• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Texas Utility rates exploding &.....

Ok, All you need to do is have the town you live in turn off the MAIN breaker on their house at high noon, then at 12:05 turn back on the MAIN breaker in protest... This will send a wave of chit all over the place...If you turn a grid off an then back on it will screw them.. Just like it did in cal when they lost a main line years ago, in north end of cal... Killed us down here for 10 hours... Try it.... What could it hurt??????

Ecomike said:
You do not cite your source for the definition of regulations.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Regulations

If you don't like that one you can also try:

1: the act of regulating : the state of being regulated2 a: an authoritative rule dealing with details or procedure <safety regulations> b: a rule or order issued by an executive authority or regulatory agency of a government and having the force of law3 a: the process of redistributing material (as in an embryo) to restore a damaged or lost part independent of new tissue growth b: the mechanism by which an early embryo maintains normal developmentsynonyms see law

taken from: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regulations

Again, you play with semantics. New regulations vs. old regulations. The old regulations no longer exist, therefore, any change in the current regulation would be, in effect, a new regulation. No matter how you slice it man, the outcome is the same.

My work over the past decade as a paralegal has shown me that administrative rules are in fact laws. If you want to test that theory try to go against any of the rules, regulations, and/or executive orders as set forth in the Administrative Code and see how far you get.

If you would like to continue the discussion by responding to any of the questions that have been presented to you by myself and others, I'll happily do so, but until such a time as far as I am concerned this matter is closed. I have desire to debate circular logic and semantics. I will agree to disagree with you and continue to seek to reduce the government stranglehold on the citizens of this country. As I said before, reputo solvo exsisto solvo.

scottmcneal said:
Ok, All you need to do is have the town you live in turn off the MAIN breaker on their house at high noon, then at 12:05 turn back on the MAIN breaker in protest... This will send a wave of chit all over the place...If you turn a grid off an then back on it will screw them.. Just like it did in cal when they lost a main line years ago, in north end of cal... Killed us down here for 10 hours... Try it.... What could it hurt??????

Now your talking! But as you pointed out the cure may hurt more than the disease, LOL.

On you other ?, "If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?" is probably both if you don't pay her!:shiver:
-------------------------
I found some interesting web sites on the Great Depression if anyone wants to know more about it. This one has a huge long list of blow by blow events:

http://www.futurecasts.com/Depression_descent-end-'31.html

And I forgot about the dust bowl:

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article4135.html

Here is a web site that seems to cover all the debated causes of the Great Depression.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Great_Depression,_U.S.

guys, lets stop. Eco is doin the drive by politics. He will argue around a point, yet never stay truly with it, he wants to use symantics to cover him. We are responsible for Hitler, the Republicans did it, ect... What alot of individuals like him do is the drive by politics, he throws out alot of ideas, smears one side or the other, and then tries to move around without ever touching back on any one idea, unless it's to pick out definitions. Do you see, I asked a few, easy, straightforward questions, he prefers not to answer. Because his answers will show his true leanings. Remember his poor people will die without ac, his attack directly on the rep. party, the we are responsible for Hitler? Do you understand "When I was young and ignorant" His I'm a changed Republican? Most libral people feel we're too dim whitted "study your history" to catch on. I personally do not feel that America is the bad guy, responsible for Hitler, and now responsible for high electricity bills, that we need to protect the poor from. It's a Don Quiote deal libs need a fight, just not one to be too involved in, they want to save the world with your hard work, and money

Eco throws a lot of information out there, and personally I have better things to do than run around reading 400 articles just so someone can prove a point. Either you can argue your point in a clear and concise way or you lose your audience.

Here is what I did get though.

1. EcoMike doesn't want more regulations, he wants the ones already in place revised.
2. Apparently Eco feels that he is compelled to buy electricty or he will die.
3. Everyone else is tired of the government meddling in every little frickin thing and would like the free market take care of itself (cell phone wars ring a bell?...prices are down, innovations are up)

In this case I can't say I disagree with ECO, if there are regulations in place that are ineffective or encourage consumer rape then they need to be revised or abolished completely. Mike, I will say that you are shooting yourself in the foot with your mile long answers.

Wow. I step away for a couple of days and look what I miss. :)

In Eco's defense, he's at least avoiding the Ad Hominems and strawmen that others are tossing around like candy. Keep it civil, folks, or walk on by.

We've got people from every walk of life around here. If you can't get along with folks who might not agree with your politics, then don't get in a political discussion with them.

Now hold on Kendrik....I don't consider pointing out the flaws in his logic or questioning his political beliefs either form of fallacy you mentioned. No one is saying that his political beliefs are incorrect because of any other aspect of his personality. We were merely pointing out our feelings about his thought processes as evidenced in this thread. Nor did anyone actually ignore his position and substitute a distorted one (gee, and I thought that class in college that discussed fallacies was silly and stuff I'd never use!)

Also, I don't think that your position that we should not discuss politics with someone who does not agree with our position is a fair one. What is the point of discussing if everyone agrees? Challenging a person to think is how we learn and evolve man. If we didn't do that we would all be a herd of sheeples.

Ian re-read that whole sentence.

Kendrik said:
If you can't get along with folks who might not agree with your politics, then don't get in a political discussion with them

He's not saying that no one should have discussions, put the emphasis on the first half of the sentence.

1986XJIan said:
Now hold on Kendrik....I don't consider pointing out the flaws in his logic or questioning his political beliefs either form of fallacy you mentioned. No one is saying that his political beliefs are incorrect because of any other aspect of his personality. We were merely pointing out our feelings about his thought processes as evidenced in this thread. Nor did anyone actually ignore his position and substitute a distorted one (gee, and I thought that class in college that discussed fallacies was silly and stuff I'd never use!)

YOU didn't do any of those.

1986XJIan said:
Also, I don't think that your position that we should not discuss politics with someone who does not agree with our position is a fair one. What is the point of discussing if everyone agrees? Challenging a person to think is how we learn and evolve man. If we didn't do that we would all be a herd of sheeples.

Like Burbon said, I didn't say don't discuss politics, I said don't discuss politics if you can't stay civil while you do it. We're a jeep club, and I'd hate to see something as silly as this make us not want to hang out anymore.

I"m sorry if my passion for some form of truth and appearance of defending one's views offends. However, I will state one last time, to attempt to make such attacks, once again Republican's are to blame is a jump off the cliffs of reality. I am not for any one party, I'm for the truth, fairness and honesty. To do round about combat, America was responsible for Hitler's rise to power is absurd, defense? The people of Germany were to blame, not the people here. Just like we're to blame for the mess we're in today. I promise this is the last post to this thread, maybe. Also, I explained my views from the beginning, only to be pushed aside for the hit and run of the more intelligent individual, remember when he was "young, selfish, rash, idealistic, and ignorant"? I call B.S. it is a great line, because now he's "become more humble". I mearly asked specific questions, and easy, because I need to study my history, remeber that toss? I'm sure we will get along fine, we probably will never talk polotics together, if so, I'm sure we'll still have a good time. I'm mearly defending the view of others in this mess. I enjoy the information tha Eco puts up, and I do read, and try hard to see all sides. I'll try to play nice:wave: is this ok?

Last edited:
without a lively and spirited debate, it would become a lecture. I will not use large words and pronouns to cover what I mean. One of the biggest problems we as a nation face is the fact that most people will not tell you what they think, untill something is over, then they just want to complain about the outcome. To throw out accusations, then run from the questions is, well, I've explained it enough. The people that read this have the opportunity to see our sides and to understand for themselves. I am and will remain a simple man, with simple arguments. Some wish to thrust and parry, I would rather get to the point. Some are wordsmiths, whom could make a pile of poo, seem a wonderful object, I call it poo.

msrorysddad said:
One of the biggest problems we as a nation face is the fact that most people will not tell you what they think, untill something is over, then they just want to complain about the outcome.

Oh, I dunno, it seems more like people don't think until it's too late and has actually effected their lives in a way that they are unhappy with, so all that is left to do is complain.

msrorysddad said:
Some are wordsmiths, whom could make a pile of poo, seem a wonderful object, I call it poo.

Yes, but I do make very eliquent poo sometimes. :laugh3:

I enjoy you guys. I truly believe we have WAY (I yelled) more in common, than we do in opposition. I actually agree with Eco, in a way. However, I Think we need to change people's attitudes. I know, it's sad you can't just tell people that life is more about who we affect, not how rich we leave our families. Our society has become more about money, and status, and less about our friends, and neighbors. We are so busy that we can't get together as close as Sam Houston state park to hang out and fish/wheel. My heart breaks everytime I see someone in need, however I have a hard time helping everyone, and it seems the more you "help" some the less they are willing to help themselves. By the way is opposition a big word? I'm trying. Oh, by the way:puke:

Ok, it seems to be time for me make another drive by!:wave:

Got my latest electric bill yesterday, pased out and just came too again. IT was 19.6 cents per Kwh. :gag: It had been 12 cents per Kwh just 6 weeks ago. They are adjusting the rate every 2 weeks based on natural gas futures market prices which have jumped nearly 100% in the last 12 weeks, inspite of the fact that stored US natural gas inventories rose by 57 billion cubic feet last week alone, and has been rising for 3 months. I still do not know what the rate will be for the next 4 weeks, and short of turning off the power there is nothing I can do about it. My new REP rate won't go into effect for another 4 weeks. My usage was just under 2,000 Kwh, and so it was right at $400 for my last elelctric bill.

This was in a newsletter in my email today:

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The head of the Senate's government affairs committee Wednesday unveiled a series of restrictive proposals aimed at financial speculators in commodities, including one that would place an outright ban on big pension funds buying agricultural and energy futures.

The three legislative ideas from Connecticut's Joe Lieberman, which the independent senator plans to discuss at a hearing June 24, count as the most drastic efforts yet from lawmakers targeting potential culprits behind high oil and grain prices.
The most severe would prohibit private and public pension funds with more than $500 million in assets from investing in agricultural and energy commodities traded on a U.S. futures exchange, foreign exchange or over the counter, according to materials provided by Lieberman's office.
A second plan would direct the Commodities Futures Trading Commission to establish total limits on the share of the commodity market held by financial investors.

A third proposal would direct the futures regulator to impose speculative-position limits on any stakes not related to real hedging activities, an action that could limit the commodities-swaps activities of big investment banks such as Goldman Sachs Group (GS: Goldman Sachs Group, Inc

"We are not, as some continue to argue, witnessing the ebb and flow of natural market forces at work. We are instead seeing excessive market speculation at work and that is why our government must step in with new laws to protect our economy and our consumers," said Lieberman in a statement.
Lieberman will most likely introduce legislation with Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, after the July 4 holiday recess, said a staff representative of Lieberman. That legislation could incorporate some or all of these proposals, depending on feedback from witnesses at the hearing, as well as the public.
Investment banks and pension funds aren't waiting for that forum to make their anxiety about Lieberman's proposals known. A statement penned by six influential trade groups, including the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, the Financial Services Roundtable and the Investment Company Institute, warned that efforts to bar financial investors from
commodities markets could "substantially harm the ability of Americans to protect themselves against inflation."
"Blaming speculation or any specific trading practice for rising or falling commodity and energy prices without real evidence of wrongdoing is misguided," said the statement. "Those kinds of charges create the very real possibility that speculators will choose to abandon these markets and use their investment dollars elsewhere," and such an exodus threatens the healthy functioning of the markets, it said.
The CFTC, under pressure from Congress to show it is working to rein in excess speculation in commodities markets, said Tuesday that it was closing the "London loophole" by making London traders of the benchmark U.S. oil contract follow the same speculative-position limits as their U.S. counterparts.
Despite analysis from the futures watchdog that there's little correlation between high commodities prices and the recent wave of financial investing, many big users of energy and grain markets argue that supply and demand can't be the only reason for the commodities boom. They've called for more regulation of financial investments in commodities.
Some investors and exchanges, including the CME Group &
New York Mercantile Exchange, however, have warned that more restrictions could drive investors to overseas or less-regulated markets -- and could even inflate prices further.

Last edited:
OK...soooo....let me get this straight.... The lawmakers are proposing a limit on who can buy and on they speculate. This caps things for American companies while the rest of the world runs around driving up the prices higher, but American companies are limited. How does this make sense in anyone's mind? How does anyone see this as a good thing?

Hello! A major part of the problem now is that our economy is already being strangled and the American dollar isn't worth squat. Other countries can buy the energy products at rates that make the sellers more money and that's why the price seems so high here!

I'm truly shocked and appalled.

A friend of mine told me yesterday that the City of Houston and a neighboring city are passing out traffic tickets now to kids driving unregistered bicycles. I guess the city is having a hard time with higher gas rates and needs a new revenue source.

This thread should be titled as the topics turn... IAN, you have a great point. Eco, you surely have a funny one with the bike's. The laws are made up by people who have never had to work for their money (for the most part) They create laws to benefit one group or another, we live in a soundbite world. The law Eco pointed out sounds great until you think about the fact that there will be others who get around the law and make even larger profits, I promise, the law was not made without considering who would profit, and the lawmakers are not looking for the citizens to profit, we are merely a labor pool, see our education system to prove that. As for the ticketing bicycles, I would need to research that one a bit. However, I believe that Texas state law applies to any form of transportation used on public roadways in the state of Texas. You are required to have certain lights, and adhere to the laws just as any motor vehicle must. The problem with cyclists is the danger they pose to motorists, as well as themselves. When we were building these roads for the suburban, expedition gas guzzling autos, we should have been building bike and pedestrian lanes as well. I see workers quarters and "government housing", well even more for the "lower classes" in our near future. We the "middle class" are a dying breed. Man I posted this without spellcheck, what a mes it was, get it, mes, oh I'm so funny:wave1: Holy crap, check the run on sentences.

Last edited:
Back