• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Colorado Rant/Vent thread

I know some of people will have a hissy-fit about using a chemical fix instead of swapping the motor......but they aren't footin' the bill.
Amen to that! Besides, it's an outer water jacket, not a combustion chamber, or a race engine with a new window in the crank case.

That CRC web site listed a few similar products. You'll probably have some choices at your favorite auto parts.

Do ya think maybe heating up the crack area with a torch then hitting the crack with a few well placed stacked spot welds would work?

I've heard good things about that block sealer too.

I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether or not it would work for an extended period of time. Since it's Daniels rig and the plan was for him to take it to Ft. Collins for the winter reluctant to take the chance.

I think the best option for us at this time is to find a replacement short block.

It's gonna have to wait till business picks up again....probably some time around Nov. 7, 2012.:rolleyes:

I did weld one cast part, it had a 6" long hairline crack. Took it to my pop's house, we looked it up:
1. Gouge along the crack with a grinder.
2. Hi nickle rod, DC welder, forget the polarity.
3. Preheat the iron.
4. One inch stitch welds.
5. Use a hardening sealer on the inside.

It would have to be a huge crack to not seal permanently.

I guess I am my own worst enemy. I went back out and stuck the gasket to the mounting plate. My favorite blue sealer was still there, still tacky. It had no trouble holding the gasket in place. While I was wiping the gasket seat in the tank, it dawned on me that I probably didn't let the sealer tack up enough before installing the assembly. It's very likely the sealer let the gasket move. Chalk it up to installer error.

As I was filling the tank, I was thinking how great it would be to not smell gas. When I started the engine, I checked the fuel for leaks, checked my new-old exhaust for leaks. There was plenty of vapor spewing from the tailpipe, smells like...ANTIFREEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I am my own worst enemy. I went back out and stuck the gasket to the mounting plate. My favorite blue sealer was still there, still tacky. It had no trouble holding the gasket in place. While I was wiping the gasket seat in the tank, it dawned on me that I probably didn't let the sealer tack up enough before installing the assembly. It's very likely the sealer let the gasket move. Chalk it up to installer error.

As I was filling the tank, I was thinking how great it would be to not smell gas. When I started the engine, I checked the fuel for leaks, checked my new-old exhaust for leaks. There was plenty of vapor spewing from the tailpipe, smells like...ANTIFREEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Want to buy a motor with a slight crack in the block?

I figure for the time and effort involved to yank the motor and repair the block I'll be way ahead if I just drop in another motor. This thing has over 200k on it right now so it's lived a long time and deserves to be retired....and melted down.

So... less than 24 hours before we are supposed to be on the road with 2 horses, 1 cat and 1 dog the movers show up and have different paperwork than we do. We went with neighborhood movers to get us to VA, originally called them and told them we wanted to have them pack up our stuff for us, paid our deposit and figured we were good.

They called us at the beginning of this week to confirm... now we are dealing with a different person and apparently we did NOT pay for a "load and pack," so we spent a few hours on the phone over two days to straighten it out, and paid MORE of a deposit to pay for packing materials, etc. The woman we spoke with said that dispatch would call us and give us a time they would be arriving a day before they showed up, which could either be yesterday or today.

No call thursday...

No call This morning....

Wake up at 9... moving truck outside.

Have no paperwork saying its a "pack and load."

Must go back to Denver to get more guys to help load and get boxes and what not

Will not be back for a few hours... currently standing in our kitchen making phone calls to several people...

"Sounds like we won't be back for a while... we' probably get you packed up tonight and loaded sometime tomorrow..."

Sounds like I won't be leaving when planned.

:hang:

Edit: On a lighter note, the jeeps made it to VA in a timely and safe manner.

What a bunch of bs, is it too late to get your money back and go with a different company?

Another WW II hero is gone.

Got a call from Mom early this morning letting me know that my Step-Grandfather had just passed away at age 95.

This man had been a part of my life since I was 5 yrs. old and was the main person in getting me interested in the great outdoors -Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc. and for that I'll be forever grateful.He was a truly a great man without a mean bone in his body.He served in the U.S. Army including landing at Omaha Beach on D-Day and retired at the rank of Major.

I'll miss you Grandpa thank you for being the good person that you were. :tear:

Maj. (Ret.) Walter F. Smith :us:
8/2/1916- 10/15/2011

In the past 3.5 months I've lost 1 Grandma, 1 Grandpa, 1 friend, and my beloved Wolf-Dog.This shit is getting really old. :mad:

Last edited:
condolences Jeff -- 95 years is a long time, sounds like he made the best of it, for everyone.

Re: Another WW II hero is gone.

Got a call from Mom early this morning letting me know that my Step-Grandfather had just passed away at age 95.

This man had been a part of my life since I was 5 yrs. old and was the main person in getting me interested in the great outdoors -Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc. and for that I'll be forever grateful.He was a truly a great man without a mean bone in his body.He served in the U.S. Army including landing at Omaha Beach on D-Day and retired at the rank of Major.

I'll miss you Grandpa thank you for being the good person that you were. :tear:

Maj. (Ret.) Walter F. Smith :us:
8/2/1916- 10/15/2011

In the past 3.5 months I've lost 1 Grandma, 1 Grandpa, 1 friend, and my beloved Wolf-Dog.This shit is getting really old. :mad:

Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Been there done that, seven funerals in six years. Three of those were WWII veterans. It gets old real quick. The WWII vets in my family have always been the best. They are the greatest geration.

I know some of people will have a hissy-fit about using a chemical fix instead of swapping the motor......but they aren't footin' the bill.

I have no problem with the chemical fixes if they are accepted for what they are, temporary fixes to get you by until the proper repairs are made.

What I have a problem with is people that try to pawn off the chemical fixes as the right way to do it and then try to discredit legitimate mechanics who merely want to fix it right.

Sorry for your loss, Jeff.

Today, Blanco got hit by a car. I saw it. He's fine but I'm still feeling down. He got knocked a few feet, rolling, he picked up so much dirt his coat is gray. We took him to the emergency vet by Frank's place. Good vet, reasonable. Man, that was a loud thump. And then I scared the poor driver, cussing him out and running at him. I saw Blanco get up unbloodied, and I realized it was my freaking fault, and sat there apologizing to the driver. Poor guy.

Hang tough Heffrey. I know that's hard to deal with man. Call if ya need anything.

Fred....sorry man. I know that my oldest one is getting up there but I can't imagine how I'm going to respond if/when something happens (due to natural causes or an accident).

Back