• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The adjustable trackbar thread

jeepdeepfreak said:
Excuse my ignorance but what does "single shear and double shear" mean??I ask this because when I put my 5.5 inch lift r.e did'nt send the 10mm bolt for the track bar so I had to go to the hardware store and get the bolt,so i'm just making sure I got the right hardware.Is it just a 10mm bolt and nut?

The true advantage of double shear mounting is the increase in strength over single shear. In single shear, the force on the rod end places a force on the bolt that causes it to want to shear off (for lack of an easier wording) on one side of the rod end. The strength of the bolt is dependent upon it's cross sectional area IN ONE SHEAR PLANE.

Double shear is just what it says. A shear plane is created on BOTH SIDES of the rod end therefore doubling the cross sectional area greatly reducing the concentrated shear stress on the bolt.

HTH

generalleexj said:
so will rustys HD bracket and end fit on a RRO track bar or not ? i really need to know, ? someone please help me out, i dont wanna buy a whole new set up lol. thanks

yes - if they havent changed their tube type. Call them and order on the phone - tell them that the threads on the RRO trackbar are 11/16" and ask them if that is the size threads on their HD end. - that's what they should be.

You will also need thier bracket.

Good luck

ok an update on the trackbar stuff

the ES140R has 11/16" x 18 threads

the RRO trackbar has these threads, but is only threaded deep enough to thread that unit in all the way...
so if you cut the trackbar because you need to shorten it for a front axle swap with new bracketry - you will need to first drill the tube to 5/8" (the ID of the tube its self is smaller than that - then tap the trackbar to the 11/16" x 18.

The PROBLEM with the 11/16" x 18 is that is a very uncommon tap, and cost $100 when i was shopping for one in Hawayrd, CA from KYB Tools...

the common 11/16" fine thread is 11/16" x 16 - and that tap costs about $25.00

just an FYI incase anyone is looking to make a trackbar with an 11/16" heim joint and hopeing to just screw it into the RRO trackbar - the heim will most likely be a 11/16" x 16...

This does however mean that the Rusty's HD frame end should still screw into the RRO trackbar, as both the TRE's that RRO and Rusty's use are the ES140R with the same threads.

Has anyone tried the PORC track bar? I just ordered one today, but now I'm second-guessing the purchase. They told me it would work great with the 6" lift, and it bolts in to the stock location, no additional brackets required. Something doesn't sound right.

Brendon001 said:
Has anyone tried the PORC track bar? I just ordered one today, but now I'm second-guessing the purchase. They told me it would work great with the 6" lift, and it bolts in to the stock location, no additional brackets required. Something doesn't sound right.
the HD or the starndard duty adjustable trackbar?

the HD uses a heim joint mounted in single shear, and while that isnt the strongest possible configuration, i consider it an improvement over stock.

the way to make this better at a later time would be to buy a TNT customs frame mount and some misalignment spacers to turn the joint the other direction.

the Standard duty trackbar uses a TRE at the frame end and the only difference over the stock unit is the adjustability of it and the better bends in the unit to account for angle.

most adjustable trackbars are bolt in - no more/different brackets needed....

so, has anyone found a johnny joint that will thread into the non HD RE bar that origanally comes with the HIEM joint? So that way we can all get the RE drop bracket and screw a johnny joint into the end of our current bar and solve all our problems.

looks like you need a 3/4" LEFT HAND stud to weld to a 2" Superflex Joint or a 2" Johny Joint

XJ_ranger said:
looks like you need a 3/4" LEFT HAND stud to weld to a 2" Superflex Joint or a 2" Johny Joint

Does anyone make a 3/4" Left Hand threaded 2" superflex or 2" johny joint?

nope, but a local welding shop shouldnt have a problem setting a stud / bolt on there...

i have about 8 inches of lift and my RE track bar, non hd is cocked really bad b/c i think it is good for up to 5.5-6 inches of lift... does anyone have the Rock Krawler track bar and bracket? it is the cheapest at 160 for a track bar with 8 inches of lift - skyjacker and others are 200 +

thanks

aparke4 said:
i have about 8 inches of lift and my RE track bar, non hd is cocked really bad b/c i think it is good for up to 5.5-6 inches of lift... does anyone have the Rock Krawler track bar and bracket? it is the cheapest at 160 for a track bar with 8 inches of lift - skyjacker and others are 200 +

thanks

if youre on 8" lift...

you need a HD trackbar and bracket...

Call TNT Customs or RE and be done...

You may need to go over the axle with the trackbar mount.

I can confirm the JKS adjustable trackbar will work with 8" of lift and still have plenty of thread engagement. Just be sure to use lots of threadlocker on the jambnut. Also, be sure to get the johnny joint in a neutral position or it will cause your caster to change randomly. ;)

The TNT bar is also a fantastic bar and is probably a lot stronger than the JKS, but I wouldn't bet money on it. I just saw a photo of a guy who bent the bar a LOT. Can't recall his name, just search for my name and the word "trackbar". ;)

hmmm the RK is solid stock and the TNT dom... and you bent the tnt?! wow the RE HD though is not listed as good for that much lift... right now with my long arms i am having major alignment problems b/c of my track bar and it seems the axle is wandering too much b/c of my short track bar...

so the re hd would be a good choice? my RE seems to be strong but i am worried about length and adjustablity... also with the long arms which i am going to have to run limiting straps with the additional articulation i just want to make sure there is enough length so there will not be any binding...

thanks in advance

aparke4 said:
hmmm the RK is solid stock and the TNT dom... and you bent the tnt?! wow the RE HD though is not listed as good for that much lift... right now with my long arms i am having major alignment problems b/c of my track bar and it seems the axle is wandering too much b/c of my short track bar...

when the T&T trackbar first came out, it's wasn't .25 like it is now.....so that may be why that one bent. i found that out when i cut up my T&T trackbar to shorten it :)

Given my experience (which is only with the stocker, Rusty's old "HD" unit, RE HD, TNT's bar, and now JKS's), I recommend the JKS. It is threaded so you can adjust it. It works at 8" lift and I haven't had any issues. I could to go 10" and still have enough thread left to run it. Which is surprising because they claim it is design to work with 4-6". So maybe they are just saying that to protect themselves from lawsuit.... who knows!

hmmm got ya the jks is very nice from what i have heard... its hard though b/c for that price i might as well go up a few bucks and get the hd bracket combo from tnt or rk...anyone got one they wanna sell or trade for a RE unit?:looney:

thanks i will look into the jks

I currently have a black diamond with the heim (ptoooy!!) joint and I hate the thing , it wears heims out quick.I'm sure salt and stuff here in MI doesn't help!! I've thought about getting the rustys upgrade stuff because it will work (they make a 3/4" rh thread end) but I'd rather get a new one and be done with it. The TNT looks bombproof for a DD with 3" of lift. Does anyone have one that they can give me some intel?
BTW anyone wanna buy a perfectly good BD bar that just needs the rusty upgrade?

From experience, heims are noisy on the road and tend to wear quickly. stay away from them. They are good off road where clunking etc is expected. They are pretty cheap (race car shops sell them for $15) if you need to replace them.

Back