• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tech Education

I guess that depends on your idea of safe?
There are VERY few side wall repairs that any NORMAL tire store will do. This tire repair is strictly to get you off of the trail and to safety. This is not a repair that should be used on the trail. Having said that, there is no reason that a side wall couldn't be repair and used for this purpose only in a safe manner.

Michael

I'm down for teaching a couple of other things if anybody is interested.

How about changing a D30 axle shaft and/or unit bearing?

Bent tie rod trail repair? (or we could let Rooneypower or Mojojojo teach this one)

Proper winching/recovery techniques? (we could get Sean to flop again and get his rig back upright) :)

Just tossing out ideas. Anything else that could be a valuable lesson?

John

XJSlater said:
How safe would a tire repair like that be? I was under the impression that a punctured sidewall was not repairable. :dunno: But if its safe then I would love to learn how.

TRYING HARD to find a run report from BC (circa 1999) where a guy had sliced two tires, one with a large sidewall slice and the second that was irreparable. His only option left (due to being way in the backcountry) was to repair the sidewall. Between baling wire, vulcanizing compound, mushroom plugs, and patches, he fixed it enough to get it on the road and drive several hundred miles at a decent speed. I remember even several months later it was still holding air and was actually his spare tire.

Same trip a guy had punctured his radiator on the bottom, which was trail fixed by rotating it sideways so the hole was on top and running spare hoses to the appropriate locations. Those bastards can fix anything. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
TRYING HARD to find a run report from BC (circa 1999) where a guy had sliced two tires, one with a large sidewall slice and the second that was irreparable. His only option left (due to being way in the backcountry) was to repair the sidewall. Between baling wire, vulcanizing compound, mushroom plugs, and patches, he fixed it enough to get it on the road and drive several hundred miles at a decent speed. I remember even several months later it was still holding air and was actually his spare tire.

Same trip a guy had punctured his radiator on the bottom, which was trail fixed by rotating it sideways so the hole was on top and running spare hoses to the appropriate locations. Those bastards can fix anything. ;)

As I have said before, I don't advocate driving on tires with punctured sidewalls, however. I have had at least 3 seperate 4wheeling trips where I have had at least two punctures in tires and didn't have a choice but to repair the puncture to get back home. This repair of Doug's is a "worst case" scenario that would come under the same situation as the story above and is a great learning experience for the group. Something alot less people feel comfortable with than I though :lecture:

John, sounds like good ideas to me. I think that basic winching techniques and spotting "communication" should be at the top of the list.

Michael

2xtreme said:
John, sounds like good ideas to me. I think that basic winching techniques and spotting "communication" should be at the top of the list.

Michael

Bummer you guys missed the class last year. Good stuff in that one, maybe Hans still has his notes from it.

ECKSJAY said:
Bummer you guys missed the class last year. Good stuff in that one, maybe Hans still has his notes from it.

I don't, I loaned mine to a TTCW team mate :D But Jeremy may have his. What about you Michael, do you have one? :gee:

Ba-Riedo said:
Ill also throw in a spelling class for you. I before E...:lecture:

I would also like the CB tuning and spotting class, maybe a proper winching technique with tree savers? Or is that more for noobfest?

-Alex

Ouch, now I really do feel like a noob for not knowing...

That's what happens when you've had your first Jeep for a week I guess, ehh?

It's awesome you all take the time to demonstrate this stuff.
I would like to see:
1. CB tuning
2. Hi-Lift
3. Sidewall repair
4. Tie-Rod repair

In addition:
A. Ever had a hole in your oil pan, tranny pan, gas tank? How do you fix that?
B. Track bar repair,
C. Leaf spring/u-bolt repair.
D. troubleshooting demo: what are the likely culprits if the jeep stops running, or doesn't start, or overheats, or on and on.

Just ideas

Sideshow said:
D. troubleshooting demo: what are the likely culprits if the jeep stops running, or doesn't start, or overheats, or on and on.
This is a great idea.

CrankPS vs. CamPS vs. TPS vs. etc....

Maybe Avanteone could be taked into giving explanation and diagnosis tips? When I was in Utah we had a 4.0 refuse to start, similar to what happened to my rig last time at Naches (crank, but no start) and I know that's happened to many of us.

Here's a pic of us helping a crippled XJ Truggy off the trial in Utah. Two pulling, one pushing and driving it off the starter...not the best end to a day:

268.jpg

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
This is a great idea.

CrankPS vs. CamPS vs. TPS vs. etc....

Maybe Avanteone could be taked into giving explanation and diagnosis tips? When I was in Utah we had a 4.0 refuse to start, similar to what happened to my rig last time at Naches (crank, but no start) and I know that's happened to many of us.

Here's a pic of us helping a crippled XJ Truggy off the trial in Utah. Two pulling, one pushing and driving it off the starter...not the best end to a day:
-----Matt-----

Yes, please. I think this is the kind of stuff that can ruin a day, on or off the trail.

I am up to learning anything that I can!!! Pretty new to wheeling and more knowledge the better... This has just doubled my interest in attending! Need to get my jeep running and driveable...

Guys, I was really hoping i could make it to NWfest. I would like to meet you all in person. I don't like the lack of inflection provided by meeting people in a Forum. I will have to wait for another event, maybe a M&G.
I'm in the Phillipines on a last minute trip for work and I won't make it to NW fest.
Oh well, more time to save for tires and wheels.
:cheers:

Back