3X9EzffC_nkLAYspN

[/FONT]
Right side has the tire tool, first air kit, flashlight, and fire extinguisher. [FONT=&quot]

5B52OmYnAUyXTe4xQURqviUp3DBg8FMpdmYVLMI7_Q4LAYspN

[FONT=&quot]This is my [FONT=&quot]f[/FONT]ron[FONT=&quot]t power switch location. I ta[FONT=&quot]pped into a[FONT=&quot]n open fuse [FONT=&quot]for keyed [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]electrical power.

YuqNgzxCGYNHknZ20l8ap25KyiGr9no8c-MMP079KqcLAYspN

[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
looking good Kelly! it seems like a cross pin/open carrier failure to me so the full carrier locker should really nip that in the butt. If it took you 5 years to destroy 2 open carriers both at once, it will take you 8-11 to destroy the full carrier lockers so you have some serious time on your hands.

Thank you for the Sierra Fest pictures Kelly.

Your rig was amazing before the upgrade now it is turning into a beast!

this is my favorite pic:
Knucklehead 61's off road towing service at the ready!
i didn't even feel you back there. :D

e_JaQIZm3iu1ed4nDDZdgJMBMNkIxR-EQLl_-C8xcT0LAYspN

I had about 30 minutes to read Tim's rear window sticker. Funny guy.[/QUOTE]

Pics no worky here..

Deaver, Alcan, or National seem to be the leaf of choice for most.

He is hitting the replacement part of the 4x4 parts life cycle. You can only get so many years out of parts when you wheel them hard.

Im back from a few days in Havasu Arizona and plan to find replacement leafs for te pig. While there, i got bit by the Polaris bug and i have convinced myself that i need to find a side by side. Holy crap those are sweet.

Im back from a few days in Havasu Arizona and plan to find replacement leafs for te pig. While there, i got bit by the Polaris bug and i have convinced myself that i need to find a side by side. Holy crap those are sweet.

i have a rzr8oo with a lone star racing +8" long travel suspension kit with elka shocks, & pitbull growlers on beadlocks, & a full trask 1/2" thick uhmw belly skid.
it will surpass my green XJ on any trail & will almost keep up with my red XJ on big rocks! they are insanely fun. :spin1:

I bought a set of Cree 2x18W LEDs yesterday on Amazon and they arrived today. These are a very good build quality and feel beefy and look great. Total price was 30.99 for the set. No tax and no shipping (Prime). Amazon lists these at 99.99, with an initial price drop to 49.99, and a new price of 30.99. You can't go wrong with these at that price. Nice stainless hardware is included.

Product details:

One Pair, 18W 30 Degree High Output CREE LED Lights
Condition: 100% Brand New
QTY: 1 Pair (2pcs)
Color: Black housing with xenon white
LED Power: 18W/each light
Operating Voltage: 9-32V DC
1pc*18w high intensity CREE LED
Theoretical Lumens Output: 1800 LM
Operating Lumens Output: 1260 LM
Color Temperature: 6000K
Working Life: 50000 hours
Working Temperature: -40~85 degree
Material: Die-cast aluminum housing
Lens: Toughed glass
Mounting Bracket: Stainless steel
Spot Beam: 30 degree
50000 hours above life time.
Mounting stud is 1" long (30mm). Thread size is 5/16" (8mm)

Extremely bright even in day light. 30 degree long range focused beam allows you see far way or through the dark.
Sleek design aluminum heat sync housing.
Adjustable bracket makes changing direction of light beam easily.
Waterproof, dust-proof, rust-proof, anti-corruption, spot beam for extreme conditions.
18 watt/each high powered LED will consume substantially less power compared to standard halogen lights.
They are aftermarket parts. NOT D.O.T. approved. Do not use if D.O.T. is required. For off road use only.

Nilight® 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree Spot Led Work Light Bar Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd

41LoJ8BOxcL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Did some wheeling at Death Valley over the Christmas break, and again on some local trails (Rowher Trail and Red Rock Canyon area) in the past couple of weeks. The Jeep has been performing well and I really like the performance of the ARB rear locker and front Grizzly. Having a selectable rear has been great and I can really notice the difference from the limited slip devices I've had in the past (duh). Also, the Viair OBA system I've installed has been a good upgrade. I run an air separator for the locker and have an independent air chuck for filling tires. I've been able to easily help a side-by-side driver with a flat on Rowher and have used it several times for airing back up fairly quickly.

During the off road trip yesterday, I noticed some clunking in the rear. Initially thinking it was the head of one of the three kids in the back, I didn't worry much and drove back to my tow vehicle at the end of the day. While measuring for some new drive shafts from Tom Woods, I noticed a busted rear shock on the passenger side (split eye mount at the axle). I've broken one front and one rear RE monotube shocks since installation back in 2010, and replaced the front with Bilstein 5100s back in 2013. Looks like I'll be buying a set for the rear. This will be my first real purchase in 2015 and will need them before the Moab trip in March.

Last edited:
Ive got some practically new 5100's that are eye/eye, 0 miles, but a bit of surface rust. I'll grab the part number tomorrow if you're interested. They fit a 4.5" lift but I can't recall the measurements.

Back