• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there build thread

If your wanting a decent kit to go hit those trails with and be on 33's go with a 4.5" kit. We have the RC 4.5 and it does just fine for the green and orange trails. And the plus side is that it doesn't break the bank either. You can use the extra money to do the sye and upgrade shocks and stuff like that. It's an easy kit to put on in a driveway as well.

Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there buil...

I seriously want some links to good lift kits that are not junk. Unless I see some people actually helping with that.

...... Really? I can see now why the others don't like you... We have ALL been giving you accurate and great advice. It's your stubbornness that is stopping you from seeing that. We have gave you names to look up, gave you other options(smaller lifts, lockers) its your fault if you choose to ignore the advice given. Don't be "that guy"

Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there buil...

This is why people consider you an immature, helpless baby. There's good advice in here. There's people that want to help you help yourself. And all you want is spoonfed website links so you don't have to think.

And you're going to ignore your own thread unless we give it to you? **** you dude. **** you.

You don't rate to make those demands. You barely rate to participate in the threads at all. I seriously took the high road. I explained very eloquently what we all thought you needed to do and you shit on it. You're a lazy, mooching jackass who thinks that your $35 a year gives you all the friends you need and the luxury of being spoonfed everything you want. I got news for you. When you get off your ass and help yourself, other people will want to help you too.

What I wouldn't give to live 30 minutes from the friends I've made on NAXJA.

I'm Larry and I support this message.

It would be a dangerous world if you lived half an hour from me.

This thread brings all kinds of win, like i knew it would.

Re: Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there buil...

It would be a dangerous world if you lived half an hour from me.

This thread brings all kinds of win, like i knew it would.

a lot of "allegedly" would happen.

This is why people consider you an immature, helpless baby. There's good advice in here. There's people that want to help you help yourself. And all you want is spoonfed website links so you don't have to think.

I was reading the advice, taking it in. I don't know a good quality kit from a bad kit. From reading here, the few things I knew to avoid was add a leafs, blocks and other things. I am not helpless, but I don't like diving head first into something I never done before. I do as much as I can on my XJ that I have done before or know I can do (mostly oil changes and brakes, haven't had much beyond that that I had any issues with at home. The issues on the trail was only an alternator and it takes me much longer to do something the first time, so trying to replace that myself in an hour or so span before WF dinner and before darkness is an issue. I paid it forward to Bob for helping me with that now that I am in a much better financial position) and plan to pay it forward at events as much as I can. I even got spare parts for free and paying it forward to another member here (Hey Flex, I will get with you this week about those visors).

And you're going to ignore your own thread unless we give it to you? **** you dude. **** you.
No, I was going to ignore posts like this, the ones that are not helpful at all. Rew, thank you, that is what I was looking for. I don't much about what I would need to lift once, and frankly, the more I think about it, a smaller lift and 31's might be what I do for a while.

You don't rate to make those demands. You barely rate to participate in the threads at all. I seriously took the high road. I explained very eloquently what we all thought you needed to do and you shit on it. You're a lazy, mooching jackass who thinks that your $35 a year gives you all the friends you need and the luxury of being spoonfed everything you want. I got news for you. When you get off your ass and help yourself, other people will want to help you too.
I don't participate in many threads because my knowledge in most areas of those threads don't compare to what others are posting. Why would I post on something I don't know much about, that would be stupid and open grounds for more ridicule. Frankly, I don't post much of anywhere anymore, just do a lot of reading. That isn't just for this forum, but many others. I pay it forward every time I feel I have the ability to. Sometimes that means giving a membership away to help this chapter win a freaking winch to give away at a trail clean up that you might win if you go or purchase $60 worth of tickets at an event and not win on most and the one I win on I let the next person take it.

I honestly think the person who lives closest to me is Byron, he is an hour. Maybe Flex as the crow flies, but roads means I have to drive an hour and half. The only Jeep person near me is a TJ'er I know within 30 minutes is a TJ'er from facebook. I don't know how helpful he would be on working on a XJ.

I am not above working on my XJ, but as I said previously, I don't dive head first into something like this that involves suspension that if not done correctly can lead to driving issues that could cause wrecks if not done right. I would rather work side by side with someone who knows what they are doing or garage it out if that is not an option. I think I have seen two lifted XJ's in town, I don't know who owns either of them. If someone was to help, I don't drink so there would be alcohol, but there would be food. I done work for food for friends and realize that work shouldn't be for free if you can afford to not pay it forward. Luckily, financially things are 200% better then they were even six months ago.

FTR, lockers, sliders, and skids were on my radar and possibly this year pending how much everything else runs, just want lift and tires prices before I get that far and commit.

Last edited:
I drove two hours to lift my Jeep then drove home with an upside down steering wheel. I do have friends around here to help but a lot of times they are busy. I have driven to Brad's with parts in the back to throw in my Jeep several times. If someone is willing to help you, you should drive to them. Also, it helps if you show up with food and beverages. Just take some initiative to learn and work on your own junk. It saves you lots of money and you learn something.

I didn't say I wasn't willing to drive it though (or at least didn't mean to imply that) especially if it can be done in a day.

it doesn't have to be done in a day either. Sam drove his jeep with the 6" leafs and 2" spacers for a couple days before getting the front on IIRC. and that's a hour drive from his house to the shop.

You are missing the freaking point completely, but its understandable ive seen your posts.

The point isnt this kit or that kit or not listening to advice. The point is that your unwilling to step up and DO anything about this jeep build. Nobody here knew a damn thing about jeeps or maybe even vehicles in general when thy got started. I have countless hours in reading magazines, build threads etc and paying attention to how different products work for different people. There's more info out there than ever go figure it out! Youre the racehorse thats afraid to leave the gate, and judging by your posts that extends to life and not jeeping. JUST GO F****** DO IT. You are trying to skip a lot of steps in this hobby and they are arguably the most fun ones.

Your vehicle is set up for what YOU want it to do and only you can decide that. Dans is set up for capable comfort that he didnt have before, josh sets his up to haul kids anywhere on the trail so its always a family affair, aaron set his up to be his legs into the wilderness without a trailer, mine are set up to drive hard in big rocks. Everybody gives each other technical advice and opinions but all of our shit is different. We didnt all decide that right out of the gate, we had no idea what the hell we were doing then, ask anyone they will tell you the same thing. But the more you actually get out and do it, the more youll know what you want. Thats why we do it in the first place, to just get out and do fun stuff

I didnt type all that out because im an asshole, i really am trying to help. You wont get anywhere in life with te attitude you show, and you damn sure wont get far in the jeep hobby with it.

I like slim vaginas!
you cant argue with his logic...

seems to be quite a bit of logic here.

a lot of "allegedly" would happen.
i pissed myself.

From reading here, the few things I knew to avoid was add a leafs, blocks and other things. I am not helpless, but I don't like diving head first into something I never done before. I do as much as I can on my XJ that I have done before or know I can do (mostly oil changes and brakes, haven't had much beyond that that I had any issues with at home.
if you can rebuild a drum brake setup... you can do a suspension lift. seriously, its nuts and bolts and cursing on a vehicle you said wasnt your DD. ive swapped motors and tore apart transfer cases in my college parking lots. your provisions are much better. your motivation is just not there. someone will always take your money to do it though. you have to plan... you have to consider variables that youll learn the hard way. we all did it.

No, I was going to ignore posts like this, the ones that are not helpful at all. Rew, thank you, that is what I was looking for. I don't much about what I would need to lift once, and frankly, the more I think about it, a smaller lift and 31's might be what I do for a while.
i think using a "scientific" approach is what you need to do. identify what it is that you dont know, and ask a specific question instead of just saying gimme. but that would involve some critical thinking.
- what makes lift X better than lift Y? quality? components in lift? do i need said components for my use?
- i want X.X amount of lift to clear XX tires... brand Y coils really seem to have good reviews (wait? what? you did research?) any opinions on making the rear match?
- blah blah blah...

notice all the bald heads in the MWC? thats a product of testosterone. none of these guys are going to nurture you. you got to work with them if you want them to work with you. either wise up, grow some thick skin, or youll get eaten alive...

I don't participate in many threads because my knowledge in most areas of those threads don't compare to what others are posting. Why would I post on something I don't know much about, that would be stupid and open grounds for more ridicule. Frankly, I don't post much of anywhere anymore, just do a lot of reading. That isn't just for this forum, but many others. I pay it forward every time I feel I have the ability to. Sometimes that means giving a membership away to help this chapter win a freaking winch to give away at a trail clean up that you might win if you go or purchase $60 worth of tickets at an event and not win on most and the one I win on I let the next person take it.
your reading? if that is the case, i guess the problem is retention or comprehension.

but your not helping the paying for friendship picture that RedHeep painted.

I honestly think the person who lives closest to me is Byron, he is an hour. Maybe Flex as the crow flies, but roads means I have to drive an hour and half. The only Jeep person near me is a TJ'er I know within 30 minutes is a TJ'er from facebook. I don't know how helpful he would be on working on a XJ.

I am not above working on my XJ, but as I said previously, I don't dive head first into something like this that involves suspension that if not done correctly can lead to driving issues that could cause wrecks if not done right. I would rather work side by side with someone who knows what they are doing or garage it out if that is not an option. I think I have seen two lifted XJ's in town, I don't know who owns either of them. If someone was to help, I don't drink so there would be alcohol, but there would be food. I done work for food for friends and realize that work shouldn't be for free if you can afford to not pay it forward. Luckily, financially things are 200% better then they were even six months ago.

FTR, lockers, sliders, and skids were on my radar and possibly this year pending how much everything else runs, just want lift and tires prices before I get that far and commit.
30 minutes is close... and these TJ'ers dont wrench?

Last edited:

the more I think about it, a smaller lift and 31's might be what I do for a while.

And as I've said before and others, if you are willing to trim your fenders, a simple 2" budget boost will allow you to run 31". Use the money you save by buying a Budget Boost to buy a locker or use as gas money to drive out to someone's house. If I lived closer, I'd totally help you instal one. Probably one of the best advice I've been given here is to piece out your lift, if you want to go 3.5" then buy the pieces separately, ask around here and I bet people would help cut you a deal or trade. Help save ya money so you can drive out to people's houses to get help

I thought your house had a garage? Pull the XJ in and do one thing at a time. I had my 95 torn apart for weeks and worked on it when I had time here and there.

Re: Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there buil...

And as I've said before and others, if you are willing to trim your fenders, a simple 2" budget boost will allow you to run 31". Use the money you save by buying a Budget Boost to buy a locker or use as gas money to drive out to someone's house. If I lived closer, I'd totally help you instal one. Probably one of the best advice I've been given here is to piece out your lift, if you want to go 3.5" then buy the pieces separately, ask around here and I bet people would help cut you a deal or trade. Help save ya money so you can drive out to people's houses to get help

you don't even have to cut stuff.

the racecar is 2" and 245s.
I guarantee it will go farther than you're comfortable taking a full bodied jeep.

My Parents didn't teach me how to work on cars/trucks. I started out with a brake job on my S-10 at the age of 16 years old, because I couldn't afford to pay a shop to do it. That turned into a V-8 swapped S-10, later into the lifted Cherokee and a bunch of other project cars. I taught myself 90% of what I know via research before I touched a project. I also accumulated tools over the years one purchase/gift at a time.

Hell, Now I am a Mechanical Engineer, turned it into a career because I hated how some stuff was designed and thought I could do better.

There is plenty of information in the Modified Section, Advanced Fabrication, etc.

if you didn't build it then how are you going to fix it on the trail?

My house has a garage, but my XJ doesn't stay there and it isn't exactly great for working on anything in it now (two cars barely fit in there now), it stays at my in laws and they didn't sound too thrilled I was going to change the oil there (A. can check my front brake pads since I had someone do the back drums in the last few years when I change the oil. B. They had my park it out in the gravel for a few weeks once after I got it muddy at the track). I honestly had forgotten one friend and gotten with him about him helping me put a lift on and he is local and he has put one on before.

Hoping to get with my other friend to get my bumpers painted in the next few weeks (the coating requires some time to cure also) and have them on by the end of next month before I go on vacation.

Here's my $0.02. I started wheeling in '08 and could barely change my own oil. "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll."

1) Sell your Jeep. Buy one that's already built. For what you're budgeting, you could buy a well put-together rig that's ready to drive and wheel.

2) Seriously, buy one that's already built. I have bought several put-together Jeeps and if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up. Considering they are usually cheaper than building one yourself.

3) If you ignored steps 1 and 2, and want to build it yourself, you are probably going to choose the wrong stuff anyway. We all have. We research for days or weeks (or longer!), make a decision then later realize what we should have done. I'm on rig number... four? I still don't know what I'm doing. Ask anyone here "what would you do different next time?"

4) Nothing works out how it should. Your install is going to be a disaster. You are going to have bolts seize to bushings. You are going to forget stuff. You're going to be stuck on a Sunday with one store open who doesn't have anything you need in stock. For instance, U-bolts. Does the lift you want come with them? How could they know what size you need?

I would go buy a jack and 4 jack stands first, and plan to park outside for a while. 3". 31s. Buy used if you can. Once you know how to do it, it's cheap and easy to move up later as you find parts. If you do it yourself you will be surprised how much you know at the end of it.

My house has a garage, but my XJ doesn't stay there and it isn't exactly great for working on anything in it now (two cars barely fit in there now), it stays at my in laws and they didn't sound too thrilled I was going to change the oil there (A. can check my front brake pads since I had someone do the back drums in the last few years when I change the oil. B. They had my park it out in the gravel for a few weeks once after I got it muddy at the track). I honestly had forgotten one friend and gotten with him about him helping me put a lift on and he is local and he has put one on before.

Hoping to get with my other friend to get my bumpers painted in the next few weeks (the coating requires some time to cure also) and have them on by the end of next month before I go on vacation.

one car garage is not a good excuse... EDIT TWO CAR GARAGE hahahaha

S-10 build in Vermont

When I lived in Peoria I had a one car garage too. Only when I moved to Sheboygan 2.5 years ago I upgraded to a 2 car garage. Then when I bought the house I got a good shop. Most of my stuff up to this point was built in a one car garage...

Back